Re: [midatlanticretro] our second microcomputer exhibit -- opinions please

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011

      since there's room for only 6 more

      Well that figure is assuming that we show full working systems.  We could in theory put in display cases and shelves to show a few dozen computers, but they would only be the systems per se, no peripherals and not turned on.  Or, we could do some combination .....

      - Northstar  ......it's the pre '77 generation

      PS - We don't have any N*, we'd have to get one.

      - OSI ............it's the pre '77 generation (which one??)

      Not sure.  I forget, was it Bill Deg. or someone else who rescued some OSI gear for us a few months ago?

      - Atari 800 .....part of the '77 trio

      Wrong!  1979 dude.

      While it was understandable before to have just a limited selection given the small space. Now that you have more room, and later even much more, it's befitting to use chronological order, it brings a more professional appearance.

      Yeah I think you might be right about that.

      Rather than another Top20 list as with these weenie wannabe millennial generation tech writers who profess to be insightful on historical technology

      --no offense anyone, just core dumping ;)

      None taken; I'm certainly not one of them!  (Well I might be birth-wise.  Wikipedia says Gen X = born from early 60s to early 80s; it also says Gen Y a/k/a Millennial Generation = born from mid-70s to early 00s.  I was born in October 74, so I prefer the Gen X association -- especially regarding cultural references, i.e. having grown up with Atari and 8-bit micros and Reagan and using wooden card catalogs, not late-model consoles and Windows and Clinton/Bush and library terminals.)
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
        On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > Well that figure is assuming that we show full working systems. We could in
        > theory put in display cases and shelves to show a few dozen computers, but
        > they would only be the systems per se, no peripherals and not turned on. Or,
        > we could do some combination .....

        While working systems are preferable, it would be nice to display good
        looking examples of other, nonfunctional systems in our collection.
        What's the use of having something locked away, when it could be on
        display?

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
          >> Well that figure is assuming that we show full working systems. We could in theory put in display cases and shelves to show a few dozen computers, but they would only be the systems per se, no peripherals and not turned on. Or, we could do some combination .....
          > What's the use of having something locked away, when it could be on display?

          "That's what she said"...?

          Unbelievable as this may sound, I think the majority of micros that we
          discussed so far are either working or could be made to work. Most of
          our systems that are cool but probably need ZOUNDS of work are the
          minis/mainframes.
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
            Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

            >> What's the use of having something locked away, when it could be on
            >display?
            >
            >"That's what she said"...?
            >
            >Unbelievable as this may sound, I think the majority of micros that we
            >discussed so far are either working or could be made to work. Most of
            >our systems that are cool but probably need ZOUNDS of work are the
            >minis/mainframes.

            I have a mini here that needs no work at all! ;)
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
              On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

              - Northstar  ......it's the pre '77 generation

              PS - We don't have any N*, we'd have to get one.

              But you listed it just now

              - OSI ............it's the pre '77 generation (which one??)

              Not sure.  I forget, was it Bill Deg. or someone else who rescued some OSI gear for us a few months ago?

              oops another copy/paste typo - that wasn't pre-'77, rather after

              - Atari 800 .....part of the '77 trio

              Wrong!  1979 dude.

              that 2nd oil crisis tended to blur everything from 77-79,  if you were there, together with all these new micro's  ;)

              Rather than another Top20 list as with these weenie wannabe millennial generation tech writers who profess to be insightful on historical technology

              --no offense anyone, just core dumping ;)

              or they can be called microsoft millennials ~haa

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011

                PS - We don't have any N*, we'd have to get one.

                But you listed it just now

                I make mistakes sometimes too.  Very rare though.   :)
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 17, 2011
                  Busy day. Jeff F. dropped off another Lisa 2 -- sans keyboard just like
                  our other two Lisa 2 systems. Funny story: it came from someone who saw
                  our booth at Trenton. The guy said he had an Apple III. I called him
                  to say thank you, and to inform him that although we're grateful, it's a
                  Lisa 2, not an Apple III. We both had a harmless laugh over his
                  misunderstanding. He said, "Well, I also have a Lisa laptop" -- and he
                  wasn't kidding. "Excuse me? I'm sorry but you are mistaken again.
                  There was no Lisa laptop." "No, it's a Lisa laptop. It's around the
                  size of a laptop, with a handle on the back and a 5-1/4" floppy drive
                  built into the right side." "You mean an Apple IIc?" "Oh. ....." :)

                  I also showed Jeff around our H-building storage. He hasn't been by
                  since we moved out of that small corner in the adjacent section. But he
                  was one of the people who helped us stuff everything into that corner a
                  couple of years ago, so he was quite amazed to see how the collection
                  has grown!

                  Matt couldn't come today and Jeff J. is on vacation, so it was just me
                  and Jeff B. all day. We closed the museum today and spend the afternoon
                  in the hotel basement. We sorted all the books and magazines down there
                  into library and sale piles. That took pretty much the whole day, but
                  now it's finally finished.

                  However today's highlight was meeting Oliver Reynolds. Who, you ask?
                  Nobody in our realm ever heard of him until today. He's 88 and learned
                  about InfoAge by seeing an article in the local weekly newspaper
                  recently. He stopped by today and said he worked during starting after
                  World War II, and then worked there on and off for a few decades --
                  include outside stints at Control Data and Magnavox.

                  Old-times visit InfoAge and reminisce about their Camp Evans days all
                  the time, so that's not so unusual. The part that REALLY got my
                  attention was Steve took him to see our computer exhibits, and he said,
                  "Oh, we built a tube computer here in the 1950s."

                  OH REALLY .... !!!???

                  That is GREAT news. MOBIDIC starting in 1956 was a very early
                  transistor computer; meanwhile the generation started by ENIAC was
                  considered over by 1953. So if he really built a tube computer at Camp
                  Evans, even if it was post-1953, that is VERY early in electronic
                  computer history. We already know that Camp Evans was a customer of the
                  Moore School's differential analyzer in 1947, so it's possible that
                  Reynolds or his colleagues attended the legendary Moore School Lectures
                  in 1946 -- I didn't think to ask him. Even if he wasn't there, it never
                  occurred to me to look at the lecture roster and see if anyone from Camp
                  Evans was there. I'm going to check it out immediately. Meanwhile, he
                  did say that he's got a color negative of him standing with the
                  computer, and that InfoAge is welcome to scan it. That means we can
                  make it into a big poster. He added that he's got a huge scrapbook of
                  his time at Camp Evans. So, Fred and I were very excited about this.
                  He's going to come by Wednesday afternoon, bring his scrapbook, and do
                  an on-camera interview with Fred. Fred says I can ask the
                  computer-related questions. This will be fun. And if Camp Evans really
                  did build its own tube computer in the 1950s, well, that is a BIG
                  addition to our rich history. It's something we can really brag about.
                  It's also possible that the computer was classified, and that would
                  explain why it's not on the list of early computers in history books.
                  For example, I have a book called "An Introduction to Automatic
                  Computers" which is very thorough and highly regarded by serious
                  historians. It lists the Monrobot-1 (1953) being at Ft. Monmouth, which
                  could mean Camp Evans; I don't know any details. Then again, the book
                  also lists DYSEAC (1954) also as Ft. Monmouth, which to my knowledge is
                  a typo -- DYSEAC was built at the National Bureau of Standards (D.C.)
                  and tested at the White Sands Signal Agency (New Mexico).

                  Anyway .... I'll report back Wednesday.

                  Next weekend, now that we finished stage one of the book sorting, we'll
                  move into stage two, which is categorizing the for-sale books.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 17, 2011
                    > However today's highlight was meeting Oliver Reynolds. Who, you ask?
                    > Nobody in our realm ever heard of him until today. He's 88 and learned
                    > about InfoAge by seeing an article in the local weekly newspaper
                    > recently. He stopped by today and said he worked during starting after
                    > World War II, and then worked there on and off for a few decades --
                    > include outside stints at Control Data and Magnavox.
                    >
                    > Old-times visit InfoAge and reminisce about their Camp Evans days all
                    > the time, so that's not so unusual. The part that REALLY got my
                    > attention was Steve took him to see our computer exhibits, and he said,
                    > "Oh, we built a tube computer here in the 1950s."
                    >
                    > OH REALLY .... !!!???
                    >
                    > That is GREAT news. MOBIDIC starting in 1956 was a very early
                    > transistor computer; meanwhile the generation started by ENIAC was
                    > considered over by 1953. So if he really built a tube computer at Camp
                    > Evans, even if it was post-1953, that is VERY early in electronic
                    > computer history. We already know that Camp Evans was a customer of the
                    > Moore School's differential analyzer in 1947, so it's possible that
                    > Reynolds or his colleagues attended the legendary Moore School Lectures
                    > in 1946 -- I didn't think to ask him. Even if he wasn't there, it never
                    > occurred to me to look at the lecture roster and see if anyone from Camp
                    > Evans was there. I'm going to check it out immediately. Meanwhile, he
                    > did say that he's got a color negative of him standing with the
                    > computer, and that InfoAge is welcome to scan it. That means we can
                    > make it into a big poster. He added that he's got a huge scrapbook of
                    > his time at Camp Evans. So, Fred and I were very excited about this.
                    > He's going to come by Wednesday afternoon, bring his scrapbook, and do
                    > an on-camera interview with Fred. Fred says I can ask the
                    > computer-related questions. This will be fun. And if Camp Evans really
                    > did build its own tube computer in the 1950s, well, that is a BIG
                    > addition to our rich history. It's something we can really brag about.
                    > It's also possible that the computer was classified, and that would
                    > explain why it's not on the list of early computers in history books.
                    > For example, I have a book called "An Introduction to Automatic
                    > Computers" which is very thorough and highly regarded by serious
                    > historians. It lists the Monrobot-1 (1953) being at Ft. Monmouth, which
                    > could mean Camp Evans; I don't know any details. Then again, the book
                    > also lists DYSEAC (1954) also as Ft. Monmouth, which to my knowledge is
                    > a typo -- DYSEAC was built at the National Bureau of Standards (D.C.)
                    > and tested at the White Sands Signal Agency (New Mexico).

                    "Tu-be or not tu-be, that is the question." :-)
                  • Bob Schwier
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 18, 2011
                      `Alas, you still don't have a keyboard for those LISA's. I'm amazed.
                      I now seem to be holding a MacIntosh Performa with hard drive and CD
                      and manuals but no monitor or keyboard.
                      bs