The IEEE wants our help

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
      Hi all,

      I got an email this morning from Mary Ann Hoffman, Archival and Web Services
      Manager at the IEEE headquarters in Piscataway, N.J. ... Seems that they're
      revamping their data center and decided now is a good time install a
      permanent, modest exhibit of computer history in their offices.

      So they're looking for donations. Unlike in our museum, everything will
      static, and they don't have much space, just one large wall-sized display
      case. Having said that, they'll take what they can get -- systems, antique
      disks, VisiCalc packaging, noteworthy chips, calculators, books, etc.

      Even though we have some duplicates in the MARCH collection, I wasn't about
      to make any unilateral decisions on what if anything to give away. That's
      something we can examine and discuss at our next live gathering.

      So anyway, if individuals want to give the IEEE artifacts on long-term loan,
      then please contact Mary Ann directly at m.hoffman@... and make sure
      you cite this email.

      She also intends to run an article about MARCH in an upcoming IEEE magazine,
      so that will get us some nice publicity.

      - Evan

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2006
        Hey, I never heard back from anyone about this.  (See original message below.)

        Who has stuff to donate or to share with them as a long-term loan?

        Helping them will help us in the long run.  I might go through the Grabbe collection and find some things to loan them internally.  Turns out the IEEE contact is yet another FoF ("friend of Fred") so it shouldn't be any problem, but of course I'll ask for input at the next InfoAge board meeting.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
          I don't have a problem with donating something from our collection at
          InfoAge, especially doubles, as long as the display mentions MARCH and
          has a link to the web site so that people who see it can get more info
          about the club.
          Bill D

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@...> wrote:

          > Hey, I never heard back from anyone about this. (See original message
          > below.)

            An old HP calc or some other PDA would probably fit
            nice into that type of display.

            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan"
            > <evan947@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey, I never heard back from anyone about this.
            > (See original message
            > > below.)

            > Rutgers U. in New
            > Brunswick,
            > > NJ) wants to install a small computer history
            > exhibit. It's probably
            > just
            > > one or two display cabinets but they want it to be
            > semi-permanent.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
              True.  I'm trying to figure out what to donate from my own collection.  Problem is, because of budget and space, I tend to only acquire things I really, really want to have ... so they're not things I want to give away.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
                I offered a couple things, got an email back asking if they could have
                them permanently (said yes) then didn't get any reply to my response.