Re: [midatlanticretro] 1980 video by AT&T/Bell Labs about microprocessors

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
      Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

      >On Mar 31, 2011 7:25 AM, <system@...> wrote: > > Dan
      >Roganti <ragooman@...> writes: > >> Dan Roganti
      ><ragooman@...> writes: > > >There's a funny line in > >there
      >"These two buttons [star and pound] reserved for compu= ter
      >communications and other far-out uses...." > > Not at all. Just putting
      >the "astounding 7,000" transistors comment into > perspective. WRT
      >Moore's Law, I believe we've achieved more acceleration > than Moore
      >anticipated. >
      >
      >Yes, I think that one has been broken several times over. What would be
      >nice to see is a timeline charting the devices and transistor count.

      http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Transistor_Count_and_Moore%27s_Law_-_2008.svg

      These are mostly Intel data points save for Power and an odd one or two
      others. I suspect that DEC's Alpha in 1992 would have represented quite
      a large perturbation to this otherwise linear progression. No sense in
      clouding statistics with facts, however. ;)
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
        On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:32 AM, <system@...> wrote:

        http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Transistor_Count_and_Moore%27s_Law_-_2008.svg

        These are mostly Intel data points save for Power and an odd one or two
        others.  I suspect that DEC's Alpha in 1992 would have represented quite
        a large perturbation to this otherwise linear progression.  No sense in
        clouding statistics with facts, however. ;)

        yes, I remember something like too, didn't know it was updated recently
        After adding all the other companies on there, together with some Die photos,
        That would make for a nice wall chart at the museum.

      • ysgdhio
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
          More good stuff...
          http://techchannel.att.com/index.cfm?SearchTag=AT%26T+Archives

          I suggest starting with "The Thinking Machines".

          Andy
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
            On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:29 PM, ysgdhio <ysgdhio@...> wrote:
            More good stuff...
            http://techchannel.att.com/index.cfm?SearchTag=AT%26T+Archives

            I suggest starting with "The Thinking Machines".

            I couldn't make it past the first 5min, too many cartoons. I can't believe they said it was made for high school students - yea right, not even in 1968.

            I like this one instead from 1971, "I.C. A Shrinking World"
            http://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2011/2/18/AT&T-Archives-IC-A-Shrinking-World