Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: looking for a disk detect sensor

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011

      On Mar 30, 2011 10:38 AM, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
      > Yes, but it works!  I think it's just that it's a very bright "grow light"
      > bulb that I was using to get a better view of what was going on in there.
      > I did not expect that this light would trip the sensor.  A regular
      > florescent does not work.

      I missed that part :)
      I have to quit using my smartphone to read email

    • systems_glitch
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011

        > Yes, but it works!  I think it's just that it's a very bright "grow light"
        > bulb that I was using to get a better view of what was going on in there.
        > I did not expect that this light would trip the sensor.  A regular
        > florescent does not work.

        Yep, they're usually IR detectors. I've replaced the source in the source-sensor pair with a regular IR LED, just by drilling a hole through the back of the pair. Usually I've had to adjust the gain of the input amp.

        You can also check to see if the source in the pair is working by aiming a CCD camera at it. Cheap webcams are the best, as they have no IR filters.

        Jonathan
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011

          > > > Yes, but it works! I think it's just that it's a very bright "grow
          > > light"
          > > > bulb that I was using to get a better view of what was going on in
          there.
          > > > I did not expect that this light would trip the sensor. A regular
          > > > florescent does not work.
          > >
          > Yep, they're usually IR detectors. I've replaced the source in the
          > source-sensor pair with a regular IR LED, just by drilling a hole
          through
          > the back of the pair. Usually I've had to adjust the gain of the input
          amp.

          > You can also check to see if the source in the pair is working by aiming
          > CCD camera at it. Cheap webcams are the best, as they have no IR
          filters.

          > Jonathan

          Maybe a grow lignt sends both IR and UltraViolet? This is reasonable to
          believe. This would also explain why a plain flourescent light did not
          trigger the sensor. eh?

          anyway, I ordered the part from Amazon per Ian's link. It should take only
          45 minutes to install.

          bd
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011
            On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

            Maybe a grow lignt sends both IR and UltraViolet?  This is reasonable to
            believe.  This would also explain why a plain flourescent light did not
            trigger the sensor.  eh?

            anyway, I ordered the part from Amazon per Ian's link.  It should take only
            45 minutes to install.

            what's with the grow light ;)
            you have to stop mixing your paraphernalia with your peripherals ~haa