Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM 360 and older computers - any still running?

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 3, 2011
      I am going to snoop around some of the old DuPont
      buildings in downtown Wilmington. They may have
      some old remnants there. I will ask "hi I'd like
      to take a look at the old computer down in the
      basement, can you take me to it?"
      bd

      At 11:17 AM 4/3/2011, you wrote:
      >What about our government or foreign governments?
      >I remember that the SAGE vacuum tube computer only went off line when
      >it was discovered that they had to buy the replacement tubes from
      >Yugoslavia a then communist state.
      >When was CP-301 first fielded? I've tried to google info on it and
      >failed. I know that CP-301 was still used in year 2000 because I
      >remember,with great amusement, watching such being loaded into the
      >Adam's Mark Hotel in Philadelphia for military contractor training
      >My readings seem to hint but not with the obviousness that I would
      >feel confident about that the machines were a 1965 vintage.
      >We were involved in the early eighties in an effort to create a
      >replacement in a 6500 or 65000 environment. We had reasons for
      >going with Motorola but I don't remember what they were.
      >after a PSFS convention that I was working.
      >Also, just out of curiosity, what was the civilian computer that
      >CP-301 was the militarized version of?
      >My efforts with google on this subject have been a complete pain in
      >the ass.

    • Justin Jernigan
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 3, 2011
        Remember to say please and thank you.

        Sent from my iPhone

        At 11:17 AM 4/3/2011, you wrote:
        >What about our government or foreign governments?
        >I remember that the SAGE vacuum tube computer only went off line when
        >it was discovered that they had to buy the replacement tubes from
        >Yugoslavia a then communist state.
        >When was CP-301 first fielded? I've tried to google info on it and
        >failed. I know that CP-301 was still used in year 2000 because I
        >remember,with great amusement, watching such being loaded into the
        >Adam's Mark Hotel in Philadelphia for military contractor training
        >My readings seem to hint but not with the obviousness that I would
        >feel confident about that the machines were a 1965 vintage.
        >We were involved in the early eighties in an effort to create a
        >replacement in a 6500 or 65000 environment. We had reasons for
        >going with Motorola but I don't remember what they were.
        >after a PSFS convention that I was working.
        >Also, just out of curiosity, what was the civilian computer that
        >CP-301 was the militarized version of?
        >My efforts with google on this subject have been a complete pain in
        >the ass.

      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 3, 2011
          Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:53 PM
          Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM 360 and older computers - any still running?

          On Apr 3, 2011, at 12:05 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          I am going to snoop around some of the old DuPont
          buildings in downtown Wilmington. They may have
          some old remnants there. I will ask "hi I'd like
          to take a look at the old computer down in the
          basement, can you take me to it?"
          bd

              Perhaps a good place to start would be with universities, government institutions or businesses where one has studied or worked in the past. I will, for example, contact my Alma Mater and see what they are running these days.

          Jeff3 Brace

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 3, 2011

            I am going to snoop around some of the old DuPont
            buildings in downtown Wilmington. They may have
            some old remnants there. I will ask "hi I'd like
            to take a look at the old computer down in the
            basement, can you take me to it?"
            bd

                Perhaps a good place to start would be with universities, government institutions or businesses where one has studied or worked in the past. I will, for example, contact my Alma Mater and see what they are running these days.

            Jeff3 Brace

            When I worked in downtown wilmington there were mainframes in the basement of certain DuPont buildings.  These are huge fortesses, there is also an AT&T building, etc.  Lots of places were mainframes could be hiding.

            I work downtown, it's not a big deal to ask questions during my work day.

            bd