Re: [midatlanticretro] Adventures in Commodore 64

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011

      So I have the JiffyDOS, but don’t know how to solder and have been trying to find someone to teach me for years. So I found someone on IRC that will teach me this Sunday. So hopefully I can finally get JiffyDOS installed. Plus I will know how to make chips socketed.

      You could have asked just about anyone at InfoAge ....
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011
        Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 12:50 AM
        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Adventures in Commodore 64

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011

          So I have the JiffyDOS, but don’t know how to solder and have been trying to find someone to teach me for years. So I found someone on IRC that will teach me this Sunday. So hopefully I can finally get JiffyDOS installed. Plus I will know how to make chips socketed.

          You could have asked just about anyone at InfoAge ....

        Second time in the past few days that a reply from you arrived without containing any reply inside .... that's odd ....
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 4 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011
          I blame it on trying to accommodate bottom posting, which is terribly inconvenient for me. Since I can’t just do a quick reply and have to do editing to make it look clean. Let’s see if this works without editing.

          Message 5 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011

            Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 12:50 AM

            So I have the JiffyDOS, but don’t know how to solder and have been trying to find someone to teach me for years. So I found someone on IRC that will teach me this Sunday. So hopefully I can finally get JiffyDOS installed. Plus I will know how to make chips socketed.

            You could have asked just about anyone at InfoAge ....

            ******************************
            And this is the bottom posted response with no editing. I wanted to say that I have asked many times for help for someone to teach me. But no one had the time or the will to teach me. Now off to bed for me !

            Jeff3 Brace

          • Alexey Toptygin
            Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011

              I got reply text in his message, it said:

              > ******************************
              > I have asked many times and posted as such. No one had the time or will to
              > teach me.

              below the text he quoted from your mail. Maybe your client is stripping
              his reply text because it thinks it's a signature (due to the row of *s)?

              Alexey
            • Bruce Freeman
              Message 7 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
                Jeffrey,
                WHERE are you located? (MARCH covers a large territory.)
                There are places you can learn to solder if you want.  Let's see whether you're near one we know of.
                Bruce
                NJ
                P.S.  If you guys w/o thread-viewing don't know what I'm talking about, it's your own fault for requiring bottom-posting.
              • Gene Buckle
                Message 8 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
                  > My next project will be to see if WarpCopy will back up copy protected
                  > disks for use in the C64 preservation project. Or if I will have to
                  > resort to XE1541 Parallel connection and nibtools.
                  Don't bother with the XE1541 cable. Get yourself a ZoomFloppy. Same
                  idea, but USB based. With a 1571 drive with a parallel hack applied, you
                  can nibble copy a disk (using nibread) in 30 seconds or less.

                  see http://www.geneb.org/cbm_disks/nib_images for examples. :D

                  g.

                  --
                  Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

                  by the clean end.
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 9 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
                    On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                    My next project will be to see if WarpCopy will back up copy protected disks for use in the C64 preservation project. Or if I will have to resort to XE1541 Parallel connection and nibtools.

                    I'm using Warpcopy too over the C64NIC ethernet, it's great.
                    My software has been cr@cked, about 400programs, since when the C64 was new :)
                    Besides are you sure the ones you have there aren't already available online ?
                    I have to find that utlility again to put the all titles into a text file so I can post the list.
                    If you know of one please let me know.

                    =Dan

                  • Jeffrey Brace
                    Message 10 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

                      Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 10:03 AM

                      On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                      My next project will be to see if WarpCopy will back up copy protected disks for use in the C64 preservation project. Or if I will have to resort to XE1541 Parallel connection and nibtools.

                      I'm using Warpcopy too over the C64NIC ethernet, it's great.
                      My software has been cr@cked, about 400programs, since when the C64 was new :)
                      Besides are you sure the ones you have there aren't already available online ?
                      I have to find that utlility again to put the all titles into a text file so I can post the list.
                      If you know of one please let me know.

                      =Dan

                      ==============================
                      Dan,

                      Of course I could get any software for the C64 that I want, but my goal is to added it to the archives of the C64 preservation project. This explains the goal of the C64 Preservation project: http://c64preservation.com/.  Basically preserve original software with copy protection and all. And there are many versions of the same protection for the same software.

                      Are you asking for a C64 utility that will put the directory listing to a text file ?

                      Jeff3 Brace

                    • Jeffrey Brace
                      Message 11 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

                        Message 12 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

                          Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 9:14 AM

                          Jeffrey,
                          WHERE are you located? (MARCH covers a large territory.)
                          There are places you can learn to solder if you want.  Let's see whether you're near one we know of.
                          Bruce
                          NJ
                          P.S.  If you guys w/o thread-viewing don't know what I'm talking about, it's your own fault for requiring bottom-posting.

                          Bruce,
                          Not sure why that didn’t post correctly. Let’s try again. This is annoying to figure out where to start my response on the bottom. I am off of Exit 102 on Parkway. Or 10A on Route 18. About 10 minutes north of Infoage. If could find something closer to practice after I start my learning, that would be helpful. As this guy is Exit 30 on the Parkway.

                          Jeff3 Brace

                          Message 13 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

                            If could find something closer to practice after I start my learning, that would be helpful.

                            You should just buy an electronics trainer kit.  Radio Shack has plenty, or buy something online.  That way you'll learn to solder WHILE learning electronics, vs. soldering by itself.  Kind of like learning a foreign language by living in a foreign country vs. just practicing the language without any real context.
                            Message 14 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

                              If could find something closer to practice after I start my learning, that would be helpful.

                              You should just buy an electronics trainer kit.  Radio Shack has plenty, or buy something online.  That way you'll learn to solder WHILE learning electronics, vs. soldering by itself.  Kind of like learning a foreign language by living in a foreign country vs. just practicing the language without any real context.

                              And of course, sign up for Dan's VCF workshop!!!
                            • Justin Jernigan

                                Message 16 of 18 , Mar 5, 2011
                                  On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                                  Of course I could get any software for the C64 that I want, but my goal is to added it to the archives of the C64 preservation project. This explains the goal of the C64 Preservation project: http://c64preservation.com/.  Basically preserve original software with copy protection and all. And there are many versions of the same protection for the same software.

                                  sounds good. Not sure why you would need to preserve the images with copy protection, since most of these files are available without it already.

                                  Are you asking for a C64 utility that will put the directory listing to a text file ?

                                  yes, I can't recall what utility I used back then - I wish I can remember. If you have one I like to try it. I would use it to inventory all the programs - the filename, and diskette ID, since they're cracked you can pack upto 10 programs on each side, depending on the file size.
                                  I would make a new disk ID each time I made a disk full of programs to keep them sorted. This util would read all the filenames on the disk, including the disk ID and store it in a file. Then I would append the list with the next disk to the file and so on until I had all disks inventoried.
                                  So with this list then I can lookup program on the diskette, about 400 of them, using labels I made that matched the disk ID, and keep them sorted in my diskette box. I would upload this list to the BBS's so the rest of us could share it.

                                • Ray Sills
                                  Message 17 of 18 , Mar 5, 2011
                                    On Mar 5, 2011, at 9:08 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                    > yes, I can't recall what utility I used back then - I wish I can
                                    > remember. If you have one I like to try it. I would use it to
                                    > inventory all the programs - the filename, and diskette ID, since
                                    > they're cracked you can pack upto 10 programs on each side,
                                    > depending on the file size.
                                    > I would make a new disk ID each time I made a disk full of programs
                                    > to keep them sorted. This util would read all the filenames on the
                                    > disk, including the disk ID and store it in a file. Then I would
                                    > append the list with the next disk to the file and so on until I
                                    > had all disks inventoried.
                                    > So with this list then I can lookup program on the diskette, about
                                    > 400 of them, using labels I made that matched the disk ID, and keep
                                    > them sorted in my diskette box. I would upload this list to the
                                    > BBS's so the rest of us could share it.

                                    I'd be a bit cautious about that. There's a good chance that much of
                                    that old software is still protected by copyright, even though it's
                                    out of production and unavailable from the publisher. Someone may
                                    still own the rights, and if they find an on-line source distributing
                                    the material they still own without a license to do so, the could be
                                    the issue of a lawsuit. It would be worth trying to make a good
                                    faith attempt to reach the copyright holder and ask permission to
                                    post the programs.

                                    Sure, almost all those programs are now "abandon-ware".. and the
                                    original publishers may be totally defunct. But, some publishers
                                    still are in business, even if they are not supporting a particular
                                    computer, like the C64. They might offer a license to archive the
                                    old programs as a strictly non-commercial basis. (That you don't re-
                                    sell at a profit).

                                    73 de Ray