Re: [midatlanticretro] 1980 video by AT&T/Bell Labs about microprocessors

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011

      On Mar 31, 2011 7:25 AM, <system@...> wrote:

      > Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:
      > >> Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes: > > >There's a funny line in
      > >there "These two buttons [star and pound] reserved for compu= ter communications and other far-out uses...."
      >
      > Not at all.  Just putting the "astounding 7,000" transistors comment into
      > perspective.  WRT Moore's Law, I believe we've achieved more acceleration
      > than Moore anticipated.

      Yes, I think that one has been broken several times over.
      What would be nice to see is a timeline charting the devices and transistor count.

    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
        Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

        >On Mar 31, 2011 7:25 AM, <system@...> wrote: > > Dan
        >Roganti <ragooman@...> writes: > >> Dan Roganti
        ><ragooman@...> writes: > > >There's a funny line in > >there
        >"These two buttons [star and pound] reserved for compu= ter
        >communications and other far-out uses...." > > Not at all. Just putting
        >the "astounding 7,000" transistors comment into > perspective. WRT
        >Moore's Law, I believe we've achieved more acceleration > than Moore
        >anticipated. >
        >
        >Yes, I think that one has been broken several times over. What would be
        >nice to see is a timeline charting the devices and transistor count.

        http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Transistor_Count_and_Moore%27s_Law_-_2008.svg

        These are mostly Intel data points save for Power and an odd one or two
        others. I suspect that DEC's Alpha in 1992 would have represented quite
        a large perturbation to this otherwise linear progression. No sense in
        clouding statistics with facts, however. ;)
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
          On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:32 AM, <system@...> wrote:

          http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Transistor_Count_and_Moore%27s_Law_-_2008.svg

          These are mostly Intel data points save for Power and an odd one or two
          others.  I suspect that DEC's Alpha in 1992 would have represented quite
          a large perturbation to this otherwise linear progression.  No sense in
          clouding statistics with facts, however. ;)

          yes, I remember something like too, didn't know it was updated recently
          After adding all the other companies on there, together with some Die photos,
          That would make for a nice wall chart at the museum.

        • ysgdhio
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
            More good stuff...
            http://techchannel.att.com/index.cfm?SearchTag=AT%26T+Archives

            I suggest starting with "The Thinking Machines".

            Andy
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
              On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:29 PM, ysgdhio <ysgdhio@...> wrote:
              More good stuff...
              http://techchannel.att.com/index.cfm?SearchTag=AT%26T+Archives

              I suggest starting with "The Thinking Machines".

              I couldn't make it past the first 5min, too many cartoons. I can't believe they said it was made for high school students - yea right, not even in 1968.

              I like this one instead from 1971, "I.C. A Shrinking World"
              http://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2011/2/18/AT&T-Archives-IC-A-Shrinking-World