RE: [midatlanticretro] (was) New Aquisition! - (now) XENIX: Don't format yet!

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
      Joe:

      Using Jim's link, I was able to find a downloadable version of said boot
      disk. I have downloaded it, and cand sen it along if you would like to try
      it.

      I think you still need the correct setup disk for this machine to tell it to
      boot from floppy.

      Kelly

      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
        Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?

        Bill

        Joe Giliberti <starbase89@...> wrote:
        William Pechter wrote:

        > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
        > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
        > access...

        > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
        > from either a CD or Floppy...

        > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
        > difficult.

        > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
        > grandson...

        > Bill

        It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
        card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
        10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
        Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
          Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this list?  As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

          Speaking of which, who's up for another meeting/work day at InfoAge?  We need to catalog, catalog, catalog.  I know cataloging isn't exactly the most fun activity but it needs to get done and I can't do it alone.

          Plus there's that MARCH Battle Bots competition between Bob and Joe.  Experience vs. youth!

          William Pechter wrote:

          > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
          > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
          > access...

          > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
          > from either a CD or Floppy...

          > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
          > difficult.

          > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
          > grandson...

          > Bill

          It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
          card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
          10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
          Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
            William Pechter wrote:
            > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?

            The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
              I have a Heathkit Hero Jr, and I live less than a mile from Bob Grieb.  Our 'bots can have
              a pre-lim battle in what's left of the lake between us (dams failed about 18 months ago,
              and haven't been repaired).

              Bob

              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                Fight!  Fight!  Fight!

                Maybe we can set up the robots to greet museum visitors.

                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Evan wrote:
                  > Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this
                  > list? As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a
                  > Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

                  These machines are very different. They're more like RS/6000's than PC's.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                    Jim Scheef wrote:

                    >Joe,
                    >
                    >With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just mean a
                    >loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
                    >load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.
                    >
                    >I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
                    >http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list of
                    >FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                    >(ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.
                    >
                    >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the SCO
                    >UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera. This
                    >is a start to what is probably a long quest.
                    >
                    >Anyway, keep posting your progress.
                    >
                    >Jim

                    It has 4096k with a RAM expansion board. Knoppix probably wouldn't work.
                    I am going to continue to tinker over the weekend. In the meantime, I
                    can play around with old line BASIC that is in the ROM.
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                      Joe,

                      Wow. This was really a high end machine when it was new!

                      Evan, hush. This machine is in the holy book - page 75.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                        "The holy book"...?

                        href="http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html">http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list
                        > of
                        > >FTPable boot disk images. There is a
                        listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                        > >(ESDI)which is probably exactly
                        what you need.

                        > >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera
                        and now you get caught up in the
                        > SCO
                        > >UNIX mess as it appears
                        the files are no longer available from Caldera.
                        > This
                        > >is a
                        start to what is probably a long quest.

                        > >Anyway, keep
                        posting your progress.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                          Evan wrote:

                          > "The holy book"...?

                          "And God said The IBM PS/2 Model 80 should be consider holy"
                        • William Pechter
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                            Rats...

                            Had some SCSI versions at IBM...

                            Bill

                            --- Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                            > William Pechter wrote:
                            > > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?
                            >
                            > The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.
                            >
                            > Peace... Sridhar

                          • John Allain
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                              I'm still with Family right now for this week, Sometime after will
                              probably be OK. Sunday's a choice over Saturday for me.

                              John A.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 10, 2006
                                what kind of server is the NEC?

                                http://mail.yahoo.com