Re: [midatlanticretro] GEM, It was truly outrageous.

  • Gene Buckle
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2011
      On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Christian Liendo wrote:

      > I remember GEM on the PC and Atari ST. The Atari one was better since
      > Apple didn't sue to remove overlapping windows..

      AFAIK, they're visually the same. I know there was issue with GEM v1, but
      Atari used a v2 source tree. We tried to recover it all, but there was
      water damage to much of the DRI archive in Monterey. I've got a manifest
      of what was lost and it's enough to make a grown geek cry.

      > I didn't know anyone still owned the rights to DR-DOS or GEM.

      Caldera purchased the DRI assets from Novell in 1996.

      > I was talking to Herb Johnson about GEM a couple of years ago.
      >
      > http://www.retrotechnology.com/dri/GEM.html
      >
      > I think he tried to link one of your pages but it is broken.

      The link is screwed up and points (partially) to some sourceforge project.
      Note that the GEM mailing list has never been on Yahoo! - I've hosted it
      myself since it was created. (gem-dev@...)

      g.
      --
      Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

      by the clean end.
    • Christian Liendo

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2011
          --- On Fri, 3/4/11, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

          > I remember GEM on the PC and Atari
          > ST.
          > The Atari one was better since Apple didn't sue to remove
          > overlapping windows..

          Yeah, I never understood how that slipped through. But you're right. GEM was truly, truly, truly outrageous. Woo! GEM!

          -Ian