Re: [midatlanticretro] our second microcomputer exhibit -- opinions please

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
      On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      - Northstar  ......it's the pre '77 generation

      PS - We don't have any N*, we'd have to get one.

      But you listed it just now

      - OSI ............it's the pre '77 generation (which one??)

      Not sure.  I forget, was it Bill Deg. or someone else who rescued some OSI gear for us a few months ago?

      oops another copy/paste typo - that wasn't pre-'77, rather after

      - Atari 800 .....part of the '77 trio

      Wrong!  1979 dude.

      that 2nd oil crisis tended to blur everything from 77-79,  if you were there, together with all these new micro's  ;)

      Rather than another Top20 list as with these weenie wannabe millennial generation tech writers who profess to be insightful on historical technology

      --no offense anyone, just core dumping ;)

      or they can be called microsoft millennials ~haa

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011

        PS - We don't have any N*, we'd have to get one.

        But you listed it just now

        I make mistakes sometimes too.  Very rare though.   :)
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 17 7:18 PM
          Busy day. Jeff F. dropped off another Lisa 2 -- sans keyboard just like
          our other two Lisa 2 systems. Funny story: it came from someone who saw
          our booth at Trenton. The guy said he had an Apple III. I called him
          to say thank you, and to inform him that although we're grateful, it's a
          Lisa 2, not an Apple III. We both had a harmless laugh over his
          misunderstanding. He said, "Well, I also have a Lisa laptop" -- and he
          wasn't kidding. "Excuse me? I'm sorry but you are mistaken again.
          There was no Lisa laptop." "No, it's a Lisa laptop. It's around the
          size of a laptop, with a handle on the back and a 5-1/4" floppy drive
          built into the right side." "You mean an Apple IIc?" "Oh. ....." :)

          I also showed Jeff around our H-building storage. He hasn't been by
          since we moved out of that small corner in the adjacent section. But he
          was one of the people who helped us stuff everything into that corner a
          couple of years ago, so he was quite amazed to see how the collection
          has grown!

          Matt couldn't come today and Jeff J. is on vacation, so it was just me
          and Jeff B. all day. We closed the museum today and spend the afternoon
          in the hotel basement. We sorted all the books and magazines down there
          into library and sale piles. That took pretty much the whole day, but
          now it's finally finished.

          However today's highlight was meeting Oliver Reynolds. Who, you ask?
          Nobody in our realm ever heard of him until today. He's 88 and learned
          about InfoAge by seeing an article in the local weekly newspaper
          recently. He stopped by today and said he worked during starting after
          World War II, and then worked there on and off for a few decades --
          include outside stints at Control Data and Magnavox.

          Old-times visit InfoAge and reminisce about their Camp Evans days all
          the time, so that's not so unusual. The part that REALLY got my
          attention was Steve took him to see our computer exhibits, and he said,
          "Oh, we built a tube computer here in the 1950s."

          OH REALLY .... !!!???

          That is GREAT news. MOBIDIC starting in 1956 was a very early
          transistor computer; meanwhile the generation started by ENIAC was
          considered over by 1953. So if he really built a tube computer at Camp
          Evans, even if it was post-1953, that is VERY early in electronic
          computer history. We already know that Camp Evans was a customer of the
          Moore School's differential analyzer in 1947, so it's possible that
          Reynolds or his colleagues attended the legendary Moore School Lectures
          in 1946 -- I didn't think to ask him. Even if he wasn't there, it never
          occurred to me to look at the lecture roster and see if anyone from Camp
          Evans was there. I'm going to check it out immediately. Meanwhile, he
          did say that he's got a color negative of him standing with the
          computer, and that InfoAge is welcome to scan it. That means we can
          make it into a big poster. He added that he's got a huge scrapbook of
          his time at Camp Evans. So, Fred and I were very excited about this.
          He's going to come by Wednesday afternoon, bring his scrapbook, and do
          an on-camera interview with Fred. Fred says I can ask the
          computer-related questions. This will be fun. And if Camp Evans really
          did build its own tube computer in the 1950s, well, that is a BIG
          addition to our rich history. It's something we can really brag about.
          It's also possible that the computer was classified, and that would
          explain why it's not on the list of early computers in history books.
          For example, I have a book called "An Introduction to Automatic
          Computers" which is very thorough and highly regarded by serious
          historians. It lists the Monrobot-1 (1953) being at Ft. Monmouth, which
          could mean Camp Evans; I don't know any details. Then again, the book
          also lists DYSEAC (1954) also as Ft. Monmouth, which to my knowledge is
          a typo -- DYSEAC was built at the National Bureau of Standards (D.C.)
          and tested at the White Sands Signal Agency (New Mexico).

          Anyway .... I'll report back Wednesday.

          Next weekend, now that we finished stage one of the book sorting, we'll
          move into stage two, which is categorizing the for-sale books.
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 17 8:37 PM
            > However today's highlight was meeting Oliver Reynolds. Who, you ask?
            > Nobody in our realm ever heard of him until today. He's 88 and learned
            > about InfoAge by seeing an article in the local weekly newspaper
            > recently. He stopped by today and said he worked during starting after
            > World War II, and then worked there on and off for a few decades --
            > include outside stints at Control Data and Magnavox.
            >
            > Old-times visit InfoAge and reminisce about their Camp Evans days all
            > the time, so that's not so unusual. The part that REALLY got my
            > attention was Steve took him to see our computer exhibits, and he said,
            > "Oh, we built a tube computer here in the 1950s."
            >
            > OH REALLY .... !!!???
            >
            > That is GREAT news. MOBIDIC starting in 1956 was a very early
            > transistor computer; meanwhile the generation started by ENIAC was
            > considered over by 1953. So if he really built a tube computer at Camp
            > Evans, even if it was post-1953, that is VERY early in electronic
            > computer history. We already know that Camp Evans was a customer of the
            > Moore School's differential analyzer in 1947, so it's possible that
            > Reynolds or his colleagues attended the legendary Moore School Lectures
            > in 1946 -- I didn't think to ask him. Even if he wasn't there, it never
            > occurred to me to look at the lecture roster and see if anyone from Camp
            > Evans was there. I'm going to check it out immediately. Meanwhile, he
            > did say that he's got a color negative of him standing with the
            > computer, and that InfoAge is welcome to scan it. That means we can
            > make it into a big poster. He added that he's got a huge scrapbook of
            > his time at Camp Evans. So, Fred and I were very excited about this.
            > He's going to come by Wednesday afternoon, bring his scrapbook, and do
            > an on-camera interview with Fred. Fred says I can ask the
            > computer-related questions. This will be fun. And if Camp Evans really
            > did build its own tube computer in the 1950s, well, that is a BIG
            > addition to our rich history. It's something we can really brag about.
            > It's also possible that the computer was classified, and that would
            > explain why it's not on the list of early computers in history books.
            > For example, I have a book called "An Introduction to Automatic
            > Computers" which is very thorough and highly regarded by serious
            > historians. It lists the Monrobot-1 (1953) being at Ft. Monmouth, which
            > could mean Camp Evans; I don't know any details. Then again, the book
            > also lists DYSEAC (1954) also as Ft. Monmouth, which to my knowledge is
            > a typo -- DYSEAC was built at the National Bureau of Standards (D.C.)
            > and tested at the White Sands Signal Agency (New Mexico).

            "Tu-be or not tu-be, that is the question." :-)
          • Bob Schwier
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 18 7:33 AM
              `Alas, you still don't have a keyboard for those LISA's. I'm amazed.
              I now seem to be holding a MacIntosh Performa with hard drive and CD
              and manuals but no monitor or keyboard.
              bs