Off topic?

  • Bob Grieb
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
      Hi Evan,

      Just thought I would mention that I got the Hero robot
      working a while ago. New batteries, a bunch of re-soldering,
      etc. I think all of the fcns are working. Not sure what to do with it
      next. I could maybe try to make some sort of demo that would be
      amusing at TCF or something. Not sure what is appropriate. It has an
      "auto-mode" ROM, which causes it to just wander around a room, avoiding
      objects and saying funny things.
      That would require a lot more space than last year's TCF room,
      and the batteries probably would only last 1-2 hrs. I was thinking of
      something using the robot arm and the speech.

      Bob Grieb

      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
      dsl.yahoo.com
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
        Bob Grieb wrote:

        >Hi Evan,
        >
        > Just thought I would mention that I got the Hero robot
        >working a while ago. New batteries, a bunch of re-soldering,
        >etc. I think all of the fcns are working. Not sure what to do with it
        >next. I could maybe try to make some sort of demo that would be
        >amusing at TCF or something. Not sure what is appropriate. It has an
        >"auto-mode" ROM, which causes it to just wander around a room, avoiding
        >objects and saying funny things.
        >That would require a lot more space than last year's TCF room,
        >and the batteries probably would only last 1-2 hrs. I was thinking of
        >something using the robot arm and the speech.
        >
        > Bob Grieb

        I've got something similar. Its an Omnibot 2000, and old Tomy from '85.
        One of the arms is missing, but the motorized arm is still intact. This
        is one of the kinds that uses an audiotape to execute a program of
        movement. It even has a tray which it can use to serve drinks. I'd have
        to get a new sealed lead acid battery for the thing, but I could get it
        running if it could make things more interesting.
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
          Great, let's install a battle ring in our museum for the vintage robots to fight.   :)