I was wrong. Dan was right.

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2011
      Dan are you happy now? :)

      All: I was on the phone with Dan tonight and the subject of the PCC
      newsletters came up. I mentioned how historic they are as the first
      ones of their kind, circa 1971 ..... and Dan jumped all over me; "What
      about the New York Amateur Computer Society!? That started in 1968!"

      The what now?

      Somehow, in all my years of doing computer history, and hobnobbing at
      every opportunity with the local guys who were there, I * never heard *
      of the NYACS -- or maybe I heard of it but had no clue that it was older
      than ACGNJ. The subject just never arose. Nor did I ever see NYACS in
      any article, book, museum, or research paper.

      How the (BLEEP) did that happen!?

      The new (to me!) knowledge of NYACS fills a huge gap in my awareness of
      local computer history. In fact, when Degnan and I co-lectured on this
      topic at HOPE last year, we directly told the audience that we needed to
      know more about NYC itself other than Stan V.'s Computer Mart (and by
      the way, Stan never mentioned this club to me either!) .... what the
      heck .....

      Alas: NYACS ran from 1965 to 1975, according to Sol Libes:
      http://www.acgnj.org/hist.html. ACS' archives are in the Charles
      Babbage Institute (at the U. of Minnesota). I'm friendly with the
      archivist there. So after VCF, when MARCH has money, I intend to
      purchase copies of the complete ACS archives. While PCC is historic on
      a national scale, ACS is MORE historic on a local scale.

      ACS' founder was Stephen B. Gray. Where is he?????
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2011
        On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
        Dan are you happy now?   :)

        All: I was on the phone with Dan tonight and the subject of the PCC
        newsletters came up.  I mentioned how historic they are as the first
        ones of their kind, circa 1971 ..... and Dan jumped all over me; "What
        about the New York Amateur Computer Society!?  That started in 1968!"

        It's just Amateur Computer Society, ACS, no NY in the title, even though it's from New York City.
        The new organization is NYACC, New York Amateur Computer CLub

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2011
          > All: I was on the phone with Dan tonight and the subject of the PCC newsletters came up. I mentioned how historic they are as the first ones of their kind, circa 1971 ..... and Dan jumped all over me; "What about the New York Amateur Computer Society!? That started in 1968!"

          Reply from Sol Libes:

          published a quarterly newsletter. No meetings were ever held. He had
          about 200 subscribers, few of which lived in NYC. He ceased publishing
          the newsletter in early 1975. Each issue was 8-16 pages run off on a
          mimeograph machine. I was a subscriber. Regretfully I did not keep any
          copies of the newsletter.

          As far as I know Steven never did build a system. He just liked to
          collect information about what others were doing and write about them.
          I lost touch with him when he stopped publishing his newsletter. I
          spoke with him only once and found him unfriendly, arrogant and
          difficult to deal with.

          I devoted a few pages about the ACS newsletter in the book I wrote and
          self-published in 1992, titled "The Origin of the Micro Species."

          There were other newsletters and books on building a computer published
          during the 1960's. Regretfully I did not keep any of them.
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2011
            On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:06 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

            > All: I was on the phone with Dan tonight and the subject of the PCC newsletters came up.  I mentioned how historic they are as the first ones of their kind, circa 1971 ..... and Dan jumped all over me; "What about the New York Amateur Computer Society!?  That started in 1968!"

            not sure if you googled anything more about this;
            but here'
            here's another little reference
            it's on Google books,section 2.7
            http://tinyurl.com/4reatjl

            InfoWorld, Dec.8, 1980 issue, with a photo
            written by Sol Libes
            it also mentions about Carl Helmers/BYTE
            though give false credit to Wayne again
            also on Google books
            http://tinyurl.com/6zzyeu5

            Also,  in BYTE mag, July 1978
            The First Ten years of Amateur Computing
            written by Sol Libes himself

            Building your own computer
            Author:     Stephen B. Gray     Amateur Computer Society
            AFIPS '76 Proceedings of the June 7-10, 1976,
            national computer conference and exposition
            ACM New York, NY, USA ©1976
            http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1499837

          • jack99rubin
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2011

              > ACS' founder was Stephen B. Gray. Where is he?????

              Last time I spoke with him, he lived in upper Manhattan, at the same address he had been at since he started the publication. His phone was listed in the NYC white pages at the time.

              I've got a close-to-complete run of the newsletters. If Stephen was "only' a catalyst, there were certainly other members with various devices in different stages of development/operation, usually with salvaged core memory, etc. Don Tarbell was a member of note.

              I'll try to take a look tonight to see what I have.

              BTW, the AGC had a pretty broad national membership, not just NY area people.

              Jack
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 31, 2011
                > Last time I spoke with him, he lived in upper Manhattan, at the same address he had been at since he started the publication. His phone was listed in the NYC white pages at the time.

                I got an email from David Ahl with the same response, including the
                number. Called it just now. It rang and rang; no voicemail. David
                also gave me an email address to try. I'll try that if I can't get
                through on the phone within a few days.

                > I've got a close-to-complete run of the newsletters.

                < Evan is speechless ... and that's hard to do! >

                > I'll try to take a look tonight to see what I have.

                Cool. You're our best friend ..... today. :)

                > BTW, the AGC had a pretty broad national membership, not just NY area people.

                Sol said the same thing. He also said there were other, similar
                newsletters at that time. I will ask him to elaborate.