weekend report

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2011
      Busy as usual lately!

      Yesterday:
      - someone picked up five teletypes
      - I made seven new museum posters

      Today:
      - accepted delivery of two DEC Rainbows (one original, one Rainbow 100)
      - sorted a few more boxes of used computer books that arrived this week
      - Jeff B. and I finished putting the right computers in the right rooms
      / desks
      - Rainbow needs a serial cable - I think it's a 15-ping male to 9-pin
      female, but I have to double-check
      - Atari 800 needs its video cable - we probably have one, I need to look
      - Epson QX-10 didn't turn on at all; we'll try some of the other units
      from the Kirk house
      - Apple II needs a new video cable; I have many at home and will bring
      one in
      - TI-99/4a works; we didn't try the expansion box
      - Xerox 820 turns on and immediately says "RAM Error" -- Jeff and I
      opened it and looked inside, but we weren't sure which chips are the RAM
      -- we have a service book and need to RTFM more closely
      - We measured all the museum rooms for shelving; tomorrow I'll go to
      Home Depot and get some prices; send that to Justin; and then we'll make
      some purchases
      - I measured the two event rooms (hotel dining room and 9032-A) so Bill
      and I can do the VCF exhibits layout
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25, 2011
        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

        >Busy as usual lately!
        >
        >Yesterday: - someone picked up five teletypes - I made seven new museum
        >posters
        >
        >Today: - accepted delivery of two DEC Rainbows (one original, one
        >Rainbow 100) - sorted a few more boxes of used computer books that
        >arrived this week - Jeff B. and I finished putting the right computers
        >in the right rooms / desks - Rainbow needs a serial cable - I think it's
        >a 15-ping male to 9-pin female, but I have to double-check - Atari 800

        DEC, in those days, used standard RS232 25 pin Ds for serial communication.
        When they did use 9 pin Ds, its mapping was NOT like that of the IBM 9 pin
        D RS232 configuration. Pins 1-8 on the 9 pin corresponded with pins 1-8 on
        the 25 pin RS232 designation. Pin 9 corresponded to pin 20. Do youselves
        a favor and keep the IBM PeeCee comms away from the old DEC kit. There is
        a likelihood of frying the drivers for the modem handshaking if you do.

        That 15 pin connector is NOT serial. If it sits next to two 25 pin jacks,
        one male, one female (IIRC), that is the video connection. If it sits on
        the extreme right, it is a later option for networking -- that connector
        is an AUI ethernet connector. Connecting either of these incorrectly to
        a serial comms device will very likely render them landfill fodder.