New-old idea for VCF

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2011
      Found this in a wrap-up message from previous VCF East:

      >>> Ian had a great idea for next year's VCF. Kermit runs on ANY
      computer, and therefore we could create a precarious vintage computer
      network. There will be a text file given to a randomly chosen exhibitor,
      who saves the file to any vintage computer in his exhibit, and
      collaborates with the adjacent exhibitor to "pass it on". If successful,
      the next exhibitor adds his own name to the file, and repeats the
      process with the next person. The goal is to pass the file all the way
      back to the first person via serial connections. Instead of a prize, we
      give a fake demerit to the first person who is unsuccessful at receiving
      / editing / transmitting the file! The prize could be something very
      funny, i.e. the LEAST desirable vintage computer we can find; "E.T." for
      Atari 2600; a boxed copy of Microsoft Bob; etc. <<<

      So how about it? Should we present this exhibitor challenge at VCF this
      year?

      Question: if/when a connection to the next exhibitor can't be made, how
      do we judge which exhibitor is to blame -- the giver or receiver? What
      if they disagree?

      We could announce the contest in front of a large crowd Saturday, and
      conduct it in front of a (presumably smaller) crowd Sunday. Maybe
      that'll make a few more attendees return on Sunday who otherwise
      wouldn't have ......
    • systems_glitch
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2011
        That sounds pretty awesome! I've got Kermit-80 running on my Apple IIe
        with (clone of Microsoft) Z80 card...that might be an interesting
        combination to start it from (it was interesting getting it working!).
        Since Kermit was more of a mini- and mainframe-oriented transfer
        program, perhaps we can start the file from some big iron.

        Would the contest be limited to Kermit, or could the file be
        transferred with XModem or PIPed from machine to machine?

        Jonathan

        On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 2:46 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
        > Found this in a wrap-up message from previous VCF East:
        >
        >  >>> Ian had a great idea for next year's VCF. Kermit runs on ANY
        > computer, and therefore we could create a precarious vintage computer
        > network. There will be a text file given to a randomly chosen exhibitor,
        > who saves the file to any vintage computer in his exhibit, and
        > collaborates with the adjacent exhibitor to "pass it on". If successful,
        > the next exhibitor adds his own name to the file, and repeats the
        > process with the next person. The goal is to pass the file all the way
        > back to the first person via serial connections. Instead of a prize, we
        > give a fake demerit to the first person who is unsuccessful at receiving
        > / editing / transmitting the file! The prize could be something very
        > funny, i.e. the LEAST desirable vintage computer we can find; "E.T." for
        > Atari 2600; a boxed copy of Microsoft Bob; etc. <<<
        >
        > So how about it?  Should we present this exhibitor challenge at VCF this
        > year?
        >
        > Question: if/when a connection to the next exhibitor can't be made, how
        > do we judge which exhibitor is to blame -- the giver or receiver?  What
        > if they disagree?
        >
        > We could announce the contest in front of a large crowd Saturday, and
        > conduct it in front of a (presumably smaller) crowd Sunday.  Maybe
        > that'll make a few more attendees return on Sunday who otherwise
        > wouldn't have ......

      • systems_glitch
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28, 2011
          >> Question: if/when a connection to the next exhibitor can't be made, how
          >> do we judge which exhibitor is to blame -- the giver or receiver?  What
          >> if they disagree?

          (Sorry for the second reply!) We could keep a small portable device
          with a known good serial configuration and Kermit for testing
          "trouble" connections -- attempt to receive the file from the sending
          end of the broken link, and attempt to send the file to the receiving
          end of the link. Whoever fails that test is at fault...though I don't
          know what you'd do if both ends were down!

          I've got a SmartCable we could use for that...allows one to easily
          match DTE and DCE with various combinations of switches. Also, much
          blinkenlichts. Anyone have a really neat vintage portable that might
          find use here?

          Jonathan