Re: [midatlanticretro] Problem with IBM PS/2 Model 80-041

  • madodel
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
      Joe Giliberti wrote:
      > I've just run into a problem. It seemed that there was something wrong
      > with the Computone terminal MCA card and breakout box. The machine
      > refused to boot when it got to testing the card and loading the drivers.
      > I removed the card. Now, it refuses to see the Hard Drive and is just
      > booting into BASIC. it is also giving me a 165 error code at boot. When
      > I have tried to boot from a floppy, it acts as if the disk is blank and
      > proceeds to boot into BASIC. I have tried a DOS 5.2 and 3.2 boot disk,
      > along with an OS/2 boot disk. I even tried a reference disk. Nothing. Is
      > there some special formattig method I should do to the floppies?
      > Additionally, when I turn it on, there is a very high pitched whine
      > coming from somewhere in the case. I don't know if it is coming from the
      > speaker or from somewhere else.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Joe G

      A great place to ask about PS/2 problems is the Usenet group
      comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware

      A list of PS/2 error codes can be found at
      http://www.computercraft.com/docs/ps2d.html "165 PS/2 system options
      not set" So I would think that you would correct this using the
      Reference diskette for the model 80. You might check out
      http://ps2supersite.homedns.org/files/ for the latest release of the
      80 reference disk in case the one you have isn't. Another site (
      http://www.bioscentral.com/misc/ibmdiag.htm ) lists the 165 error as
      "PS/2 adapter ID mismatch" so maybe you can try pulling out any
      unnecessary cards and see if the error goes away.

      Mark

      --

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005
      http://www.warpstock.org
      Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20
      http://www.warpstock.net

      http://www.os2voice.org

      growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than
      their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism -
      ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any
      controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message
      proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
        Joe Giliberti wrote:
        > I've just run into a problem. It seemed that there was something wrong
        > with the Computone terminal MCA card and breakout box. The machine
        > refused to boot when it got to testing the card and loading the drivers.
        > I removed the card. Now, it refuses to see the Hard Drive and is just
        > booting into BASIC. it is also giving me a 165 error code at boot. When
        > I have tried to boot from a floppy, it acts as if the disk is blank and
        > proceeds to boot into BASIC. I have tried a DOS 5.2 and 3.2 boot disk,
        > along with an OS/2 boot disk. I even tried a reference disk. Nothing. Is
        > there some special formattig method I should do to the floppies?
        > Additionally, when I turn it on, there is a very high pitched whine
        > coming from somewhere in the case. I don't know if it is coming from the
        > speaker or from somewhere else.

        You need to boot off of the reference diskette. It's the only diskette
        the machine will boot until it's been configured. MCA machines use
        reference diskettes like other machines use BIOS configuration programs.

        Are you sure the reference diskette you tried is the correct one for
        this model? The one you need is rf7080a.exe. BTW, the 16x series of
        errors means "configuration error".

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
          Joe Giliberti wrote:
          > I've just run into a problem. It seemed that there was something wrong
          > with the Computone terminal MCA card and breakout box. The machine
          > refused to boot when it got to testing the card and loading the drivers.
          > I removed the card. Now, it refuses to see the Hard Drive and is just
          > booting into BASIC. it is also giving me a 165 error code at boot. When
          > I have tried to boot from a floppy, it acts as if the disk is blank and
          > proceeds to boot into BASIC. I have tried a DOS 5.2 and 3.2 boot disk,
          > along with an OS/2 boot disk. I even tried a reference disk. Nothing. Is
          > there some special formattig method I should do to the floppies?
          > Additionally, when I turn it on, there is a very high pitched whine
          > coming from somewhere in the case. I don't know if it is coming from the
          > speaker or from somewhere else.

          By the way, set the clock on your computer properly. It's more than a
          month off. It screws with people's email systems.

          Peace... Sridhar