Re: [midatlanticretro] New Aquisition!

  • ysgdhio
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
      On 2/2/06, Joe Giliberti <starbase89@...> wrote:
      > The IBM is running, barely. Its running XENIX. Since I know very few
      > Unix commands, I am going to try and format the hard drive and install
      > MS-DOS.

      Eek! Why not try to see how far you can get with Xenix?!
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
        You'll learn more if you try to figure out how it was used as-is, keeping
        the XENIX OS intact first before formatting with DOS. You might be able to
        find a terminal that you can attach to the DB-25 ports. I am sure that
        there are XENIX info sources out on the web. If you can't find anything
        let me know and I will send you a copy of a quick reference card or
        something. It's a good OS, it will give you historical perspective about
        the evolution of networking. I have never seen a model 80 with XENIX
        myself, it would be interesting to see how boot/driver processing is
        handled by XENIX on a PS/2.
        Bill D

        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
          and the fun begins

          At 09:38 PM 2/2/2006 -0500, you wrote:
          >B. Degnan wrote:
          >
          > >You'll learn more if you try to figure out how it was used as-is, keeping
          > >the XENIX OS intact first before formatting with DOS. You might be able to
          > >find a terminal that you can attach to the DB-25 ports. I am sure that
          > >there are XENIX info sources out on the web. If you can't find anything
          > >let me know and I will send you a copy of a quick reference card or
          > >something. It's a good OS, it will give you historical perspective about
          > >the evolution of networking. I have never seen a model 80 with XENIX
          > >myself, it would be interesting to see how boot/driver processing is
          > >handled by XENIX on a PS/2.
          > >Bill D
          > >

          >I'll give it a chance. My father, who used to work a Bell Labs was
          >telling me that XENIX is essentially UNIX, under the Microsoft name.
          >Now, there is apparently a password lockout on this machine. Can anyone
          >tell me the default username and password for XENIX 5, if such a thing
          >exists? It doesn't seem to want to read the floppy disk, and I'm not
          >sure what kind of tape drive this is. It seems to have been made
          >specifically for this model.
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Degnan
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 3, 2006
            fun figuring it out.
            bd

            At Thursday, 02 February 2006, you wrote:

            >B. Degnan wrote:
            >
            >>and the fun begins
            >>

            >I'm not sure if I want to know, but what do you mean?

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 3, 2006
              Joe Giliberti wrote:
              > The other night, I bid on a lot of 8 mixed computers on eBay. I won at a
              > price of $1.76. I just picked them up. Post of them are old Pentium 1
              > machines, but there were two machines that caught my eye. The first is
              > an IBM PS/2 Model 80. It seems to be complete, and then some. Has a
              > floppy drive, and some kind of cartidge tape drive. Has what looks like
              > an old MFM hard drive inside. Additionally, there is a RAM expansion
              > card, the HDD controller card, and some type of SCSI card, with a
              > breakout box on connected with what looks like a Centronics cable. Just,
              > can anyone tell me the basic specs? Is it a 286 or a 386? The other is
              > an older Macintosh. A Preforma 575. It has a built in monitor and a
              > CD-ROM drive, but I'm not sure if it would be considered vintage. It is
              > not PowerPC era. I'm guessing from "575" that is is running at 75MHz,
              > but that may not be the case. Meanwhile, I also have about 6 beigeboxes,
              > one of which is an NEC server. Fun fun fun...

              Not MFM. EDSI. Much, much, much faster than MFM. It should be a 386.
              I have loads of parts for this machine, if you want them. Most of which
              I can let go for free.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • William Pechter
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 4, 2006
                There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get access...

                Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix from either a CD or Floppy...

                It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more difficult.

                I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's grandson...

                Bill

                B. Degnan wrote:

                >You'll learn more if you try to figure out how it was used as-is, keeping
                >the XENIX OS intact first before formatting with DOS.  You might be able to
                >find a terminal that you can attach to the DB-25 ports.  I am sure that
                >there are XENIX info sources out on the web.  If you can't find anything
                >let me know and I will send you a copy of a quick reference card or
                >something.  It's a good OS, it will give you historical perspective about
                >the evolution of networking.    I have never seen a model 80 with XENIX
                >myself, it would be interesting to see how boot/driver processing is
                >handled by XENIX on a PS/2.
                >Bill D

                I'll give it a chance. My father, who used to work a Bell Labs was
                telling me that XENIX is essentially UNIX, under the Microsoft name.
                Now, there is apparently a password lockout on this machine. Can anyone
                tell me the default username and password for XENIX 5, if such a thing
                exists? It doesn't seem to want to read the floppy disk, and I'm not
                sure what kind of tape drive this is. It seems to have been made
                specifically for this model.

                Vintage computerComputer securityComputer training
                Field trip

              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 4, 2006
                  William Pechter wrote:

                  > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
                  > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
                  > access...
                  >
                  > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
                  > from either a CD or Floppy...
                  >
                  > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
                  > difficult.
                  >
                  > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
                  > grandson...
                  >
                  > Bill

                  It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
                  card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
                  10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
                  Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                    Joe,

                    With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just mean a
                    loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
                    load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.

                    I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
                    http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list of
                    FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                    (ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.

                    Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the SCO
                    UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera. This
                    is a start to what is probably a long quest.

                    Anyway, keep posting your progress.

                    > William Pechter wrote:
                    >
                    > > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
                    > > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
                    > > access...
                    > >
                    > > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
                    > > from either a CD or Floppy...
                    > >
                    > > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
                    > > difficult.
                    > >
                    > > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
                    > > grandson...
                    > >
                    > > Bill
                    > >
                    > It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
                    > card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
                    > 10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
                    > Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

                  • Kelly Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                      Joe:

                      Using Jim's link, I was able to find a downloadable version of said boot
                      disk. I have downloaded it, and cand sen it along if you would like to try
                      it.

                      I think you still need the correct setup disk for this machine to tell it to
                      boot from floppy.

                      Kelly

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                        Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?

                        Bill

                        William Pechter wrote:

                        > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
                        > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
                        > access...

                        > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
                        > from either a CD or Floppy...

                        > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
                        > difficult.

                        > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
                        > grandson...

                        > Bill

                        It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
                        card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
                        10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
                        Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

                      • Evan
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                          Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this list?  As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

                          Speaking of which, who's up for another meeting/work day at InfoAge?  We need to catalog, catalog, catalog.  I know cataloging isn't exactly the most fun activity but it needs to get done and I can't do it alone.

                          Plus there's that MARCH Battle Bots competition between Bob and Joe.  Experience vs. youth!

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                            William Pechter wrote:
                            > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?

                            The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.

                            Peace... Sridhar
                          • Bob Applegate
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                              I have a Heathkit Hero Jr, and I live less than a mile from Bob Grieb.  Our 'bots can have
                              a pre-lim battle in what's left of the lake between us (dams failed about 18 months ago,
                              and haven't been repaired).

                              Bob

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                                Fight!  Fight!  Fight!

                                Maybe we can set up the robots to greet museum visitors.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                                  Evan wrote:
                                  > Someone please explain to me why we're troubleshooting a 386 on this
                                  > list? As previously threatened, I'm bringing a shotgun (or at least a
                                  > Wiffleball bat) to our next meeting.

                                  These machines are very different. They're more like RS/6000's than PC's.

                                  Peace... Sridhar
                                • Joe Giliberti
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                                    Jim Scheef wrote:

                                    >Joe,
                                    >
                                    >With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just mean a
                                    >loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
                                    >load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.
                                    >
                                    >I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
                                    >http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list of
                                    >FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                                    >(ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.
                                    >
                                    >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the SCO
                                    >UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera. This
                                    >is a start to what is probably a long quest.
                                    >
                                    >Anyway, keep posting your progress.
                                    >
                                    >Jim

                                    It has 4096k with a RAM expansion board. Knoppix probably wouldn't work.
                                    I am going to continue to tinker over the weekend. In the meantime, I
                                    can play around with old line BASIC that is in the ROM.
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                                      Joe,

                                      Wow. This was really a high end machine when it was new!

                                      Evan, hush. This machine is in the holy book - page 75.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                                        "The holy book"...?

                                        href="http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html">http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list
                                        > of
                                        > >FTPable boot disk images. There is a
                                        listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
                                        > >(ESDI)which is probably exactly
                                        what you need.

                                        > >Unfortunately the links are to Caldera
                                        and now you get caught up in the
                                        > SCO
                                        > >UNIX mess as it appears
                                        the files are no longer available from Caldera.
                                        > This
                                        > >is a
                                        start to what is probably a long quest.

                                        > >Anyway, keep
                                        posting your progress.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 5, 2006
                                          Evan wrote:

                                          > "The holy book"...?

                                          "And God said The IBM PS/2 Model 80 should be consider holy"
                                        • William Pechter
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                                            Rats...

                                            Had some SCSI versions at IBM...

                                            Bill

                                            --- Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                                            > William Pechter wrote:
                                            > > Is there an external scsi connector on the backpanel?
                                            >
                                            > The machine isn't SCSI. It's ESDI.
                                            >
                                            > Peace... Sridhar

                                          • John Allain
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 9, 2006
                                              I'm still with Family right now for this week, Sometime after will
                                              probably be OK. Sunday's a choice over Saturday for me.

                                              John A.

                                              Speaking of which, who's up for another meeting/work day at InfoAge? We
                                              need to catalog, catalog, catalog. I know cataloging isn't exactly the most
                                              fun activity but it needs to get done and I can't do it alone.
                                            • Chris M
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 10, 2006
                                                what kind of server is the NEC?

                                                > The other night, I bid on a lot of 8 mixed computers
                                                > on eBay. I won at a
                                                > price of $1.76. I just picked them up. Post of them
                                                > are old Pentium 1
                                                > machines, but there were two machines that caught my
                                                > eye. The first is
                                                > an IBM PS/2 Model 80. It seems to be complete, and
                                                > then some. Has a
                                                > floppy drive, and some kind of cartidge tape drive.
                                                > Has what looks like
                                                > an old MFM hard drive inside. Additionally, there is
                                                > a RAM expansion
                                                > card, the HDD controller card, and some type of SCSI
                                                > card, with a
                                                > breakout box on connected with what looks like a
                                                > Centronics cable. Just,
                                                > can anyone tell me the basic specs? Is it a 286 or a
                                                > 386? The other is
                                                > an older Macintosh. A Preforma 575. It has a built
                                                > in monitor and a
                                                > CD-ROM drive, but I'm not sure if it would be
                                                > considered vintage. It is
                                                > not PowerPC era. I'm guessing from "575" that is is
                                                > running at 75MHz,
                                                > but that may not be the case. Meanwhile, I also have
                                                > about 6 beigeboxes,
                                                > one of which is an NEC server. Fun fun fun...
                                                >
                                                > Joe G

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                              • Joe Giliberti
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 2, 2006