Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH & 501c3

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
      ARGH!!! Fooled me! But then, I'm gullible.

      73 de Ray

      On Apr 1, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Timothy J Fagan wrote:

      > Does anyone bother looking at the date when they read emails such
      > as these? :-)
      >
      > --Timster--
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Apr 1, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
      >

      >> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Justin Jernigan
      >> <jaj@...> wrote:
      >> I have been working behind the scenes with an attorney to help
      >> MARCH achieve 501(c)3 status, and it appears the IRS has approved
      >> our designation effective 1/1/2012. I met with IRS representatives
      >> in Trenton, NJ, yesterday afternoon to confirm our final
      >> application and to pay our filing fee. One item that had to be
      >> corrected was based on condition of IRS ruling 501c3 which
      >> stipulates that the status must be awarded within 27 months of
      >> incorporation. Our incorporation status exceeded that timeframe,
      >> therefore I had to file for a new shell corporation under the name
      >> Mid-Atlantic Retro Computer Hoarders, Inc. The timeframe to file
      >> for the shell corporation was short and I wanted to stay with the
      >> MARCH acronymn, and besides the description is somewhat accurate,
      >> right?
      >>

      >> hmmm, maybe Hobbyister ;)
      >> just thinking out loud here,
      >> Would the shell corp present a problem when the donations start
      >> coming in and the person's tax deduction paperwork shows this new
      >> name instead ?
      >> Maybe it might make someone leary about donating in the future -
      >> who knows.
      >> Is it possible to transfer it back to the original name ?
      >> Hopefully it doesn't create more tax paperwork headaches in the
      >> future.
      >>
      >> =Dan

    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011

        While MARCH is *really* pursing 501.(c)3 status,
        That leagalize was alittle convincing,after all real things do happen on this day.
        Justin you went really far pulling off this one :)
        You really pulled my leg

        ~{sent *[from ±my] ^Android}

        On Apr 1, 2011 9:22 AM, "Timothy J Fagan" <timstergm@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone bother looking at the date when they read emails such as these? :-)
        >
        > --Timster--
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Apr 1, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
        >

        >> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Justin Jernigan <jaj@...> wrote:
        >>>
        >>> I have been working behind the scenes with an attorney to help MARCH achieve 501(c)3 status, and it appears the IRS has approved our designation effective 1/1/2012. I met with IRS representatives in Trenton, NJ, yesterday afternoon to confirm our final application and to pay our filing fee. One item that had to be corrected was based on condition of IRS ruling 501c3 which stipulates that the status must be awarded within 27 months of incorporation. Our incorporation status exceeded that timeframe, therefore I had to file for a new shell corporation under the name Mid-Atlantic Retro Computer Hoarders, Inc. The timeframe to file for the shell corporation was short and I wanted to stay with the MARCH acronymn, and besides the description is somewhat accurate, right?
        >>>

        >> hmmm, maybe Hobbyister ;)
        >> just thinking out loud here,
        >> Would the shell corp present a problem when the donations start coming in and the person's tax deduction paperwork shows this new name instead ?
        >> Maybe it might make someone leary about donating in the future - who knows.
        >> Is it possible to transfer it back to the original name ?
        >> Hopefully it doesn't create more tax paperwork headaches in the future.
        >>
        >> =Dan

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
          On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Dan Roganti wrote:

          > That leagalize was alittle convincing,after all real things do happen on
          > this day.

          That's right. For instance, my VCF exhibit is just about ready:

          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/VisitToWoodys/dscn6819.jpg

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
            That's what I am talking about!

            Bill Degnan

            > > That leagalize was alittle convincing,after all real things do happen
            on
            > > this day.
            >
            > That's right. For instance, my VCF exhibit is just about ready:
            >
            > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/VisitToWoodys/dscn6819.jpg
            >

            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011

              On Apr 1, 2011 10:02 AM, "Mike Loewen" <mloewen@...> wrote:

              > On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Dan Roganti wrote:
              >
              > > That leagalize was alittle convincing,after all real things do happen on
              > > this day.
              >
              >    That's right.  For instance, my VCF exhibit is just about ready:
              >
              > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/VisitToWoodys/dscn6819.jpg

              ~haa
              Is there any hardware left inside that when they turned into a prop or is it only full of lamps.

            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
                On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Dan Roganti wrote:

                > On Apr 1, 2011 10:02 AM, "Mike Loewen" <mloewen@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/VisitToWoodys/dscn6819.jpg
                >
                > ~haa
                > Is there any hardware left inside that when they turned into a prop or is it
                > only full of lamps.

                Actually, there was originally very little hardware inside besides the
                neons, incandescents and switches. They did strip out MILES of wiring,
                according to Woody. The neons were replaced by incandescents.

                This is what the innards look like:

                http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/VisitToWoodys/dscn6820.jpg
                http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Q7/scifi/Woody/DSC03672.JPG
                http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Q7/scifi/Woody/DSC03701.JPG

                Remember, these were only the operating and maintenance consoles. The
                logic was in frames like these:

                http://www.mitre.org/about/photo_archives/photos/hi_res/sage_bb14.tif
                http://www.mitre.org/about/photo_archives/photos/hi_res/sage_bb13.tif
                http://www.mitre.org/about/photo_archives/photos/hi_res/sage_bb15.tif

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
                  >>> That's right. For instance, my VCF exhibit is just about ready: http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/VisitToWoodys/dscn6819.jpg

                  LOL! Very nice .... One six-foot booth, right?
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
                    On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > LOL! Very nice .... One six-foot booth, right?

                    Oops, I dropped a zero: one sixty-foot booth.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • mejeep_ferret
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 4, 2011
                      > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/VisitToWoodys/dscn6819.jpg

                      That's the stuff of my childhood: das blinkenlights
                      - in real life: the computer center "fish bowl" at colleges
                      and companies to show off their million dollar marvel
                      - seeing all those techs at Mission Control
                      during the Gemini, Apollo missions
                      - and on TV: all those Irwin Allen kiddie shows
                      mit spritzensparken! Even Star Trek gave into that!

                      The Boston computer museum has large chunks of it on display,
                      and a console was in the IBM Kingston facility lobby in the 90s.
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 4, 2011
                        On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, mejeep_ferret wrote:

                        >> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/VisitToWoodys/dscn6819.jpg

                        > The Boston computer museum has large chunks of it on display,
                        > and a console was in the IBM Kingston facility lobby in the 90s.

                        The Boston Computer Museum closed in 1999, and the SAGE sections were
                        sent to Computer History Museum in Mountainview. I visited the Boston
                        museum in 1987, and saw the equipment there.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...