Re: [midatlanticretro] Apple ][

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011
      On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
      My google skills are weak this morning. Where do I find a disk image of just plain old DOS 3.2? I've been able to find lots of other disk images, but not just a plain old DOS disk.

      I'm not sure yet either
      But I can check my boxes of Apple II stuff when I get home today
      As I have to work on this too, I'm going backwards versus my IIeplatinum
      But I can't remember at the moment, don't you need the Autostart Rom for DOS ?
      Which is available with the Applesoft Roms
      Mine one has Integer Basic Rom and the other has Applesoft Roms
      It didn't sound like you have this in the first post.

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011
        does it have to be 3.2? I have a 3.3 image on my web site:

        http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread_record.cfm?id=60&tid=2

        Bill Degnan

        > My google skills are weak this morning. Where do I find a disk image of
        just plain old DOS 3.2? I've been able to find lots of other disk images,
        but not just a plain old DOS disk.

        > Thanks for any help.

        Apple

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011
          never mind...I see you meant Apple 3.2.!
          Bill Degnan

          > On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
          >
          > > My google skills are weak this morning. Where do I find a disk image of
          just plain old DOS 3.2? I've been able to find lots of other disk images,
          but not just a plain old DOS disk.

          > http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/masters/
          >

          > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011
            On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
            On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

            > My google skills are weak this morning. Where do I find a disk image of just plain old DOS 3.2? I've been able to find lots of other disk images, but not just a plain old DOS disk.

            http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/masters/

            thanks Mike !

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011
              On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

              On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
              My google skills are weak this morning. Where do I find a disk image of just plain old DOS 3.2? I've been able to find lots of other disk images, but not just a plain old DOS disk.

              I'm not sure yet either
              But I can check my boxes of Apple II stuff when I get home today
              As I have to work on this too, I'm going backwards versus my IIeplatinum
              But I can't remember at the moment, don't you need the Autostart Rom for DOS ?
              Which is available with the Applesoft Roms
              Mine one has Integer Basic Rom and the other has Applesoft Roms
              It didn't sound like you have this in the first post.

              Did some more digging online to refresh my fading memory
              You definitely have Integer Basic Roms in there like my 1st one. That's why you have to enter that command, to boot from the DISK II card in the 6th slot.

              My other one has Applesoft Roms where it automatically scans the slot to boot from the Disk II card.

              But it seems version 3.2 likes to have Applesoft Roms, while version 3.1 seems to run ok with Integer Basic Roms - I'm just not sure if I found enough info yet. Version 3.3 definitely sounds like you need Applesoft Roms.

              Maybe Mike W. can elaborate more on this.

            • Mike Willegal
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011
                The init program will have to be either in integer basic or applesoft
                depending upon what ROMs you have. This is the program that DOS runs
                immediately after booting. DOS can boot with either BASIC ROM set,
                if the init program matches the ROMs. As noted earlier in the thread,
                to boot from non-autostart ROMs type 6control-P from monitor or PR#6
                from BASIC, assuming the controller is in slot 6.

                If you have a firmware card in slot zero, with the other version of
                BASIC, then DOS will automatically switch to the correct version. DOS
                switches between integer and applesoft automatically when it loads a
                basic program.

                If you have a language card in slot 0 and you have the right basic
                image on DISK, DOS will automatically load the alternate version of
                basic into the language card while booting. I'm not sure what
                version of DOS started supporting this language card capability.

                Regards,
                Mike Willegal

                PS My new Brain Board can be used as a firmware card, if integer
                and/or applesoft BASIC images are burned into the EPROM on it.
              • Mike
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011
                  One other thing, unless you boot from a master disk, DOS assumes it is running on the same size memory footprint as the system it was initialized on. For most Apple ]['s this is 48K, but I had 36K on my system back in the day. :-)

                  Regards,
                  Mike Willegal