Trenton

    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 1, 2011
      Trenton (indoor area) opens to the public at 9am tomorrow. I'll be
      there at 8ish. I am bringing tablecloths, our Altair, Pong, and MARCH
      literature. Andy's bringing his Apple //e. Bill is (I think) bringing
      an early laptop, such as the Epson HX-20 or TRS-80 Model 100.

      MARCH's booth will be in the Social Sciences Building just like last
      year. Vendors will be in the Packard Hall South Gymnasium. I'm unhappy
      about this. The Social Sciences Building is where lectures are held,
      which means we only had booth traffic when people were passing by en
      route to the their lectures. We were told that this year's TCF would
      put club tables back in the same place as where the vendors are, but
      that didn't happen. Grumble ....

      Also, when I get my badge, they're giving me a guest badge too because
      I'm a speaker. I think by now I promised that guest badge to several
      different people (sorry). Whoever wants it can fight to the death or
      bribe me. :)

      Speaker-wise, Frank O. is lecturing about central NJ tech museums (read:
      InfoAge) both days; InfoAge's Bob Buss is talking Saturday about radio
      history, and I'm doing my usual talk Sunday (intro to vintage computer
      collecting).

      I think for * next year * I will petition Trenton management to let me
      be the keynote speaker. That would be good publicity for MARCH /
      InfoAge / VCF / and our hobby overall.
    • s100doctor
      Message 50 of 50 , Mar 16 3:42 PM
        The TCF Flea Market was small but in a single large room; better than searching half a building as in the last few years. There was little "vintage" there but a few people had pre-1985 computing items for sale, and not expensive. I bought one. Parts vendors were there, I bought useful parts for vintage or replica work. There were a few small microkit vendors also. I'd compare it to a "local hamfest" event overall. Also, the Sarnoff Collection was nearby, and they showed some of their collection of RCA's computing history, including early 1802 devices.

        But TCF always brings out the "old school" of 70's and 80's microcomputer participants. They are worth meeting and some gave talks. There's how-to-make events for current "makers", the 3D printer and Arduino/RaspPi crowd. You can obtain a ham radio license in one day. And TCF always spoke to popular use of computing technology; that's simply become ordinary rather than extraordinary. The event was satisfactory and has value; the value has changed.

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com