Re: [midatlanticretro] Speaking of building stuff ...

  • Gene Buckle
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
      On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Bruce Freeman wrote:

      >>> (Gmail makes it really difficult to bottom-post, and makes a very good
      >>> case for top-posting. Now that I'm down here, I'll go ahead...)
      >>
      >> Top-posting never makes sense! ;)
      >>
      >> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost
      >>

      >> No, it makes very good sense with Gmail. Try it. Gmail hides all the
      > carried-over messages, but by its nature makes it very awkward to
      > bottom-post. I can be just as adamant on this point as you hide-bound
      > bottom posters!

      Hey! We *like* our hide-binding! It's shiny!

      > I will try to remember to bottom-post on this forum, but don't hold your
      > breath!

      S'ok, we'll be happy to remind you all the time. :D

      g.

      --
      Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

      by the clean end.
    • brian_cirulnick
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011

        > concept.
        >
        > Another example: I'm always trying to explain to our young visitors how terminals differ from keyboards and monitors. Consider the SWTPc 6800: there's a box (the computer), a standalone screen, and a large-ish thing with a keyboard. Best I could come up with is to explain that keyboards and monitors are just accessories that plug into PCs, while terminals are separate products that "talk" to a computer over a network. Seems like a decent way to explain this to the masses, technical details aside, right?

        Ask the kids if they know what a modem is... If they know, tell them that once upon a time, people didn't *have* COMPUTERS in the house, they were too big, so, terminals allowed people to connect, over the modem, to a distant computer.

        These days we use computers to connect to the internet. But back in the old days, a single computer was kind of like a small, self-contained internet in that many people shared it's resources and worked collaboratively within a computer system. They could even "chat" with each other using a chat program on the computer that sent messages from terminal to terminal.

        When computers got smaller, but were still housed in separate boxes from the keyboard and monitor, the terminals acted as keyboard/monitor "emulators" via a serial connection.
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
          Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

          >>No, it makes very good sense with Gmail. Try it. Gmail hides all the
          >>carried-over messages, but by its nature makes it very awkward to
          >>bottom-post. I can be just as adamant on this point as you hide-bound
          >>bottom posters!
          >
          >>I will try to remember to bottom-post on this forum, but don't hold
          >your >breath!
          >

          >While you're at it - lose the HTML email. HTML has no place in civilized
          >conversation. :D

          Does this imply that it is OK for uncivilized conversation?