Re: [midatlanticretro] Mark-8

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2011

      > >>> Build it in 2 days?
      > Sounds like a pipe dream.
      >
      > Some humor was intended in my comment.

      *Assembly* should be very doable in two days. That, of course, assumes that you've already etched and drilled the boards.

      The big question is - are there board layout drawings available? If so, making the boards ourselves is very doable. The Mark 8 boards were simple, double sided boards. Not through plated. Making those yourself with the laser printer toner transfer method is not hard - just tedious.

      Sourcing all the components, especally the processor, will be difficult - although not impossible.

      I see this as a very viable club project. The first step is to collect whatever information is available about the hardware of the Mark 8 - the fixes necessary to make it work, the board interconnection diagrams, etc.

      -Ian
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2011
        On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:

        > Sounds like a pipe dream.
        >
        > Some humor was intended in my comment.

        *Assembly* should be very doable in two days. That, of course, assumes that you've already etched and drilled the boards.

        yes, the assembly is quite doable for those that have the soldering experience.
        And there's 24hrs in a day ;)

        The big question is - are there board layout drawings available? If so, making the boards ourselves is very doable. The Mark 8 boards were simple, double sided boards. Not through plated. Making those yourself with the laser printer toner transfer method is not hard - just tedious.

        Vince Briel once made the scans available on his website, I'm sure he can offer it again.
        There's several websites online documenting the restoration , rebuild, etc of the Mark-8
        And Jon Titus is still available as a direct source of info.

        Sourcing all the components, especally the processor, will be difficult - although not impossible.

        There's the private stash ;)

        I see this as a very viable club project. The first step is to collect whatever information is available about the hardware of the Mark 8 - the fixes necessary to make it work, the board interconnection diagrams, etc.

        For the VCF workshop, I would suggest having one person per board to assemble, then strict QA over the whole assembly before ever applying power. Be ready to stay up all night :)

        =Dan

      • Mike Willegal
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2011
          I casually looked into the Mark-8 a couple of times. Making boards
          at home is certainly feasible, but you are looking at a lot of effort
          to fabricate all 7 of them. Having a fab house make a batch would
          cost a small fortune.

          Most everything you need to get started, including circuit board
          patterns, is here.

          http://www.bytecollector.com/m8_docs.htm

          Before investing too much time in making a PCB, I'd make sure that
          you can find all the parts. 8008's are available, but you really
          should to go through the entire BOM in case there is something really
          difficult to find in the mix.

          Regards,
          Mike Willegal
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2011
            Thanks Museum Volunteers

            The collection looks great, and all of the new stuff was moved and stored in the H building very nicely.  There are even some labels.  I took pictures and will post asap.  Nice rows, clean, not too much junk.  Lots of D|G|I|T|A|L stuff, wow.  The pdp 8/e looks great and there are both RK05 drives and a papertape reader that can be used for I/O.  (assuming there is a matching controller).

            We all owe a debt of thanks to the guys who have been coming to InfoAge to clean up and re-organize the collection, A huge collection.

            I could really see the difference from last year.  So much more organized and most of the items are located in a relatively clean space.  It's great too that we can access almost anything in our collection without having to move a bunch of stuff to get at it.  I think the only thing left is the front basement storage room.

            I understand we're looking for pallets.  I have a few pallets at my office if anyone wants to grab them next time you're in the Wilmington area.

            I wish I could get up there more often.
            I found and removed the loose screw in the Altair, and tested memory, etc.  It's a CUTTER system.  If you hook up to a  terminal call me, I have notes on how to set the terminal switches.
            The SWTPC 6800 with terminal and tape controller is was tested - OK.
            IBM PC - OK
            Built a Mark 8 computer from parts I found lying around, what luck.
                 just kidding.

            I had to cut out early from the InfoAge meeting, around 7:30.

            Message 5 of 10 , May 17, 2013
              I'm bringing a schematic for the custom power supply in the loaner
              Mark-8. Hopefully that will help MARCHins get it working.