Re: [midatlanticretro] (was) New Aquisition! - (now) XENIX: Don't format yet!

    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
      Joe,

      With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just mean a
      loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
      load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.

      I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
      http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list of
      FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
      (ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.

      Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the SCO
      UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera. This
      is a start to what is probably a long quest.

      Anyway, keep posting your progress.

      > William Pechter wrote:
      >
      > > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
      > > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
      > > access...
      > >
      > > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
      > > from either a CD or Floppy...
      > >
      > > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
      > > difficult.
      > >
      > > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
      > > grandson...
      > >
      > > Bill
      > >
      > It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
      > card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
      > 10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
      > Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
        Joe:

        Using Jim's link, I was able to find a downloadable version of said boot
        disk. I have downloaded it, and cand sen it along if you would like to try
        it.

        I think you still need the correct setup disk for this machine to tell it to
        boot from floppy.

        Kelly

        With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just
        mean a
        loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough
        load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.

        I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference
        http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a
        list of
        FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA
        3.5"
        (ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.

        Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the
        SCO
        UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera.
        This
        is a start to what is probably a long quest.

        Anyway, keep posting your progress.

        > William Pechter wrote:
        >
        > > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box

        > > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
        > > access...
        > >
        > > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix

        > > from either a CD or Floppy...
        > >
        > > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
        > > difficult.
        > >
        > > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
        > > grandson...
        > >
        > > Bill
        > >
        > It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring

        > card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
        > 10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
        > Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • William Pechter
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
          Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?

          Bill

          Joe Giliberti <starbase89@...> wrote:
          William Pechter wrote:

          > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
          > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
          > access...

          > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
          > from either a CD or Floppy...

          > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
          > difficult.

          > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
          > grandson...

          > Bill

          It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
          card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
          10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
          Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
            Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this list?  As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

            Speaking of which, who's up for another meeting/work day at InfoAge?  We need to catalog, catalog, catalog.  I know cataloging isn't exactly the most fun activity but it needs to get done and I can't do it alone.

            Plus there's that MARCH Battle Bots competition between Bob and Joe.  Experience vs. youth!

            William Pechter wrote:

            > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
            > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
            > access...

            > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
            > from either a CD or Floppy...

            > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
            > difficult.

            > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
            > grandson...

            > Bill

            It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
            card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
            10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
            Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
              William Pechter wrote:
              > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?

              The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Bob Applegate
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                I have a Heathkit Hero Jr, and I live less than a mile from Bob Grieb.  Our 'bots can have
                a pre-lim battle in what's left of the lake between us (dams failed about 18 months ago,
                and haven't been repaired).

                Bob

                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Fight!  Fight!  Fight!

                  Maybe we can set up the robots to greet museum visitors.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                    Evan wrote:
                    > Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this
                    > list? As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a
                    > Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

                    These machines are very different. They're more like RS/6000's than PC's.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                      Jim Scheef wrote:

                      >Joe,
                      >
                      >With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just mean a
                      >loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
                      >load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.
                      >
                      >I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
                      >http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list of
                      >FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                      >(ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.
                      >
                      >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the SCO
                      >UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera. This
                      >is a start to what is probably a long quest.
                      >
                      >Anyway, keep posting your progress.
                      >
                      >Jim

                      It has 4096k with a RAM expansion board. Knoppix probably wouldn't work.
                      I am going to continue to tinker over the weekend. In the meantime, I
                      can play around with old line BASIC that is in the ROM.
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                        Joe,

                        Wow. This was really a high end machine when it was new!

                        Evan, hush. This machine is in the holy book - page 75.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                          "The holy book"...?

                          href="http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html">http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list
                          > of
                          > >FTPable boot disk images. There is a
                          listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                          > >(ESDI)which is probably exactly
                          what you need.

                          > >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera
                          and now you get caught up in the
                          > SCO
                          > >UNIX mess as it appears
                          the files are no longer available from Caldera.
                          > This
                          > >is a
                          start to what is probably a long quest.

                          > >Anyway, keep
                          posting your progress.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                            Evan wrote:

                            > "The holy book"...?

                            "And God said The IBM PS/2 Model 80 should be consider holy"
                          • William Pechter
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                              Rats...

                              Had some SCSI versions at IBM...

                              Bill

                              --- Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                              > William Pechter wrote:
                              > > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?
                              >
                              > The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.
                              >
                              > Peace... Sridhar

                            • John Allain
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                                I'm still with Family right now for this week, Sometime after will
                                probably be OK. Sunday's a choice over Saturday for me.

                                John A.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 10, 2006
                                  what kind of server is the NEC?

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com