Re: [midatlanticretro] (was) New Aquisition! - (now) XENIX: Don't format yet!

  • William Pechter
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
      Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?

      Bill

      Joe Giliberti <starbase89@...> wrote:
      William Pechter wrote:

      > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
      > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
      > access...

      > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
      > from either a CD or Floppy...

      > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
      > difficult.

      > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
      > grandson...

      > Bill

      It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
      card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
      10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
      Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
        Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this list?  As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

        Speaking of which, who's up for another meeting/work day at InfoAge?  We need to catalog, catalog, catalog.  I know cataloging isn't exactly the most fun activity but it needs to get done and I can't do it alone.

        Plus there's that MARCH Battle Bots competition between Bob and Joe.  Experience vs. youth!

        William Pechter wrote:

        > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
        > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
        > access...

        > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
        > from either a CD or Floppy...

        > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
        > difficult.

        > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
        > grandson...

        > Bill

        It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
        card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
        10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
        Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
          William Pechter wrote:
          > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?

          The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
            I have a Heathkit Hero Jr, and I live less than a mile from Bob Grieb.  Our 'bots can have
            a pre-lim battle in what's left of the lake between us (dams failed about 18 months ago,
            and haven't been repaired).

            Bob

            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
              Fight!  Fight!  Fight!

              Maybe we can set up the robots to greet museum visitors.

              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                Evan wrote:
                > Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this
                > list? As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a
                > Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

                These machines are very different. They're more like RS/6000's than PC's.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Jim Scheef wrote:

                  >Joe,
                  >
                  >With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just mean a
                  >loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
                  >load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.
                  >
                  >I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
                  >http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list of
                  >FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                  >(ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.
                  >
                  >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the SCO
                  >UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera. This
                  >is a start to what is probably a long quest.
                  >
                  >Anyway, keep posting your progress.
                  >
                  >Jim

                  It has 4096k with a RAM expansion board. Knoppix probably wouldn't work.
                  I am going to continue to tinker over the weekend. In the meantime, I
                  can play around with old line BASIC that is in the ROM.
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                    Joe,

                    Wow. This was really a high end machine when it was new!

                    Evan, hush. This machine is in the holy book - page 75.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                      "The holy book"...?

                      href="http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html">http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list
                      > of
                      > >FTPable boot disk images. There is a
                      listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                      > >(ESDI)which is probably exactly
                      what you need.

                      > >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera
                      and now you get caught up in the
                      > SCO
                      > >UNIX mess as it appears
                      the files are no longer available from Caldera.
                      > This
                      > >is a
                      start to what is probably a long quest.

                      > >Anyway, keep
                      posting your progress.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                        Evan wrote:

                        > "The holy book"...?

                        "And God said The IBM PS/2 Model 80 should be consider holy"
                      • William Pechter
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                          Rats...

                          Had some SCSI versions at IBM...

                          Bill

                          --- Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                          > William Pechter wrote:
                          > > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?
                          >
                          > The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.
                          >
                          > Peace... Sridhar

                        • John Allain
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                            I'm still with Family right now for this week, Sometime after will
                            probably be OK. Sunday's a choice over Saturday for me.

                            John A.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 10, 2006
                              what kind of server is the NEC?

                              http://mail.yahoo.com