Re: [midatlanticretro] Speaking of building stuff ...

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
      On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...> wrote:
      Now for a really neat project, use the Arduino to emulate the early computer kits.  Not even quite possible due to the switch and lamp hardware those old kits used.  Maybe those could be emulated too, like on a CRT?  You could switch between programs and emulate a whole range of early computers.

      There's a CP/M on AVR project online that I've been wanting to build, just to have.
      While not Arduino, it's still an AVR microcontroller.
      It's uses a SD card as storage and small enough to fit in a Altoids tin can
      http://spritesmods.com/?art=avrcpm

      =Dan
      I use desktop Gmail, top or bottom post is possible. But the Gmail phone app makes it difficult to bottom post, have to use the Browser app to bottom post.
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
        >>> I don't know about the early kits, but for a long time desk-top computers hovered at $2500 or so while the value of that money dropped.  I think they only got cheaper around 1990 or so.

        Many homebrew-era kits were priced in the hundreds, not thousands. Even the Apple 1 was (quite famously) $666.66.
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
          >>> Gmail phone app makes it difficult to bottom post

          Just copy and paste the part you're quoting, put some carrots before it, type your reply, and delete the original message. That's what I have been doing all morning via BlackBerry (albeit not using Gmail.)
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
            Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...> writes:

            >neat > things in our collection is an unassembled Morrow S-100 kit. We
            >plan to > leave it unassembled, but maybe lay out the parts and
            >documentation, so > visitors can see the "building" a computer of that
            >period was different than > building one today. Sometimes when I mention
            >DIY computing to museum > visitors, they think it's the same as plugging
            >in modern PC components -- > "Oh I built a computer too." -- ummmm not
            >like this kind you didn't. ; >
            >
            >(Gmail makes it really difficult to bottom-post, and makes a very good
            >case for top-posting. Now that I'm down here, I'll go ahead...)

            Top-posting never makes sense! ;)

            http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost
          • murphnj
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
              On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
              Just copy and paste the part you're quoting, put some carrots before it, type your reply, and delete the original message. That's what I have been doing all morning via BlackBerry (albeit not using Gmail.)

              For that matter, there is a Google labs feature "Quote selected text" in gmail in which you can highlight the text you want to quote, and only that text will show up when you click "reply."  Then you only have to click or cursor to the end to properly bottom-quote.  Very handy.

              --
              Team Amiga  New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.
            • Bruce Freeman
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011

                >(Gmail makes it really difficult to bottom-post, and makes a very good
                >case for top-posting. Now that I'm down here, I'll go ahead...)

                Top-posting never makes sense! ;)

                http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

                No, it makes very good sense with Gmail.  Try it.  Gmail hides all the carried-over messages, but by its nature makes it very awkward to bottom-post.  I can be just as adamant on this point as you hide-bound bottom posters!

                I will try to remember to bottom-post on this forum, but don't hold your breath!
                --
                Bruce
                NJ
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
                  --- On Tue, 3/1/11, Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...> wrote:

                  >No, it makes very good sense with Gmail. Try it. Gmail hides all the
                  >carried-over messages, but by its nature makes it very awkward to
                  >bottom-post. I can be just as adamant on this point as you hide-bound
                  >bottom posters!

                  >I will try to remember to bottom-post on this forum, but don't hold your
                  >breath!

                  While you're at it - lose the HTML email. HTML has no place in civilized conversation. :D

                  -Ian
                • Bob Schwier
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011

                    On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > In case some of our newer members didn't know, one of the really neat
                    > things in our collection is an unassembled Morrow S-100 kit. We plan to
                    > leave it unassembled, but maybe lay out the parts and documentation, so
                    > visitors can see the "building" a computer of that period was different
                    > than building one today. Sometimes when I mention DIY computing to
                    > museum visitors, they think it's the same as plugging in modern PC
                    > components -- "Oh I built a computer too." -- ummmm not like this kind
                    > you didn't. ;)

                    When I have time, I'm going to build a vintage SBC kit I have, a SD
                    Systems Z80 Starter Kit from 1978/79:

                    http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/S100/Z80Starter.jpg

                    I believe all the parts are present. It has two S-100 slots, a
                    wirewrap area, Kansas City Tape interface, 2758/2716 EPROM burner,
                    7-segment display and hex keypad, with the ZBUG monitor in ROM.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                    Is there a source for simple components?  It seems that bread boarding modern equivalents of the chips used at the time
                    might do the trick.  It's probably easier to get the discrete components up to the basic ttl chips than it is to get the
                    micro processor and other more advanced integrated chips.
                    bs
                  • Gene Buckle
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
                      On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Bruce Freeman wrote:

                      >>> (Gmail makes it really difficult to bottom-post, and makes a very good
                      >>> case for top-posting. Now that I'm down here, I'll go ahead...)
                      >>
                      >> Top-posting never makes sense! ;)
                      >>
                      >> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost
                      >>

                      >> No, it makes very good sense with Gmail. Try it. Gmail hides all the
                      > carried-over messages, but by its nature makes it very awkward to
                      > bottom-post. I can be just as adamant on this point as you hide-bound
                      > bottom posters!

                      Hey! We *like* our hide-binding! It's shiny!

                      > I will try to remember to bottom-post on this forum, but don't hold your
                      > breath!

                      S'ok, we'll be happy to remind you all the time. :D

                      g.

                      --
                      Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

                      by the clean end.
                    • brian_cirulnick
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011

                        > concept.
                        >
                        > Another example: I'm always trying to explain to our young visitors how terminals differ from keyboards and monitors. Consider the SWTPc 6800: there's a box (the computer), a standalone screen, and a large-ish thing with a keyboard. Best I could come up with is to explain that keyboards and monitors are just accessories that plug into PCs, while terminals are separate products that "talk" to a computer over a network. Seems like a decent way to explain this to the masses, technical details aside, right?

                        Ask the kids if they know what a modem is... If they know, tell them that once upon a time, people didn't *have* COMPUTERS in the house, they were too big, so, terminals allowed people to connect, over the modem, to a distant computer.

                        These days we use computers to connect to the internet. But back in the old days, a single computer was kind of like a small, self-contained internet in that many people shared it's resources and worked collaboratively within a computer system. They could even "chat" with each other using a chat program on the computer that sent messages from terminal to terminal.

                        When computers got smaller, but were still housed in separate boxes from the keyboard and monitor, the terminals acted as keyboard/monitor "emulators" via a serial connection.
                      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
                          Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

                          >>No, it makes very good sense with Gmail. Try it. Gmail hides all the
                          >>carried-over messages, but by its nature makes it very awkward to
                          >>bottom-post. I can be just as adamant on this point as you hide-bound
                          >>bottom posters!
                          >
                          >>I will try to remember to bottom-post on this forum, but don't hold
                          >your >breath!
                          >

                          >While you're at it - lose the HTML email. HTML has no place in civilized
                          >conversation. :D

                          Does this imply that it is OK for uncivilized conversation?