Sol Libes' Mark8

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2011
      Due to VCF planning, I'm being cc:'d on a lot of emails going back and
      forth between the panelists .... they're reminiscing amongst themselves,
      etc...... saw one just now that Sol Libes (of ACGNJ / TCF fame, and VCF
      East 3.0 keynoter) sent to Jon Titus (Mark-8 minicomputer designer) ....
      Sol said, "I was one of your fans. I read your Mark-8 article in
      Radio-Electronics magazine, ordered a set of printed circuit boards.
      And, with my students, we built a unit. It was our first exposure to
      microprocessors. We learned a great deal from the undertaking. Here is
      a web page about the unit we built. I want to thank you for what you did."

      He linked to his own page:
      http://libes.com/sol/bio/Sol%27s%20First%20Microprocessor-based%20computer.html

      Neat huh?
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2011
        On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
        Due to VCF planning, I'm being cc:'d on a lot of emails going back and
        forth between the panelists ....

        [snip]
        He linked to his own page:
        http://libes.com/sol/bio/Sol%27s%20First%20Microprocessor-based%20computer.html

        Neat huh?

        Neat-O !!

        Does he still have it ??
        It would be great to see on display

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2011

          Due to VCF planning, I'm being cc:'d on a lot of emails going back and forth between the panelists ....

          [snip]
          He linked to his own page:
          http://libes.com/sol/bio/Sol%27s%20First%20Microprocessor-based%20computer.html

          Neat huh?

          Neat-O !!

          Does he still have it ??
          It would be great to see on display

          I asked; didn't get a reply yet.  I suspect not.
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2011

            Due to VCF planning, I'm being cc:'d on a lot of emails going back and forth between the panelists ....

            [snip]
            He linked to his own page:
            http://libes.com/sol/bio/Sol%27s%20First%20Microprocessor-based%20computer.html

            Neat huh?

            Neat-O !!

            Does he still have it ??
            It would be great to see on display

            I asked; didn't get a reply yet.  I suspect not.

            Funny timing, he just wrote back, sold it long ago.   :(

            Mark-8 is one of the conspicuous absences from our early/mid-70s collection -- the ones we lack are the ones that are hardest to find.  Mark-8; Datapoint; MCM; etc.

            Speaking of which, there's a rumor that we might finally get a Processor Tech SOL-20 this weekend!  YIPPEE
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2011
              On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > Speaking of which, there's a rumor that we might finally get a Processor Tech
              > SOL-20 this weekend! YIPPEE

              Very nice. That one's on my wanted list.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Mr Ian Primus
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2011
                --- On Mon, 2/28/11, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                > > Speaking of which, there's a rumor that we might
                > finally get a Processor Tech
                > > SOL-20 this weekend! YIPPEE
                >
                > Very nice. That one's on my wanted
                > list.

                Heh. Me too. I think everyone wants one of those. Of course, the keyboard is going to need re-foaming, but that's not a big deal. I just recently did my Franklin Ace keyboard (same Keytronic mechanism), using foam weatherstripping and this nice little punch a machinist friend made for me.

                -Ian
              • Bruce Freeman
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
                  Have you guys ever considered reconstructing a computer like the Mark-8?  I.e., building a "new" "old computer"?

                  http://www.compusaur.com/Mark8files/mark8.html

                  Maybe some hackerspace would get excited about such a project.

                  --
                  Bruce
                  NJ