VCF: T-minus six weeks!

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2011
      Hi MARCHins,

      About VCF East, some people may think, "There's a month and a half to
      go! That is a long time from now. We can figure it all out later."

      But as grand poo-bah, I'm thinking, "AACCCKKKK! There's only a month
      and a half to go! We need to get things done NOW. Oh, the race to the
      deadline! Oh, the humanity!!!!"

      Translated: if you haven't yet registered your exhibit booths, DO SO
      NOW. It is perfectly okay if you don't have all the details, or even
      most of the details decided. Just include a sentence or two about your
      general exhibit plans / theme when you sign up at
      http://www.vintage.org/2011/east/exhibit.php .... it's * imperative * to
      not procrastinate, because doing that directly and negatively impacts
      our event marketing. (On the other hand, please don't let this scare
      you off!)

      Register here: http://www.vintage.org/2011/east/exhibit.php.

      Power-wise we are working with InfoAge's licensed electrician and others
      to get what is necessary. We hope that at least a couple of exhibitors
      other than just David G. are willing to bring some big iron this year.
      Again, though, this means we need to know your plans ASAP. We need
      details like wattage, NEMA plug requirement, etc. -- it's just not
      reasonable to expect us to anticipate everything, or to expect us to
      meet technical requirements on short notice.

      After last year's issue with our failed attempt to give three-phase
      power to one exhibitor, Fred now insists that we make all exhibitors
      sign a waiver holding InfoAge harmless for any equipment damage. I told
      him that's understandable, but ONLY if InfoAge and MARCH upholds OUR end
      of the bargain too. He understand and agreed. We're executing* on that
      now by asking what people need ahead of time and by having pros do the
      work, vs. just saying "good luck" to exhibitors.

      Workshops -- so far only two or three people signed up for each of the
      hands-on workshops. Saturday morning's workshop is "Build your own
      transistor-logic circuit" taught by Dan. Sunday morning's workshop is
      "Teletype 101" taught by Bill Deg., in which you can WIN a
      good-condition model '33. Each workshop costs $40 and you can sign up
      at http://www.vintage.org/2011/east/workshop.php.

      Thank you everyone for your continued assistance in retaining what's
      left of my sanity.

      * Okay ... that was poor word choice. :)
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2011
        On Sun, 3 Apr 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > But as grand poo-bah, I'm thinking, "AACCCKKKK! There's only a month
        > and a half to go! We need to get things done NOW. Oh, the race to the
        > deadline! Oh, the humanity!!!!"

        I managed to get some quality time in the Man Cave today. So far, I
        have the Osborne 1A and Executive in working order. The Vixen has jittery
        video, then locks up with a burst of random characters after a while.
        Could be bad caps in the power supply. The Osborne 1 is next to be
        tested.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2011
          >> But as grand poo-bah, I'm thinking, "AACCCKKKK! There's only a month
          >> and a half to go! We need to get things done NOW. Oh, the race to the
          >> deadline! Oh, the humanity!!!!"
          > I managed to get some quality time in the Man Cave today. So far, I
          > have the Osborne 1A and Executive in working order. The Vixen has jittery
          > video, then locks up with a burst of random characters after a while.
          > Could be bad caps in the power supply. The Osborne 1 is next to be
          > tested.

          That's nice but you already registered so no worries. :)