Re: [midatlanticretro] Kinda OT: Kingston MCA Data Card

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2006
      Joe,

      For your primary computer I would recommend something with an AMD 64-bit
      processor and nothing less. This is where the world is going. Use your
      vintage stuff for fun.

      > I just saw an IBM Model 80 go for $200 on ebay. Now, while I am into
      > vintage computing, I also an looking into upgrading my primary computer,
      > and do not have the cash. Now, the computer that sold did have a
      > Kingston 200MB data card and a 486 upgrade. I see both on eBay. Should I
      > bother with purchasing them? The data card is $50 and the overdrive chip
      > is $10. Additionally, since I have been working on the thing, I have
      > been finding this black, gooey, foam-rubbery kind of stuff all over the
      > inside of the thing, as well as now ground into my carpeting. What the
      > hell is this stuff?

    • David Collins
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2006
        Joe Giliberti wrote:

        >is $10. Additionally, since I have been working on the thing, I have
        >been finding this black, gooey, foam-rubbery kind of stuff all over the
        >inside of the thing, as well as now ground into my carpeting. What the
        >hell is this stuff?

        I've seen something like this with an old Apple Laserwriter.. basically,
        there was a gasket in there
        that disintegrated from old age.. fun stuff..

        -dave c