Re: [midatlanticretro] I was wrong. Dan was right.

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2011
      > All: I was on the phone with Dan tonight and the subject of the PCC newsletters came up. I mentioned how historic they are as the first ones of their kind, circa 1971 ..... and Dan jumped all over me; "What about the New York Amateur Computer Society!? That started in 1968!"

      Reply from Sol Libes:

      published a quarterly newsletter. No meetings were ever held. He had
      about 200 subscribers, few of which lived in NYC. He ceased publishing
      the newsletter in early 1975. Each issue was 8-16 pages run off on a
      mimeograph machine. I was a subscriber. Regretfully I did not keep any
      copies of the newsletter.

      As far as I know Steven never did build a system. He just liked to
      collect information about what others were doing and write about them.
      I lost touch with him when he stopped publishing his newsletter. I
      spoke with him only once and found him unfriendly, arrogant and
      difficult to deal with.

      I devoted a few pages about the ACS newsletter in the book I wrote and
      self-published in 1992, titled "The Origin of the Micro Species."

      There were other newsletters and books on building a computer published
      during the 1960's. Regretfully I did not keep any of them.
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2011
        On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:06 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        > All: I was on the phone with Dan tonight and the subject of the PCC newsletters came up.  I mentioned how historic they are as the first ones of their kind, circa 1971 ..... and Dan jumped all over me; "What about the New York Amateur Computer Society!?  That started in 1968!"

        not sure if you googled anything more about this;
        but here'
        here's another little reference
        it's on Google books,section 2.7
        http://tinyurl.com/4reatjl

        InfoWorld, Dec.8, 1980 issue, with a photo
        written by Sol Libes
        it also mentions about Carl Helmers/BYTE
        though give false credit to Wayne again
        also on Google books
        http://tinyurl.com/6zzyeu5

        Also,  in BYTE mag, July 1978
        The First Ten years of Amateur Computing
        written by Sol Libes himself

        Building your own computer
        Author:     Stephen B. Gray     Amateur Computer Society
        AFIPS '76 Proceedings of the June 7-10, 1976,
        national computer conference and exposition
        ACM New York, NY, USA ©1976
        http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1499837

      • jack99rubin
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2011

          > ACS' founder was Stephen B. Gray. Where is he?????

          Last time I spoke with him, he lived in upper Manhattan, at the same address he had been at since he started the publication. His phone was listed in the NYC white pages at the time.

          I've got a close-to-complete run of the newsletters. If Stephen was "only' a catalyst, there were certainly other members with various devices in different stages of development/operation, usually with salvaged core memory, etc. Don Tarbell was a member of note.

          I'll try to take a look tonight to see what I have.

          BTW, the AGC had a pretty broad national membership, not just NY area people.

          Jack
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2011
            > Last time I spoke with him, he lived in upper Manhattan, at the same address he had been at since he started the publication. His phone was listed in the NYC white pages at the time.

            I got an email from David Ahl with the same response, including the
            number. Called it just now. It rang and rang; no voicemail. David
            also gave me an email address to try. I'll try that if I can't get
            through on the phone within a few days.

            > I've got a close-to-complete run of the newsletters.

            < Evan is speechless ... and that's hard to do! >

            > I'll try to take a look tonight to see what I have.

            Cool. You're our best friend ..... today. :)

            > BTW, the AGC had a pretty broad national membership, not just NY area people.

            Sol said the same thing. He also said there were other, similar
            newsletters at that time. I will ask him to elaborate.