Kinda OT: Kingston MCA Data Card

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2006
      I just saw an IBM Model 80 go for $200 on ebay. Now, while I am into
      vintage computing, I also an looking into upgrading my primary computer,
      and do not have the cash. Now, the computer that sold did have a
      Kingston 200MB data card and a 486 upgrade. I see both on eBay. Should I
      bother with purchasing them? The data card is $50 and the overdrive chip
      is $10. Additionally, since I have been working on the thing, I have
      been finding this black, gooey, foam-rubbery kind of stuff all over the
      inside of the thing, as well as now ground into my carpeting. What the
      hell is this stuff?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2006
        Joe,

        For your primary computer I would recommend something with an AMD 64-bit
        processor and nothing less. This is where the world is going. Use your
        vintage stuff for fun.

        > I just saw an IBM Model 80 go for $200 on ebay. Now, while I am into
        > vintage computing, I also an looking into upgrading my primary computer,
        > and do not have the cash. Now, the computer that sold did have a
        > Kingston 200MB data card and a 486 upgrade. I see both on eBay. Should I
        > bother with purchasing them? The data card is $50 and the overdrive chip
        > is $10. Additionally, since I have been working on the thing, I have
        > been finding this black, gooey, foam-rubbery kind of stuff all over the
        > inside of the thing, as well as now ground into my carpeting. What the
        > hell is this stuff?

      • David Collins
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2006
          Joe Giliberti wrote:

          >is $10. Additionally, since I have been working on the thing, I have
          >been finding this black, gooey, foam-rubbery kind of stuff all over the
          >inside of the thing, as well as now ground into my carpeting. What the
          >hell is this stuff?

          I've seen something like this with an old Apple Laserwriter.. basically,
          there was a gasket in there
          that disintegrated from old age.. fun stuff..

          -dave c