Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: looking for a disk detect sensor

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011

      > > > Yes, but it works! I think it's just that it's a very bright "grow
      > > light"
      > > > bulb that I was using to get a better view of what was going on in
      there.
      > > > I did not expect that this light would trip the sensor. A regular
      > > > florescent does not work.
      > >
      > Yep, they're usually IR detectors. I've replaced the source in the
      > source-sensor pair with a regular IR LED, just by drilling a hole
      through
      > the back of the pair. Usually I've had to adjust the gain of the input
      amp.

      > You can also check to see if the source in the pair is working by aiming
      > CCD camera at it. Cheap webcams are the best, as they have no IR
      filters.

      > Jonathan

      Maybe a grow lignt sends both IR and UltraViolet? This is reasonable to
      believe. This would also explain why a plain flourescent light did not
      trigger the sensor. eh?

      anyway, I ordered the part from Amazon per Ian's link. It should take only
      45 minutes to install.

      bd
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011
        On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

        Maybe a grow lignt sends both IR and UltraViolet?  This is reasonable to
        believe.  This would also explain why a plain flourescent light did not
        trigger the sensor.  eh?

        anyway, I ordered the part from Amazon per Ian's link.  It should take only
        45 minutes to install.

        what's with the grow light ;)
        you have to stop mixing your paraphernalia with your peripherals ~haa