Re: [midatlanticretro] Adventures in Commodore 64

  • Justin Jernigan
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
      All Jeff needs is 15 minutes with Bill D#3 and he will be a desoldering and solderding master!  Bill D#3 put me to task at VCFestivus, I am a better soldered/desoderer for it.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 5, 2011, at 12:42 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      If could find something closer to practice after I start my learning, that would be helpful.

      You should just buy an electronics trainer kit.  Radio Shack has plenty, or buy something online.  That way you'll learn to solder WHILE learning electronics, vs. soldering by itself.  Kind of like learning a foreign language by living in a foreign country vs. just practicing the language without any real context.

      And of course, sign up for Dan's VCF workshop!!!

    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 5, 2011
        On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

        Of course I could get any software for the C64 that I want, but my goal is to added it to the archives of the C64 preservation project. This explains the goal of the C64 Preservation project: http://c64preservation.com/.  Basically preserve original software with copy protection and all. And there are many versions of the same protection for the same software.

        sounds good. Not sure why you would need to preserve the images with copy protection, since most of these files are available without it already.

        Are you asking for a C64 utility that will put the directory listing to a text file ?

        yes, I can't recall what utility I used back then - I wish I can remember. If you have one I like to try it. I would use it to inventory all the programs - the filename, and diskette ID, since they're cracked you can pack upto 10 programs on each side, depending on the file size.
        I would make a new disk ID each time I made a disk full of programs to keep them sorted. This util would read all the filenames on the disk, including the disk ID and store it in a file. Then I would append the list with the next disk to the file and so on until I had all disks inventoried.
        So with this list then I can lookup program on the diskette, about 400 of them, using labels I made that matched the disk ID, and keep them sorted in my diskette box. I would upload this list to the BBS's so the rest of us could share it.

      • Ray Sills
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 5, 2011
          On Mar 5, 2011, at 9:08 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:

          > yes, I can't recall what utility I used back then - I wish I can
          > remember. If you have one I like to try it. I would use it to
          > inventory all the programs - the filename, and diskette ID, since
          > they're cracked you can pack upto 10 programs on each side,
          > depending on the file size.
          > I would make a new disk ID each time I made a disk full of programs
          > to keep them sorted. This util would read all the filenames on the
          > disk, including the disk ID and store it in a file. Then I would
          > append the list with the next disk to the file and so on until I
          > had all disks inventoried.
          > So with this list then I can lookup program on the diskette, about
          > 400 of them, using labels I made that matched the disk ID, and keep
          > them sorted in my diskette box. I would upload this list to the
          > BBS's so the rest of us could share it.

          I'd be a bit cautious about that. There's a good chance that much of
          that old software is still protected by copyright, even though it's
          out of production and unavailable from the publisher. Someone may
          still own the rights, and if they find an on-line source distributing
          the material they still own without a license to do so, the could be
          the issue of a lawsuit. It would be worth trying to make a good
          faith attempt to reach the copyright holder and ask permission to
          post the programs.

          Sure, almost all those programs are now "abandon-ware".. and the
          original publishers may be totally defunct. But, some publishers
          still are in business, even if they are not supporting a particular
          computer, like the C64. They might offer a license to archive the
          old programs as a strictly non-commercial basis. (That you don't re-
          sell at a profit).

          73 de Ray