Re: [midatlanticretro] (was) New Aquisition! - (now) XENIX: Don't format yet!

    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
      Joe,

      Wow. This was really a high end machine when it was new!

      Evan, hush. This machine is in the holy book - page 75.

      > Jim Scheef wrote:
      >
      > >Joe,
      > >
      > >With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just
      > mean a
      > >loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
      > >load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.
      > >
      > >I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
      > >http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list
      > of
      > >FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
      > >(ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.
      > >
      > >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the
      > SCO
      > >UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera.
      > This
      > >is a start to what is probably a long quest.
      > >
      > >Anyway, keep posting your progress.
      > >
      > >Jim
      > >

      > It has 4096k with a RAM expansion board. Knoppix probably wouldn't work.
      > I am going to continue to tinker over the weekend. In the meantime, I
      > can play around with old line BASIC that is in the ROM.

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
        "The holy book"...?

        href="http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html">http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list
        > of
        > >FTPable boot disk images. There is a
        listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
        > >(ESDI)which is probably exactly
        what you need.

        > >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera
        and now you get caught up in the
        > SCO
        > >UNIX mess as it appears
        the files are no longer available from Caldera.
        > This
        > >is a
        start to what is probably a long quest.

        > >Anyway, keep
        posting your progress.

        > >Jim
        > >

        > It has 4096k with a RAM expansion
        board. Knoppix probably wouldn't work.
        > I am going to continue to tinker
        over the weekend. In the meantime, I
        > can play around with old line
        BASIC that is in the ROM.

      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
          Evan wrote:

          > "The holy book"...?

          "And God said The IBM PS/2 Model 80 should be consider holy"
        • William Pechter
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
            Rats...

            Had some SCSI versions at IBM...

            Bill

            --- Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

            > William Pechter wrote:
            > > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?
            >
            > The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.
            >
            > Peace... Sridhar

          • John Allain
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
              I'm still with Family right now for this week, Sometime after will
              probably be OK. Sunday's a choice over Saturday for me.

              John A.

              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 10, 2006
                what kind of server is the NEC?

                http://mail.yahoo.com