Re: [midatlanticretro] Adventures in Commodore 64

  • Gene Buckle
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
      > My next project will be to see if WarpCopy will back up copy protected
      > disks for use in the C64 preservation project. Or if I will have to
      > resort to XE1541 Parallel connection and nibtools.
      Don't bother with the XE1541 cable. Get yourself a ZoomFloppy. Same
      idea, but USB based. With a 1571 drive with a parallel hack applied, you
      can nibble copy a disk (using nibread) in 30 seconds or less.

      see http://www.geneb.org/cbm_disks/nib_images for examples. :D

      g.

      --
      Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

      by the clean end.
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
        On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

        My next project will be to see if WarpCopy will back up copy protected disks for use in the C64 preservation project. Or if I will have to resort to XE1541 Parallel connection and nibtools.

        I'm using Warpcopy too over the C64NIC ethernet, it's great.
        My software has been cr@cked, about 400programs, since when the C64 was new :)
        Besides are you sure the ones you have there aren't already available online ?
        I have to find that utlility again to put the all titles into a text file so I can post the list.
        If you know of one please let me know.

        =Dan

      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

          Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 10:03 AM
          Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Adventures in Commodore 64

          On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

          My next project will be to see if WarpCopy will back up copy protected disks for use in the C64 preservation project. Or if I will have to resort to XE1541 Parallel connection and nibtools.

          I'm using Warpcopy too over the C64NIC ethernet, it's great.
          My software has been cr@cked, about 400programs, since when the C64 was new :)
          Besides are you sure the ones you have there aren't already available online ?
          I have to find that utlility again to put the all titles into a text file so I can post the list.
          If you know of one please let me know.

          =Dan

          ==============================
          Dan,

          Of course I could get any software for the C64 that I want, but my goal is to added it to the archives of the C64 preservation project. This explains the goal of the C64 Preservation project: http://c64preservation.com/.  Basically preserve original software with copy protection and all. And there are many versions of the same protection for the same software.

          Are you asking for a C64 utility that will put the directory listing to a text file ?

          Jeff3 Brace

        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

            Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 9:14 AM

            Jeffrey,
            WHERE are you located? (MARCH covers a large territory.)
            There are places you can learn to solder if you want.  Let's see whether you're near one we know of.
            Bruce
            NJ
            P.S.  If you guys w/o thread-viewing don't know what I'm talking about, it's your own fault for requiring bottom-posting.

          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

              Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 9:14 AM

              Jeffrey,
              WHERE are you located? (MARCH covers a large territory.)
              There are places you can learn to solder if you want.  Let's see whether you're near one we know of.
              Bruce
              NJ
              P.S.  If you guys w/o thread-viewing don't know what I'm talking about, it's your own fault for requiring bottom-posting.

              Bruce,
              Not sure why that didn’t post correctly. Let’s try again. This is annoying to figure out where to start my response on the bottom. I am off of Exit 102 on Parkway. Or 10A on Route 18. About 10 minutes north of Infoage. If could find something closer to practice after I start my learning, that would be helpful. As this guy is Exit 30 on the Parkway.

              Jeff3 Brace

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

                If could find something closer to practice after I start my learning, that would be helpful.

                You should just buy an electronics trainer kit.  Radio Shack has plenty, or buy something online.  That way you'll learn to solder WHILE learning electronics, vs. soldering by itself.  Kind of like learning a foreign language by living in a foreign country vs. just practicing the language without any real context.
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

                  If could find something closer to practice after I start my learning, that would be helpful.

                  You should just buy an electronics trainer kit.  Radio Shack has plenty, or buy something online.  That way you'll learn to solder WHILE learning electronics, vs. soldering by itself.  Kind of like learning a foreign language by living in a foreign country vs. just practicing the language without any real context.

                  And of course, sign up for Dan's VCF workshop!!!
                • Justin Jernigan

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 5, 2011
                      On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                      Of course I could get any software for the C64 that I want, but my goal is to added it to the archives of the C64 preservation project. This explains the goal of the C64 Preservation project: http://c64preservation.com/.  Basically preserve original software with copy protection and all. And there are many versions of the same protection for the same software.

                      sounds good. Not sure why you would need to preserve the images with copy protection, since most of these files are available without it already.

                      Are you asking for a C64 utility that will put the directory listing to a text file ?

                      yes, I can't recall what utility I used back then - I wish I can remember. If you have one I like to try it. I would use it to inventory all the programs - the filename, and diskette ID, since they're cracked you can pack upto 10 programs on each side, depending on the file size.
                      I would make a new disk ID each time I made a disk full of programs to keep them sorted. This util would read all the filenames on the disk, including the disk ID and store it in a file. Then I would append the list with the next disk to the file and so on until I had all disks inventoried.
                      So with this list then I can lookup program on the diskette, about 400 of them, using labels I made that matched the disk ID, and keep them sorted in my diskette box. I would upload this list to the BBS's so the rest of us could share it.

                    • Ray Sills
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 5, 2011
                        On Mar 5, 2011, at 9:08 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:

                        > yes, I can't recall what utility I used back then - I wish I can
                        > remember. If you have one I like to try it. I would use it to
                        > inventory all the programs - the filename, and diskette ID, since
                        > they're cracked you can pack upto 10 programs on each side,
                        > depending on the file size.
                        > I would make a new disk ID each time I made a disk full of programs
                        > to keep them sorted. This util would read all the filenames on the
                        > disk, including the disk ID and store it in a file. Then I would
                        > append the list with the next disk to the file and so on until I
                        > had all disks inventoried.
                        > So with this list then I can lookup program on the diskette, about
                        > 400 of them, using labels I made that matched the disk ID, and keep
                        > them sorted in my diskette box. I would upload this list to the
                        > BBS's so the rest of us could share it.

                        I'd be a bit cautious about that. There's a good chance that much of
                        that old software is still protected by copyright, even though it's
                        out of production and unavailable from the publisher. Someone may
                        still own the rights, and if they find an on-line source distributing
                        the material they still own without a license to do so, the could be
                        the issue of a lawsuit. It would be worth trying to make a good
                        faith attempt to reach the copyright holder and ask permission to
                        post the programs.

                        Sure, almost all those programs are now "abandon-ware".. and the
                        original publishers may be totally defunct. But, some publishers
                        still are in business, even if they are not supporting a particular
                        computer, like the C64. They might offer a license to archive the
                        old programs as a strictly non-commercial basis. (That you don't re-
                        sell at a profit).

                        73 de Ray