1980 video by AT&T/Bell Labs about microprocessors

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2011
      I never seen this video before, it's not technical at all, just interesting to see
      The youtube title says 1976, but the film title says 1980.
      The host is none another than William Shatner - who just turned 80 last week along with Leonard Nimoy

      There's a funny line in there
      "These two buttons [star and pound] in fact are reserved for computer communications and other far-out uses...."
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2kd1B0Ybto

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2011
        At 07:06 PM 3/30/2011, you wrote:

        I never seen this video before, it's not technical at all, just interesting to see
        The youtube title says 1976, but the film title says 1980.
        The host is none another than William Shatner - who just turned 80 last week along with Leonard Nimoy

        There's a funny line in there
        "These two buttons [star and pound] in fact are reserved for computer communications and other far-out uses...."
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2kd1B0Ybto

        Thanks Dan
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30, 2011
          Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

          >There's a funny line in there "These two buttons [star and pound]
          >in=EF=BB=BF fact are reserved for compu= ter communications and other
          >far-out uses...." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dq2kd1B0Ybto

          7,000 transistors? Feh!

          http://ewandoo.com/intel-plans-itanium-with-3-1-billion-transistors/
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 30, 2011
            On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM, <system@...> wrote:
            Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

            >There's a funny line in there "These two buttons [star and pound]
            >in=EF=BB=BF fact are reserved for compu= ter communications and other
            >far-out uses...." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dq2kd1B0Ybto

            7,000 transistors?  Feh!

            http://ewandoo.com/intel-plans-itanium-with-3-1-billion-transistors/

            it's only a historical docu, are you trying to compare 1980's technology with the present day ??

          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
              Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

              >--0015175d672211d27b049fc10f18 Content-Type: text/plain;
              >charset=ISO-8859-1
              >
              >On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM, <system@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes: > > >There's a funny line in
              >there "These two buttons [star and pound] > >in=EF=BB=BF fact are
              >reserved for compu= ter communications and other > >far-out uses...."
              >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dq2kd1B0Ybto > > 7,000 transistors?
              >Feh! > >
              >http://ewandoo.com/intel-plans-itanium-with-3-1-billion-transistors/ >
              >

              >it's only a historical docu, are you trying to compare 1980's technology
              >with the present day ??

              Not at all. Just putting the "astounding 7,000" transistors comment into
              perspective. WRT Moore's Law, I believe we've achieved more acceleration
              than Moore anticipated.
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011

                On Mar 31, 2011 7:25 AM, <system@...> wrote:

                > Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:
                > >> Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes: > > >There's a funny line in
                > >there "These two buttons [star and pound] reserved for compu= ter communications and other far-out uses...."
                >
                > Not at all.  Just putting the "astounding 7,000" transistors comment into
                > perspective.  WRT Moore's Law, I believe we've achieved more acceleration
                > than Moore anticipated.

                Yes, I think that one has been broken several times over.
                What would be nice to see is a timeline charting the devices and transistor count.

              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
                  Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                  >On Mar 31, 2011 7:25 AM, <system@...> wrote: > > Dan
                  >Roganti <ragooman@...> writes: > >> Dan Roganti
                  ><ragooman@...> writes: > > >There's a funny line in > >there
                  >"These two buttons [star and pound] reserved for compu= ter
                  >communications and other far-out uses...." > > Not at all. Just putting
                  >the "astounding 7,000" transistors comment into > perspective. WRT
                  >Moore's Law, I believe we've achieved more acceleration > than Moore
                  >anticipated. >
                  >
                  >Yes, I think that one has been broken several times over. What would be
                  >nice to see is a timeline charting the devices and transistor count.

                  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Transistor_Count_and_Moore%27s_Law_-_2008.svg

                  These are mostly Intel data points save for Power and an odd one or two
                  others. I suspect that DEC's Alpha in 1992 would have represented quite
                  a large perturbation to this otherwise linear progression. No sense in
                  clouding statistics with facts, however. ;)
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
                    On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:32 AM, <system@...> wrote:

                    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Transistor_Count_and_Moore%27s_Law_-_2008.svg

                    These are mostly Intel data points save for Power and an odd one or two
                    others.  I suspect that DEC's Alpha in 1992 would have represented quite
                    a large perturbation to this otherwise linear progression.  No sense in
                    clouding statistics with facts, however. ;)

                    yes, I remember something like too, didn't know it was updated recently
                    After adding all the other companies on there, together with some Die photos,
                    That would make for a nice wall chart at the museum.

                  • ysgdhio
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
                      More good stuff...
                      http://techchannel.att.com/index.cfm?SearchTag=AT%26T+Archives

                      I suggest starting with "The Thinking Machines".

                      Andy
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
                        On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:29 PM, ysgdhio <ysgdhio@...> wrote:
                        More good stuff...
                        http://techchannel.att.com/index.cfm?SearchTag=AT%26T+Archives

                        I suggest starting with "The Thinking Machines".

                        I couldn't make it past the first 5min, too many cartoons. I can't believe they said it was made for high school students - yea right, not even in 1968.

                        I like this one instead from 1971, "I.C. A Shrinking World"
                        http://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2011/2/18/AT&T-Archives-IC-A-Shrinking-World