Re: [midatlanticretro] our second microcomputer exhibit -- opinions please

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

      >> What's the use of having something locked away, when it could be on
      >display?
      >
      >"That's what she said"...?
      >
      >Unbelievable as this may sound, I think the majority of micros that we
      >discussed so far are either working or could be made to work. Most of
      >our systems that are cool but probably need ZOUNDS of work are the
      >minis/mainframes.

      I have a mini here that needs no work at all! ;)
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
        On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        - Northstar  ......it's the pre '77 generation

        PS - We don't have any N*, we'd have to get one.

        But you listed it just now

        - OSI ............it's the pre '77 generation (which one??)

        Not sure.  I forget, was it Bill Deg. or someone else who rescued some OSI gear for us a few months ago?

        oops another copy/paste typo - that wasn't pre-'77, rather after

        - Atari 800 .....part of the '77 trio

        Wrong!  1979 dude.

        that 2nd oil crisis tended to blur everything from 77-79,  if you were there, together with all these new micro's  ;)

        Rather than another Top20 list as with these weenie wannabe millennial generation tech writers who profess to be insightful on historical technology

        --no offense anyone, just core dumping ;)

        or they can be called microsoft millennials ~haa

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011

          PS - We don't have any N*, we'd have to get one.

          But you listed it just now

          I make mistakes sometimes too.  Very rare though.   :)
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 17, 2011
            Busy day. Jeff F. dropped off another Lisa 2 -- sans keyboard just like
            our other two Lisa 2 systems. Funny story: it came from someone who saw
            our booth at Trenton. The guy said he had an Apple III. I called him
            to say thank you, and to inform him that although we're grateful, it's a
            Lisa 2, not an Apple III. We both had a harmless laugh over his
            misunderstanding. He said, "Well, I also have a Lisa laptop" -- and he
            wasn't kidding. "Excuse me? I'm sorry but you are mistaken again.
            There was no Lisa laptop." "No, it's a Lisa laptop. It's around the
            size of a laptop, with a handle on the back and a 5-1/4" floppy drive
            built into the right side." "You mean an Apple IIc?" "Oh. ....." :)

            I also showed Jeff around our H-building storage. He hasn't been by
            since we moved out of that small corner in the adjacent section. But he
            was one of the people who helped us stuff everything into that corner a
            couple of years ago, so he was quite amazed to see how the collection
            has grown!

            Matt couldn't come today and Jeff J. is on vacation, so it was just me
            and Jeff B. all day. We closed the museum today and spend the afternoon
            in the hotel basement. We sorted all the books and magazines down there
            into library and sale piles. That took pretty much the whole day, but
            now it's finally finished.

            However today's highlight was meeting Oliver Reynolds. Who, you ask?
            Nobody in our realm ever heard of him until today. He's 88 and learned
            about InfoAge by seeing an article in the local weekly newspaper
            recently. He stopped by today and said he worked during starting after
            World War II, and then worked there on and off for a few decades --
            include outside stints at Control Data and Magnavox.

            Old-times visit InfoAge and reminisce about their Camp Evans days all
            the time, so that's not so unusual. The part that REALLY got my
            attention was Steve took him to see our computer exhibits, and he said,
            "Oh, we built a tube computer here in the 1950s."

            OH REALLY .... !!!???

            That is GREAT news. MOBIDIC starting in 1956 was a very early
            transistor computer; meanwhile the generation started by ENIAC was
            considered over by 1953. So if he really built a tube computer at Camp
            Evans, even if it was post-1953, that is VERY early in electronic
            computer history. We already know that Camp Evans was a customer of the
            Moore School's differential analyzer in 1947, so it's possible that
            Reynolds or his colleagues attended the legendary Moore School Lectures
            in 1946 -- I didn't think to ask him. Even if he wasn't there, it never
            occurred to me to look at the lecture roster and see if anyone from Camp
            Evans was there. I'm going to check it out immediately. Meanwhile, he
            did say that he's got a color negative of him standing with the
            computer, and that InfoAge is welcome to scan it. That means we can
            make it into a big poster. He added that he's got a huge scrapbook of
            his time at Camp Evans. So, Fred and I were very excited about this.
            He's going to come by Wednesday afternoon, bring his scrapbook, and do
            an on-camera interview with Fred. Fred says I can ask the
            computer-related questions. This will be fun. And if Camp Evans really
            did build its own tube computer in the 1950s, well, that is a BIG
            addition to our rich history. It's something we can really brag about.
            It's also possible that the computer was classified, and that would
            explain why it's not on the list of early computers in history books.
            For example, I have a book called "An Introduction to Automatic
            Computers" which is very thorough and highly regarded by serious
            historians. It lists the Monrobot-1 (1953) being at Ft. Monmouth, which
            could mean Camp Evans; I don't know any details. Then again, the book
            also lists DYSEAC (1954) also as Ft. Monmouth, which to my knowledge is
            a typo -- DYSEAC was built at the National Bureau of Standards (D.C.)
            and tested at the White Sands Signal Agency (New Mexico).

            Anyway .... I'll report back Wednesday.

            Next weekend, now that we finished stage one of the book sorting, we'll
            move into stage two, which is categorizing the for-sale books.
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 17, 2011
              > However today's highlight was meeting Oliver Reynolds. Who, you ask?
              > Nobody in our realm ever heard of him until today. He's 88 and learned
              > about InfoAge by seeing an article in the local weekly newspaper
              > recently. He stopped by today and said he worked during starting after
              > World War II, and then worked there on and off for a few decades --
              > include outside stints at Control Data and Magnavox.
              >
              > Old-times visit InfoAge and reminisce about their Camp Evans days all
              > the time, so that's not so unusual. The part that REALLY got my
              > attention was Steve took him to see our computer exhibits, and he said,
              > "Oh, we built a tube computer here in the 1950s."
              >
              > OH REALLY .... !!!???
              >
              > That is GREAT news. MOBIDIC starting in 1956 was a very early
              > transistor computer; meanwhile the generation started by ENIAC was
              > considered over by 1953. So if he really built a tube computer at Camp
              > Evans, even if it was post-1953, that is VERY early in electronic
              > computer history. We already know that Camp Evans was a customer of the
              > Moore School's differential analyzer in 1947, so it's possible that
              > Reynolds or his colleagues attended the legendary Moore School Lectures
              > in 1946 -- I didn't think to ask him. Even if he wasn't there, it never
              > occurred to me to look at the lecture roster and see if anyone from Camp
              > Evans was there. I'm going to check it out immediately. Meanwhile, he
              > did say that he's got a color negative of him standing with the
              > computer, and that InfoAge is welcome to scan it. That means we can
              > make it into a big poster. He added that he's got a huge scrapbook of
              > his time at Camp Evans. So, Fred and I were very excited about this.
              > He's going to come by Wednesday afternoon, bring his scrapbook, and do
              > an on-camera interview with Fred. Fred says I can ask the
              > computer-related questions. This will be fun. And if Camp Evans really
              > did build its own tube computer in the 1950s, well, that is a BIG
              > addition to our rich history. It's something we can really brag about.
              > It's also possible that the computer was classified, and that would
              > explain why it's not on the list of early computers in history books.
              > For example, I have a book called "An Introduction to Automatic
              > Computers" which is very thorough and highly regarded by serious
              > historians. It lists the Monrobot-1 (1953) being at Ft. Monmouth, which
              > could mean Camp Evans; I don't know any details. Then again, the book
              > also lists DYSEAC (1954) also as Ft. Monmouth, which to my knowledge is
              > a typo -- DYSEAC was built at the National Bureau of Standards (D.C.)
              > and tested at the White Sands Signal Agency (New Mexico).

              "Tu-be or not tu-be, that is the question." :-)
            • Bob Schwier
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 18, 2011
                `Alas, you still don't have a keyboard for those LISA's. I'm amazed.
                I now seem to be holding a MacIntosh Performa with hard drive and CD
                and manuals but no monitor or keyboard.
                bs