Re: [midatlanticretro] (was) New Aquisition! - (now) XENIX: Don't format yet!

  • William Pechter
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 4, 2006
      There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get access...

      Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix from either a CD or Floppy...

      It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more difficult.

      I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's grandson...

      Bill

      Joe Giliberti <starbase89@...> wrote:
      B. Degnan wrote:

      >You'll learn more if you try to figure out how it was used as-is, keeping
      >the XENIX OS intact first before formatting with DOS.  You might be able to
      >find a terminal that you can attach to the DB-25 ports.  I am sure that
      >there are XENIX info sources out on the web.  If you can't find anything
      >let me know and I will send you a copy of a quick reference card or
      >something.  It's a good OS, it will give you historical perspective about
      >the evolution of networking.    I have never seen a model 80 with XENIX
      >myself, it would be interesting to see how boot/driver processing is
      >handled by XENIX on a PS/2.
      >Bill D

      I'll give it a chance. My father, who used to work a Bell Labs was
      telling me that XENIX is essentially UNIX, under the Microsoft name.
      Now, there is apparently a password lockout on this machine. Can anyone
      tell me the default username and password for XENIX 5, if such a thing
      exists? It doesn't seem to want to read the floppy disk, and I'm not
      sure what kind of tape drive this is. It seems to have been made
      specifically for this model.

      Vintage computerComputer securityComputer training
      Field trip

    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 4, 2006
        William Pechter wrote:

        > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
        > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
        > access...
        >
        > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
        > from either a CD or Floppy...
        >
        > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
        > difficult.
        >
        > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
        > grandson...
        >
        > Bill

        It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
        card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
        10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
        Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
          Joe,

          With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just mean a
          loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
          load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.

          I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
          http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list of
          FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
          (ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.

          Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the SCO
          UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera. This
          is a start to what is probably a long quest.

          Anyway, keep posting your progress.

          > William Pechter wrote:
          >
          > > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
          > > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
          > > access...
          > >
          > > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
          > > from either a CD or Floppy...
          > >
          > > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
          > > difficult.
          > >
          > > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
          > > grandson...
          > >
          > > Bill
          > >
          > It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
          > card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
          > 10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
          > Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

        • Kelly Leavitt
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
            Joe:

            Using Jim's link, I was able to find a downloadable version of said boot
            disk. I have downloaded it, and cand sen it along if you would like to try
            it.

            I think you still need the correct setup disk for this machine to tell it to
            boot from floppy.

            Kelly

            With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just
            mean a
            loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough
            load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.

            I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference
            http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a
            list of
            FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA
            3.5"
            (ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.

            Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the
            SCO
            UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera.
            This
            is a start to what is probably a long quest.

            Anyway, keep posting your progress.

            > William Pechter wrote:
            >
            > > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box

            > > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
            > > access...
            > >
            > > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix

            > > from either a CD or Floppy...
            > >
            > > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
            > > difficult.
            > >
            > > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
            > > grandson...
            > >
            > > Bill
            > >
            > It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring

            > card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
            > 10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
            > Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • William Pechter
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
              Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?

              William Pechter wrote:

              > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
              > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
              > access...

              > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
              > from either a CD or Floppy...

              > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
              > difficult.

              > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
              > grandson...

              > Bill

              It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
              card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
              10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
              Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

            • Evan
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this list?  As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

                Speaking of which, who's up for another meeting/work day at InfoAge?  We need to catalog, catalog, catalog.  I know cataloging isn't exactly the most fun activity but it needs to get done and I can't do it alone.

                Plus there's that MARCH Battle Bots competition between Bob and Joe.  Experience vs. youth!

                William Pechter wrote:

                > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
                > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
                > access...

                > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
                > from either a CD or Floppy...

                > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
                > difficult.

                > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
                > grandson...

                > Bill

                It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
                card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
                10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
                Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                  William Pechter wrote:
                  > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?

                  The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                • Bob Applegate
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                    I have a Heathkit Hero Jr, and I live less than a mile from Bob Grieb.  Our 'bots can have
                    a pre-lim battle in what's left of the lake between us (dams failed about 18 months ago,
                    and haven't been repaired).

                    Bob

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                      Fight!  Fight!  Fight!

                      Maybe we can set up the robots to greet museum visitors.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                        Evan wrote:
                        > Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this
                        > list? As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a
                        > Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

                        These machines are very different. They're more like RS/6000's than PC's.

                        Peace... Sridhar
                      • Joe Giliberti
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                          Jim Scheef wrote:

                          >Joe,
                          >
                          >With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just mean a
                          >loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
                          >load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.
                          >
                          >I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
                          >http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list of
                          >FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                          >(ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.
                          >
                          >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the SCO
                          >UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera. This
                          >is a start to what is probably a long quest.
                          >
                          >Anyway, keep posting your progress.
                          >
                          >Jim

                          It has 4096k with a RAM expansion board. Knoppix probably wouldn't work.
                          I am going to continue to tinker over the weekend. In the meantime, I
                          can play around with old line BASIC that is in the ROM.
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                            Joe,

                            Wow. This was really a high end machine when it was new!

                            Evan, hush. This machine is in the holy book - page 75.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                              "The holy book"...?

                              href="http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html">http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list
                              > of
                              > >FTPable boot disk images. There is a
                              listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                              > >(ESDI)which is probably exactly
                              what you need.

                              > >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera
                              and now you get caught up in the
                              > SCO
                              > >UNIX mess as it appears
                              the files are no longer available from Caldera.
                              > This
                              > >is a
                              start to what is probably a long quest.

                              > >Anyway, keep
                              posting your progress.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                                Evan wrote:

                                > "The holy book"...?

                                "And God said The IBM PS/2 Model 80 should be consider holy"
                              • William Pechter
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                                  Rats...

                                  Had some SCSI versions at IBM...

                                  Bill

                                  --- Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                                  > William Pechter wrote:
                                  > > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?
                                  >
                                  > The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.
                                  >
                                  > Peace... Sridhar

                                • John Allain
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                                    I'm still with Family right now for this week, Sometime after will
                                    probably be OK. Sunday's a choice over Saturday for me.

                                    John A.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 10, 2006
                                      what kind of server is the NEC?

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com