Re: [midatlanticretro] (was) New Aquisition! - (now) XENIX: Don't format yet!

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
      I have a Heathkit Hero Jr, and I live less than a mile from Bob Grieb.  Our 'bots can have
      a pre-lim battle in what's left of the lake between us (dams failed about 18 months ago,
      and haven't been repaired).

      Bob
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
        Fight!  Fight!  Fight!

        Maybe we can set up the robots to greet museum visitors.

        William Pechter wrote:

        > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
        > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
        > access...

        > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
        > from either a CD or Floppy...

        > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
        > difficult.

        > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
        > grandson...

        > Bill

        It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
        card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
        10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
        Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
          Evan wrote:
          > Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this
          > list? As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a
          > Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

          These machines are very different. They're more like RS/6000's than PC's.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
            Jim Scheef wrote:

            >Joe,
            >
            >With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just mean a
            >loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
            >load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.
            >
            >I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
            >http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list of
            >FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
            >(ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.
            >
            >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the SCO
            >UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera. This
            >is a start to what is probably a long quest.
            >
            >Anyway, keep posting your progress.
            >
            >Jim

            It has 4096k with a RAM expansion board. Knoppix probably wouldn't work.
            I am going to continue to tinker over the weekend. In the meantime, I
            can play around with old line BASIC that is in the ROM.
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
              Joe,

              Wow. This was really a high end machine when it was new!

              Evan, hush. This machine is in the holy book - page 75.

              > Jim Scheef wrote:
              >
              > >Joe,
              > >
              > >With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just
              > mean a
              > >loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
              > >load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.
              > >
              > >I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
              > >http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list
              > of
              > >FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
              > >(ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.
              > >
              > >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the
              > SCO
              > >UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera.
              > This
              > >is a start to what is probably a long quest.
              > >
              > >Anyway, keep posting your progress.
              > >
              > >Jim
              > >

              > It has 4096k with a RAM expansion board. Knoppix probably wouldn't work.
              > I am going to continue to tinker over the weekend. In the meantime, I
              > can play around with old line BASIC that is in the ROM.

            • Evan
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                "The holy book"...?

                href="http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html">http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list
                > of
                > >FTPable boot disk images. There is a
                listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                > >(ESDI)which is probably exactly
                what you need.

                > >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera
                and now you get caught up in the
                > SCO
                > >UNIX mess as it appears
                the files are no longer available from Caldera.
                > This
                > >is a
                start to what is probably a long quest.

                > >Anyway, keep
                posting your progress.

                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Evan wrote:

                  > "The holy book"...?

                  "And God said The IBM PS/2 Model 80 should be consider holy"
                • William Pechter
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                    Rats...

                    Had some SCSI versions at IBM...

                    Bill

                    --- Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                    > William Pechter wrote:
                    > > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?
                    >
                    > The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.
                    >
                    > Peace... Sridhar

                  • John Allain
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                      I'm still with Family right now for this week, Sometime after will
                      probably be OK. Sunday's a choice over Saturday for me.

                      John A.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 10, 2006
                        what kind of server is the NEC?

                        http://mail.yahoo.com