Early IBM PC, DOS 1.x values

  • Bill Pileggi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2006
      >What's the most anyone out there paid for an IBM PC, XT, or AT era
      >machine? Does anyone in this group have a Rev A motherboard IBM
      >PC with DOS 1.x original disks? I would think that one of those
      >would top $500.

      To answer this question (early 2005 prices) -
      MY copy of MS DOS 2.1 (Mint, still in shrinkwrap) sold for $100.
      My copy of IBM DOS 1.1 in EF/NM condition sold for $200.
      A copy of MS DOS 1.0 was sold a few weeks later for $1000.

      An IBM PC with CGA card, CGA monitor, original keyboard sold to a collector in Belgium for $1500. It was however, the second production run with plain finish steel panels and power supply (quite common).

      My first production run IBM PC with the BLACK panels, BLACK power supply with original keyboard, 2 working full-height IBM logo'd drives, EF fully operational condition (all items, esp. kybd.) sold privately for $400.

      Another way to tell if your IBM PC is first run: They were supplied with an Intel 8088 with a "bug". You have to look at top of CPU and read off info. to see if it's the one with the bug. Intel replaced them free, if you requested it; OR if you bought a math co-processor, they gave you a good 8088 in the same box... (Yes, mine above had the bug.)

      Most PC's and XT's after the first production runs quite common, $10, $20, $30, etc. depending on condition, cards installed, etc. They were produced as late as 1987, after all...

      Bill KA3AIS