Re: [midatlanticretro] top/bottom posting -stop

  • Gene Buckle
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4 7:20 AM
      On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, system@... wrote:

      >> Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
      >> minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
      >> which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick
      >> up a turd by the clean end.
      >
      > This always brings a chuckle!

      Thanks. Not my original work though. I found it and snapped it up. :)

      > I went to your Deltasoft site. What the hell is your GEM? There are
      > links to download it but nothing says what it is. The only GEM I know
      > is the compiler backend:

      GEM is Digital Research's Graphical Environment Manager. It's essentially
      a GUI that runs on top of DOS. Roger Gross & I worked with Caldera in
      1996 to get it open sourced. We did OpenDOS too, but Caldera scrapped the
      project before they released the whole source tree. The sad thing is that
      I've got a full source distribution (toolchain, everything) that I can't
      release because the current owners are complete tools. They're still
      flogging DR-DOS to the embedded market. They also got caught distributing
      Udo Kuhnt's(sp!) additions to OpenDOS and that just made them even
      snottier about the whole thing.

      g.

      --
      Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

      by the clean end.
    • Gene Buckle
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4 7:35 AM
        On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, system@... wrote:

        > OK, thanks. Perhaps, you should add a simple explanation of what this is
        > on your web site.

        I would posit that most people that go there already know what it is. :)
        For those that don't, they ask. :)

        g.

        --
        Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

        by the clean end.
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4 7:49 AM
          Let's ensure this does not become a political thread. This isn't the cctalk list.
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4 7:54 AM
            Gene Buckle <geneb@...> writes:

            >On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, system@... wrote:
            >
            >>> Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
            >illogical >> minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
            >mainstream media, >> which holds forth the proposition that it is
            >entirely possible to pick >> up a turd by the clean end. > > This always
            >brings a chuckle! > Thanks. Not my original work though. I found it
            >and snapped it up. :)
            >
            >> I went to your Deltasoft site. What the hell is your GEM? There are
            >> links to download it but nothing says what it is. The only GEM I know
            >> is the compiler backend:
            >
            >GEM is Digital Research's Graphical Environment Manager. It's
            >essentially a GUI that runs on top of DOS. Roger Gross & I worked with
            >Caldera in 1996 to get it open sourced. We did OpenDOS too, but Caldera
            >scrapped the project before they released the whole source tree. The
            >sad thing is that I've got a full source distribution (toolchain,
            >everything) that I can't release because the current owners are complete
            >tools. They're still flogging DR-DOS to the embedded market. They also
            >got caught distributing Udo Kuhnt's(sp!) additions to OpenDOS and that
            >just made them even snottier about the whole thing.

            OK, thanks. Perhaps, you should add a simple explanation of what this is
            on your web site.

            Many times I see things like "Has WonderfulWidget been ported to Wuznot?"
            on usenet and the poster never explains what WonderfulWidget is or does.
            Such an application might already exist in the user space but it may not
            be called WonderfulWidget. A simple description of the application can
            make a world of difference. I won't belabor my disdain of acronyms used
            in postings without maintaining an explanation of them first. I'll save
            that for another rant! :)