RE: [midatlanticretro] (was) New Aquisition! - (now) XENIX: Don't format yet!

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
      Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this list?  As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

      Speaking of which, who's up for another meeting/work day at InfoAge?  We need to catalog, catalog, catalog.  I know cataloging isn't exactly the most fun activity but it needs to get done and I can't do it alone.

      Plus there's that MARCH Battle Bots competition between Bob and Joe.  Experience vs. youth!

      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
        I have a Heathkit Hero Jr, and I live less than a mile from Bob Grieb.  Our 'bots can have
        a pre-lim battle in what's left of the lake between us (dams failed about 18 months ago,
        and haven't been repaired).

        Bob

        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
          Fight!  Fight!  Fight!

          Maybe we can set up the robots to greet museum visitors.

          William Pechter wrote:

          > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
          > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
          > access...

          > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
          > from either a CD or Floppy...

          > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
          > difficult.

          > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
          > grandson...

          > Bill

          It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
          card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
          10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
          Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
            Evan wrote:
            > Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this
            > list? As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a
            > Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

            These machines are very different. They're more like RS/6000's than PC's.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
              Jim Scheef wrote:

              >Joe,
              >
              >With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just mean a
              >loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
              >load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.
              >
              >I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
              >http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list of
              >FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
              >(ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.
              >
              >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the SCO
              >UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera. This
              >is a start to what is probably a long quest.
              >
              >Anyway, keep posting your progress.
              >
              >Jim

              It has 4096k with a RAM expansion board. Knoppix probably wouldn't work.
              I am going to continue to tinker over the weekend. In the meantime, I
              can play around with old line BASIC that is in the ROM.
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                Joe,

                Wow. This was really a high end machine when it was new!

                Evan, hush. This machine is in the holy book - page 75.

                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                  "The holy book"...?

                  href="http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html">http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list
                  > of
                  > >FTPable boot disk images. There is a
                  listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                  > >(ESDI)which is probably exactly
                  what you need.

                  > >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera
                  and now you get caught up in the
                  > SCO
                  > >UNIX mess as it appears
                  the files are no longer available from Caldera.
                  > This
                  > >is a
                  start to what is probably a long quest.

                  > >Anyway, keep
                  posting your progress.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                    Evan wrote:

                    > "The holy book"...?

                    "And God said The IBM PS/2 Model 80 should be consider holy"
                  • William Pechter
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                      Rats...

                      Had some SCSI versions at IBM...

                      Bill

                      --- Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                      > William Pechter wrote:
                      > > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?
                      >
                      > The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.
                      >
                      > Peace... Sridhar

                    • John Allain
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                        I'm still with Family right now for this week, Sometime after will
                        probably be OK. Sunday's a choice over Saturday for me.

                        John A.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 10, 2006
                          what kind of server is the NEC?

                          http://mail.yahoo.com