Re: [midatlanticretro] Apple ][

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 3 12:46 PM

      Maybe under pressure, there's no amount of peer pressure if I didn't have 2 of them ;)

      ~{sent *[from ±my] ^Android}

    • Mike Willegal
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 3 2:34 PM
        Apple changed the firmware on the Disk ][ controller card when they
        went from DOS 3.1 to DOS3.2. the early firmware will only boot 13
        sector DOS 3.1disks, It's not likely that this disk controller has
        the early firmware, but just something to be aware of.

        Regards,
        Mike Willegal
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 3 4:21 PM
          DOS 3.2

          At 01:21 PM 4/3/2011, you wrote:
          >Helped the guy that donated the TI mini (Wayne Verderber) get his Apple
          >][ running yesterday.
          >
          >Not Plus, not E, not C, just a plain old Apple ][. This machine was in
          >terrific shape. Everything clean and clear.
          >
          >Had 1 disk drive and an old monitor from the video/TV field.
          >
          >This one didn't even know about booting from disk. It would always start
          >in the monitor. You had to type 6^P<ENTER> to have it try to boot.
          >
          >I'm going to make a couple of boot disks for him using my Apple ][c and
          >ADT. Any suggestions as to what DOS disks would best work for Wayne.
          >
          >He'll be coming to VCF Sunday as my guest (I'll pay his way in) to look
          >around.
          >
          >Kelly

        • Kelly D. Leavitt
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 4 6:08 AM
            My google skills are weak this morning. Where do I find a disk image of just plain old DOS 3.2? I've been able to find lots of other disk images, but not just a plain old DOS disk.

            Thanks for any help.

            >Helped the guy that donated the TI mini (Wayne Verderber) get his Apple
            >][ running yesterday.
            >
            >Not Plus, not E, not C, just a plain old Apple ][. This machine was in
            >terrific shape. Everything clean and clear.
            >
            >Had 1 disk drive and an old monitor from the video/TV field.
            >
            >This one didn't even know about booting from disk. It would always start
            >in the monitor. You had to type 6^P<ENTER> to have it try to boot.
            >
            >I'm going to make a couple of boot disks for him using my Apple ][c and
            >ADT. Any suggestions as to what DOS disks would best work for Wayne.
            >
            >He'll be coming to VCF Sunday as my guest (I'll pay his way in) to look
            >around.
            >
            >Kelly

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 4 6:18 AM
              On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

              > My google skills are weak this morning. Where do I find a disk image of just plain old DOS 3.2? I've been able to find lots of other disk images, but not just a plain old DOS disk.

              http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/masters/

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 4 6:20 AM
                On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
                My google skills are weak this morning. Where do I find a disk image of just plain old DOS 3.2? I've been able to find lots of other disk images, but not just a plain old DOS disk.

                I'm not sure yet either
                But I can check my boxes of Apple II stuff when I get home today
                As I have to work on this too, I'm going backwards versus my IIeplatinum
                But I can't remember at the moment, don't you need the Autostart Rom for DOS ?
                Which is available with the Applesoft Roms
                Mine one has Integer Basic Rom and the other has Applesoft Roms
                It didn't sound like you have this in the first post.

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 4 6:20 AM
                  does it have to be 3.2? I have a 3.3 image on my web site:

                  http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread_record.cfm?id=60&tid=2

                  Bill Degnan

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 4 6:21 AM
                    never mind...I see you meant Apple 3.2.!
                    Bill Degnan

                    > On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
                    >
                    > > My google skills are weak this morning. Where do I find a disk image of
                    just plain old DOS 3.2? I've been able to find lots of other disk images,
                    but not just a plain old DOS disk.

                    > http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/masters/
                    >

                    > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 4 6:21 AM
                      On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                      On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                      > My google skills are weak this morning. Where do I find a disk image of just plain old DOS 3.2? I've been able to find lots of other disk images, but not just a plain old DOS disk.

                      http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/masters/

                      thanks Mike !

                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 4 6:35 AM
                        On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                        On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
                        My google skills are weak this morning. Where do I find a disk image of just plain old DOS 3.2? I've been able to find lots of other disk images, but not just a plain old DOS disk.

                        I'm not sure yet either
                        But I can check my boxes of Apple II stuff when I get home today
                        As I have to work on this too, I'm going backwards versus my IIeplatinum
                        But I can't remember at the moment, don't you need the Autostart Rom for DOS ?
                        Which is available with the Applesoft Roms
                        Mine one has Integer Basic Rom and the other has Applesoft Roms
                        It didn't sound like you have this in the first post.

                        Did some more digging online to refresh my fading memory
                        You definitely have Integer Basic Roms in there like my 1st one. That's why you have to enter that command, to boot from the DISK II card in the 6th slot.

                        My other one has Applesoft Roms where it automatically scans the slot to boot from the Disk II card.

                        But it seems version 3.2 likes to have Applesoft Roms, while version 3.1 seems to run ok with Integer Basic Roms - I'm just not sure if I found enough info yet. Version 3.3 definitely sounds like you need Applesoft Roms.

                        Maybe Mike W. can elaborate more on this.

                      • Mike Willegal
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 4 12:24 PM
                          The init program will have to be either in integer basic or applesoft
                          depending upon what ROMs you have. This is the program that DOS runs
                          immediately after booting. DOS can boot with either BASIC ROM set,
                          if the init program matches the ROMs. As noted earlier in the thread,
                          to boot from non-autostart ROMs type 6control-P from monitor or PR#6
                          from BASIC, assuming the controller is in slot 6.

                          If you have a firmware card in slot zero, with the other version of
                          BASIC, then DOS will automatically switch to the correct version. DOS
                          switches between integer and applesoft automatically when it loads a
                          basic program.

                          If you have a language card in slot 0 and you have the right basic
                          image on DISK, DOS will automatically load the alternate version of
                          basic into the language card while booting. I'm not sure what
                          version of DOS started supporting this language card capability.

                          Regards,
                          Mike Willegal

                          PS My new Brain Board can be used as a firmware card, if integer
                          and/or applesoft BASIC images are burned into the EPROM on it.
                        • Mike
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 4 12:46 PM
                            One other thing, unless you boot from a master disk, DOS assumes it is running on the same size memory footprint as the system it was initialized on. For most Apple ]['s this is 48K, but I had 36K on my system back in the day. :-)

                            Regards,
                            Mike Willegal