Re: [midatlanticretro] Any PCjr's left out there?

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 11, 2006
      Brian,

      I've been looking for a SCSI sidecar as well (a multi-gigabyte disk in a jr
      should be really usefull!), but my real goal is to find the ISA adapter and
      software for the network that IBM sold for schools to use jrs in the
      classroom. The ISA adapter goes in an XT for the teacher. So far I have one
      of the network sidecar adapters for a jr. Have you seen or heard anything
      about this stuff?

      My PCjr collection includes most of the cartridge software released for the
      jr and a fair selection of other software that just happened to be small
      enough to run on a 128K jr.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 11, 2006
        Bill,

        Next time I'm down there in Jersey I need to come over to your house and poke
        around. If you see a jr sidecar with a row of DIP switches and a coax
        connector, please let me know!

        What would be a real find would be an ethernet adapter for the jr, but in all
        my research, I have not seen any reference to such a device from IBM or any
        third party (like 3Com).

        Jim

        --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > I have some side cars, and will check to see what I have. I doubt I have
        > the SCSI sidecar, but...
        > Bill D
        >

        > At 12:12 AM 1/11/2006 +0000, you wrote:
        > >Hey all, new to the group here! What a nice thing to find a group in
        > >my "general" vicinity! (VA)
        > >
        > >I am an avid PCjr collector, and have a lot of great third party items
        > >that are odd and yet unique to the PCjr. One thing I would love to
        > >find, is one of the TMC 850jr SCSI sidecars! Anyone out there have any
        > >experience with them or have one?
        > >
        > >Brian
        > >

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Brian Heise
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 11, 2006
          Jim

          Fantastically enough, I have an AST networking sidecar (PC NETIIjr) as well as the ISA card (PC NETII).  I have not used them, but the sidecar was a very, very lucky find.  I just happened to have picked up the cluster attachemtn sidecar from EPay and received it yesterday.  It was my first one, but I know others with them.  If I come across another cluster attachment...I would be more tha nhappy to send one your way for cost of shipping.

          Brian

          --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > I have some side cars, and will check to see what I have.  I doubt I have
          > the SCSI sidecar, but...
          > Bill D
          >

          > At 12:12 AM 1/11/2006 +0000, you wrote:
          > >Hey all, new to the group here! What a nice thing to find a group in
          > >my "general" vicinity! (VA)
          > >
          > >I am an avid PCjr collector, and have a lot of great third party items
          > >that are odd and yet unique to the PCjr.  One thing I would love to
          > >find, is one of the TMC 850jr SCSI sidecars! Anyone out there have any
          > >experience with them or have one?
          > >
          > >Brian
          > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Photos

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 11, 2006
            I have added all of my PC Jr. stuff to the march club online inventory.
            Bill D

            At 06:59 AM 1/11/2006 -0800, you wrote:
            >Bill,
            >
            >Next time I'm down there in Jersey I need to come over to your house and poke
            >around. If you see a jr sidecar with a row of DIP switches and a coax
            >connector, please let me know!
            >
            >What would be a real find would be an ethernet adapter for the jr, but in all
            >my research, I have not seen any reference to such a device from IBM or any
            >third party (like 3Com).
            >
            >Jim
            >
            >--- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I have some side cars, and will check to see what I have. I doubt I have
            > > the SCSI sidecar, but...
            > > Bill D
            > >

            > > At 12:12 AM 1/11/2006 +0000, you wrote:
            > > >Hey all, new to the group here! What a nice thing to find a group in
            > > >my "general" vicinity! (VA)
            > > >
            > > >I am an avid PCjr collector, and have a lot of great third party items
            > > >that are odd and yet unique to the PCjr. One thing I would love to
            > > >find, is one of the TMC 850jr SCSI sidecars! Anyone out there have any
            > > >experience with them or have one?
            > > >
            > > >Brian
            > > >

            > > >Yahoo! Groups Links
            > > >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Brian Heise
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 11, 2006
              Bill

              Saw you had a Speech adaptor in the listings.  That is a really neat piece of hardware, especially giving the time it came out, and how purposely crippled the jr was made to be.  There are a few programs out there that uitilize the functionality of the sidecar as well as some homebrew programs from people I know that work at IBM...Cool history

              Brian

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 11, 2006
                Brian,
                I used to have a PC Jr, but I gave it away x years ago.  I picked up these items from the local thrift shop to either give away or when I came upon a system.

                Let me know if you'd like to help test the inventory program by contacting me directly.
                Bill D

                "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
                I have added all of my PC Jr. stuff to the march club online inventory.
                Bill D

                At 06:59 AM 1/11/2006 -0800, you wrote:
                >Bill,
                >
                >Next time I'm down there in Jersey I need to come over to your house and poke
                >around. If you see a jr sidecar with a row of DIP switches and a coax
                >connector, please let me know!
                >
                >What would be a real find would be an ethernet adapter for the jr, but in all
                >my research, I have not seen any reference to such a device from IBM or any
                >third party (like 3Com).
                >
                >Jim
                >
                >--- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I have some side cars, and will check to see what I have.  I doubt I have
                > > the SCSI sidecar, but...
                > > Bill D
                > >

                > > At 12:12 AM 1/11/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                > > >Hey all, new to the group here! What a nice thing to find a group in
                > > >my "general" vicinity! (VA)
                > > >
                > > >I am an avid PCjr collector, and have a lot of great third party items
                > > >that are odd and yet unique to the PCjr.  One thing I would love to
                > > >find, is one of the TMC 850jr SCSI sidecars! Anyone out there have any
                > > >experience with them or have one?
                > > >
                > > >Brian
                > > >

                > > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                > > >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • Brian Heise
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                  In line with my previous posts of TMC850jr... I have a Racore Model 1521 HDD unit which is also causing me some heartache....I know I had this puppy working in late Dec 03 (I went to Iraq the following month and made two military moves since then)...but after unpacking and finding all the components...I only receive a "Racore Fixed Disk Error".....The unit is identical to the 2nd drive add-on kits made my Racore/Rapport/Legacy, but has its own PCB and ROM for booting the HDD...Pain in the rear......to put it lightly...  Anyone have a users maunal stashed away in a collection somewhere?

                  Brian

                  --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                  > I have some side cars, and will check to see what I have.  I doubt I have
                  > the SCSI sidecar, but...
                  > Bill D
                  >

                  > At 12:12 AM 1/11/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >Hey all, new to the group here! What a nice thing to find a group in
                  > >my "general" vicinity! (VA)
                  > >
                  > >I am an avid PCjr collector, and have a lot of great third party items
                  > >that are odd and yet unique to the PCjr.  One thing I would love to
                  > >find, is one of the TMC 850jr SCSI sidecars! Anyone out there have any
                  > >experience with them or have one?
                  > >
                  > >Brian
                  > >

                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Photos

                • Brian Heise
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                    Ok...a quick reply to my own question of pain....but
                    I checked EVERYTHING....over and over, but everything seemed to be hooked up the way I remembered. Then in an effort to calm my wife down over a pesky-loud power supply that would constantly "buzz" while plugged in, I finally changed it out. (This power supply was hooked into the main CPU, mind you, and worked to boot the jr up just minutes before)...
                    After changing the power supply out, it was magic...the HDD unit worked... It seems that there might not have been enough juice getting to the main power board, which allowed it to boot ok, but caused power issues...or lack-thereof to other hardware...
                    I'd never have thought it to be so simple of a fix...

                    Still....if someone has a users manual for Racore 1511/1521, a scan would be greatly appreciated...

                    Also...In lines with VCF (My questions never cease...do they?)...I had an email conversation with a gentlemen about a year ago who said they sold a legacy floppy controller for the pcjr at a VCF which let the jr run a 1.44mb floppy drive....anyone heard or seen this before???   Must be a VERY rare option if it existed...

                    Brian

                    --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                    > I have some side cars, and will check to see what I have.  I doubt I have
                    > the SCSI sidecar, but...
                    > Bill D
                    >

                    > At 12:12 AM 1/11/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                    > >Hey all, new to the group here! What a nice thing to find a group in
                    > >my "general" vicinity! (VA)
                    > >
                    > >I am an avid PCjr collector, and have a lot of great third party items
                    > >that are odd and yet unique to the PCjr.  One thing I would love to
                    > >find, is one of the TMC 850jr SCSI sidecars! Anyone out there have any
                    > >experience with them or have one?
                    > >
                    > >Brian
                    > >

                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Photos

                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                      >>> I had an email conversation with a gentlemen about a year ago who said they sold a legacy floppy controller for the pcjr at a VCF

                      Brian, if anyone would know, it would be VCF owner Sellam Ismail -- who sometimes is on our list here.  Contact him at sellam@... and tell him I sent you.

                       - Evan

                      --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                      > I have some side cars, and will check to see what I have.  I doubt I have
                      > the SCSI sidecar, but...
                      > Bill D
                      >

                      > At 12:12 AM 1/11/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                      > >Hey all, new to the group here! What a nice thing to find a group in
                      > >my "general" vicinity! (VA)
                      > >
                      > >I am an avid PCjr collector, and have a lot of great third party items
                      > >that are odd and yet unique to the PCjr.  One thing I would love to
                      > >find, is one of the TMC 850jr SCSI sidecars! Anyone out there have any
                      > >experience with them or have one?
                      > >
                      > >Brian
                      > >

                      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Photos

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                        Brian,

                        BTW, thanks for joining MARCH! Welcome aboard.

                        You may have found that PCjrs were made with two different power supplies. I
                        believe the early jr's had a 45W supply while later units had a 65W supply. I
                        may not have the exact values correct, but you get the idea. The jr's power
                        supply is split between the power brick and the regulator card that sits
                        vertically inside the chassis. The larger power supply used a bigger power
                        brick to supply more juice to the more robust regulator circuity on the card.
                        These two parts should be matched.

                        Even the larger power supply could be overtaxed by adding extra side cars so
                        IBM sold a power expansion side car that also had a power brick. Does the
                        Racore HD expansion have a power supply with its own power brick? An early jr
                        barely had enough power for the floppy drive so adding a hard drive would
                        certainly demand additional power.

                        Jim

                        --- Brian Heise <nampcjr@...> wrote:

                        > Ok...a quick reply to my own question of pain....but
                        > I checked EVERYTHING....over and over, but everything seemed to be hooked
                        > up the way I remembered. Then in an effort to calm my wife down over a
                        > pesky-loud power supply that would constantly "buzz" while plugged in, I
                        > finally changed it out. (This power supply was hooked into the main CPU,
                        > mind you, and worked to boot the jr up just minutes before)...
                        > After changing the power supply out, it was magic...the HDD unit worked...
                        > It seems that there might not have been enough juice getting to the main
                        > power board, which allowed it to boot ok, but caused power issues...or
                        > lack-thereof to other hardware...
                        > I'd never have thought it to be so simple of a fix...
                        >
                        > Still....if someone has a users manual for Racore 1511/1521, a scan would
                        > be greatly appreciated...
                        >
                        > Also...In lines with VCF (My questions never cease...do they?)...I had an
                        > email conversation with a gentlemen about a year ago who said they sold a
                        > legacy floppy controller for the pcjr at a VCF which let the jr run a
                        > 1.44mb floppy drive....anyone heard or seen this before??? Must be a VERY
                        > rare option if it existed...
                        >

                        > Brian
                      • Brian Heise
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 23, 2006
                          Jim

                          Strange enough, the Racore has its own power source as well.  Its a different one of sorts, as the power input connector to the chassis is a DB9 connector instead of the standard IBM Power supply connector.  So to accomplish this power hookup, I have a power sidecar with a power cable and 4 pin male connector wired, which then leads to a homebrew 4pin female to DB9 cable.  Works good.

                          Now that I was successful in getting my HDD setup to work again, I wanted to to do a three tier system of purely Racore chassis drive systems.  I put the HDD controller board on the second tier with the 3.5" drive in the drive slot and the HDD in the third tier and the HDD cables coming up from the controller board and hooked in....and the verdit is????    NOGO....

                          There seems to be something with the custom floppy controller card and the 10 pin signal cable that the HDD system doesnt like.  I dont have a list of the jumper settings for the controller board (why a users manual would be premiere...), so I think the only thing I really could do is to pull out one of my modded floppy controllers for a two-drive system out of the shed and make a new floppy cable to be able to reach to a third tier.. (whew!  Alot of work for a simple drive addition!!)  But always a fun learning experience...

                          Brian

                          --- Brian Heise <nampcjr@...> wrote:

                          > Ok...a quick reply to my own question of pain....but
                          >   I checked EVERYTHING....over and over, but everything seemed to be hooked
                          > up the way I remembered. Then in an effort to calm my wife down over a
                          > pesky-loud power supply that would constantly "buzz" while plugged in, I
                          > finally changed it out. (This power supply was hooked into the main CPU,
                          > mind you, and worked to boot the jr up just minutes before)...
                          > After changing the power supply out, it was magic...the HDD unit worked...
                          > It seems that there might not have been enough juice getting to the main
                          > power board, which allowed it to boot ok, but caused power issues...or
                          > lack-thereof to other hardware...
                          > I'd never have thought it to be so simple of a fix...
                          >
                          >   Still....if someone has a users manual for Racore 1511/1521, a scan would
                          > be greatly appreciated...
                          >
                          >   Also...In lines with VCF (My questions never cease...do they?)...I had an
                          > email conversation with a gentlemen about a year ago who said they sold a
                          > legacy floppy controller for the pcjr at a VCF which let the jr run a
                          > 1.44mb floppy drive....anyone heard or seen this before???   Must be a VERY
                          > rare option if it existed...
                          >

                          >   Brian

                        • Degnan
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 23, 2006
                            Brian,
                            I have a spare standard power supply if you need one.
                            Bill D
                          • Brian Heise
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 23, 2006
                              Bill

                              I dont think that'll be necessary.  I have quite a lot of the power suppy cards.  I received a large amount of them from Louie Levy from Eugene OR.  He and his wife came out to IL where I was in school and he brought me a lot of what was left from the Eugene PCjr Club....  I think my biggest need is for manuals....they are out there somewhere, at the bottom of box deep in a basement or closet somewhere....just waiting for the moment to be brought out... :)  Thanks though!!

                              Brian

                              Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                              Brian,
                              I have a spare standard power supply if you need one.
                              Bill D

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              Yahoo! Photos