Re: Mark-8

  • Mike Willegal
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2011
      I casually looked into the Mark-8 a couple of times. Making boards
      at home is certainly feasible, but you are looking at a lot of effort
      to fabricate all 7 of them. Having a fab house make a batch would
      cost a small fortune.

      Most everything you need to get started, including circuit board
      patterns, is here.

      http://www.bytecollector.com/m8_docs.htm

      Before investing too much time in making a PCB, I'd make sure that
      you can find all the parts. 8008's are available, but you really
      should to go through the entire BOM in case there is something really
      difficult to find in the mix.

      Regards,
      Mike Willegal
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2011
        Thanks Museum Volunteers

        The collection looks great, and all of the new stuff was moved and stored in the H building very nicely.  There are even some labels.  I took pictures and will post asap.  Nice rows, clean, not too much junk.  Lots of D|G|I|T|A|L stuff, wow.  The pdp 8/e looks great and there are both RK05 drives and a papertape reader that can be used for I/O.  (assuming there is a matching controller).

        We all owe a debt of thanks to the guys who have been coming to InfoAge to clean up and re-organize the collection, A huge collection.

        I could really see the difference from last year.  So much more organized and most of the items are located in a relatively clean space.  It's great too that we can access almost anything in our collection without having to move a bunch of stuff to get at it.  I think the only thing left is the front basement storage room.

        I understand we're looking for pallets.  I have a few pallets at my office if anyone wants to grab them next time you're in the Wilmington area.

        I wish I could get up there more often.
        I found and removed the loose screw in the Altair, and tested memory, etc.  It's a CUTTER system.  If you hook up to a  terminal call me, I have notes on how to set the terminal switches.
        The SWTPC 6800 with terminal and tape controller is was tested - OK.
        IBM PC - OK
        Built a Mark 8 computer from parts I found lying around, what luck.
             just kidding.

        I had to cut out early from the InfoAge meeting, around 7:30.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 17 11:19 AM
          I'm bringing a schematic for the custom power supply in the loaner
          Mark-8. Hopefully that will help MARCHins get it working.