Re: [midatlanticretro] Vectrex

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15, 2011
      --- On Fri, 4/15/11, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have any experience fixing a Vectrex ? I have one that was
      > stored in a garage for years, and when turned on, just doesn’t do
      > anything.

      I do.

      So, it's completely dead? No startup chirps? Have you turned the volume control all the way up? Can you feel static on the screen, or hear the high voltage whine? The distintive Vectrex buzz?

      Probably something wrong with the power supply, hard to say without seeing it. The Vectrex wasn't exactly the best made device, so I wouldn't rule out a bad connection or cracked solder joint either. You'll have to take it apart and follow the power cord, and trace through the circuit, make sure the fuse is good, etc.

      Usually, with these things, they work, but the screen is all jumpy or distorted. There are several electrolytic capacitors in the deflection section that go bad.

      -Ian