Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM 5155

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2006
      Degnan wrote:
      no..my copy is at work.
      IMHO

      If you don't have to have it shipped, it has the manuals, disks,
      and is in general complete, and especially if it has a hard drive
      or original box I would *consider* paying $60....

      I don't remember what the collectible microcomputer says, but my
      estimate is that you would pay a 20% premium on a 5155 (XT portable)
      vs. a similar 5160 (XT).  The range of XT's is $2 to $150+

      What's the most anyone out there paid for an IBM PC, XT, or AT era
      machine?  Does anyone in this group have a Rev A motherboard IBM
      PC with DOS 1.x original disks?  I would think that one of those
      would top $500.

      BD

      At Friday, 13 January 2006, you wrote:

      Fyi, we have one in the club collection, it's currently in the hands

      of

      It is in NJ, so pickup is possible. Has disks and manuals and 20MB MFM HDD.
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13, 2006
        60 bucks isnt a terror, but more then I would pay
        personally. I did mention the TIPPC *color* for 35
        shipped...Im more of a clone guy, and wanted to cry
        when I passed up a Columbia portable for 20 :(. Clones
        are much cooler ;)
        --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        <starbase89@...> wrote:
        > I might be getting a fully working IBM 5155 luggable
        soon. Just out of
        > curiousity, what is the average price, so I can know
        if $60 is a steal
        > or a rip-off?

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • John Allain
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2006
          All these factors if present add to the value.
          Free of bad visible defects
          Free of any visible defects
          Said to be working
          guaranteed to be working
          Includes software
          Includes manuals
          Includes media
          Includes box

          nothing included from above: $4
          perfect, everything included: $500
          *about half* of perfect: $60

          Picking the right number between the limits is definitely an art.

          Mike Nadeau's number $20 to $65, as published in 2002.

          Good Luck,
          John A.
        • Degnan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 15, 2006
            I completely agree.
            Bill D

            At Saturday, 14 January 2006, you wrote:

            >All these factors if present add to the value.
            > Free of bad visible defects
            > Free of any visible defects
            > Said to be working
            > guaranteed to be working
            > Includes software
            > Includes manuals
            > Includes media
            > Includes box
            >
            >nothing included from above: $4
            >perfect, everything included: $500
            >*about half* of perfect: $60
            >
            >Picking the right number between the limits is definitely an art.
            >
            >Mike Nadeau's number $20 to $65, as published in 2002.
            >
            >Good Luck,
            >John A.
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            -- E N D --