Productive day @ museum

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 27, 2011
      We had around 15 visitors on our first day back open today. Nick Lordi also visited today.

      Meanwhile, Jeff B., Jeff J., and Matt all helped organize and move hardware and books from our fifth (current) museum room into our H-building storage area.

      This fifth room, which used to be devoted to NJ-centric computer companies, will become our second microcomputer room. Visitors are always asking where's this, where's that, re: all the popular micros that aren't in our first micro room. So now we will have a place for many of those (some full systems; others static + boxes and stuff.)

      Fred also gave us permission to use the SIXTH room in our hallway. That's great news! In that room we'll make a transitionary exhibit between micros vs. current technology. Laptops, handheld, Internet, iMac, etc.

      This will give us two new exhibits ahead of VCF. Lots more for people to see. Exciting stuff!
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
        > This fifth room, which used to be devoted to NJ-centric computer companies, will become our second microcomputer room. Visitors are always asking where's this, where's that, re: all the popular micros that aren't in our first micro room. So now we will have a place for many of those (some full systems; others static + boxes and stuff.)

        My mind started wandering .... luckily I was able to catch it! And
        here's what it was thinking....

        This second micro room is the same size (I think; haven't measured) as
        our current micro room. That means we can fit six desks, each
        containing one full system.

        In the current micro room, we have an Apple II, Commodore PET 2001,
        TRS-80, IBM PC 5150, Commodore 64, and original Macintosh. In this
        second room, which additional desktops should we display?

        Some ideas:
        - Atari 400 or 800
        - TI-99/4A
        - Sinclair
        - Amiga (original or one of the later models?)
        - PC jr.
        - OSI
        - Northstar
        - MSX
        - Tandy CoCo
        - Sony SMC-70
        - DEC Rainbow / Robin (Jim S.: which one did we get from the MIT Museum?)
        - PC running MS Windows 1.0 (vs. a PC running 3.1, which will be in the
        sixth room, re: modern history even if we hate it. ;) )

        Another question for the whole group: should we keep the current
        segregation (Micro Room 1 = "top six"; Micro Room 2 = "others"), or
        should we arrange all 12 chronologically?
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
          On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

          In the current micro room, we have an Apple II, Commodore PET 2001,
          TRS-80, IBM PC 5150, Commodore 64, and original Macintosh.  In this
          second room, which additional desktops should we display?

          since there's room for only 6 more, here's my suggestion

          Some ideas:
          - Northstar  ......it's the pre '77 generation
          - OSI ............it's the pre '77 generation (which one??)
          - Atari 800 .....part of the '77 trio
          - TI-99/4A  .....16bit home micro
          - Amiga 1000 .....need an excuse ?
          - PC running MS Windows 1.0 ....even if we hate it.  ;)  .....because it was

          Another question for the whole group: should we keep the current
          segregation (Micro Room 1 = "top six"; Micro Room 2 = "others"), or
          should we arrange all 12 chronologically?

          While it was understandable before to have just a limited selection given the small space. Now that you have more room, and later even much more, it's befitting to use chronological order, it brings a more professional appearance.

          Rather than another Top20 list as with these weenie wannabe millennial generation tech writers who profess to be insightful on historical technology

          --no offense anyone, just core dumping ;)

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011

            since there's room for only 6 more

            Well that figure is assuming that we show full working systems.  We could in theory put in display cases and shelves to show a few dozen computers, but they would only be the systems per se, no peripherals and not turned on.  Or, we could do some combination .....

            - Northstar  ......it's the pre '77 generation

            PS - We don't have any N*, we'd have to get one.

            - OSI ............it's the pre '77 generation (which one??)

            Not sure.  I forget, was it Bill Deg. or someone else who rescued some OSI gear for us a few months ago?

            - Atari 800 .....part of the '77 trio

            Wrong!  1979 dude.

            While it was understandable before to have just a limited selection given the small space. Now that you have more room, and later even much more, it's befitting to use chronological order, it brings a more professional appearance.

            Yeah I think you might be right about that.

            Rather than another Top20 list as with these weenie wannabe millennial generation tech writers who profess to be insightful on historical technology

            --no offense anyone, just core dumping ;)

            None taken; I'm certainly not one of them!  (Well I might be birth-wise.  Wikipedia says Gen X = born from early 60s to early 80s; it also says Gen Y a/k/a Millennial Generation = born from mid-70s to early 00s.  I was born in October 74, so I prefer the Gen X association -- especially regarding cultural references, i.e. having grown up with Atari and 8-bit micros and Reagan and using wooden card catalogs, not late-model consoles and Windows and Clinton/Bush and library terminals.)
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
              On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > Well that figure is assuming that we show full working systems. We could in
              > theory put in display cases and shelves to show a few dozen computers, but
              > they would only be the systems per se, no peripherals and not turned on. Or,
              > we could do some combination .....

              While working systems are preferable, it would be nice to display good
              looking examples of other, nonfunctional systems in our collection.
              What's the use of having something locked away, when it could be on
              display?

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
                >> Well that figure is assuming that we show full working systems. We could in theory put in display cases and shelves to show a few dozen computers, but they would only be the systems per se, no peripherals and not turned on. Or, we could do some combination .....
                > What's the use of having something locked away, when it could be on display?

                "That's what she said"...?

                Unbelievable as this may sound, I think the majority of micros that we
                discussed so far are either working or could be made to work. Most of
                our systems that are cool but probably need ZOUNDS of work are the
                minis/mainframes.
              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
                  Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

                  >> What's the use of having something locked away, when it could be on
                  >display?
                  >
                  >"That's what she said"...?
                  >
                  >Unbelievable as this may sound, I think the majority of micros that we
                  >discussed so far are either working or could be made to work. Most of
                  >our systems that are cool but probably need ZOUNDS of work are the
                  >minis/mainframes.

                  I have a mini here that needs no work at all! ;)
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011
                    On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                    - Northstar  ......it's the pre '77 generation

                    PS - We don't have any N*, we'd have to get one.

                    But you listed it just now

                    - OSI ............it's the pre '77 generation (which one??)

                    Not sure.  I forget, was it Bill Deg. or someone else who rescued some OSI gear for us a few months ago?

                    oops another copy/paste typo - that wasn't pre-'77, rather after

                    - Atari 800 .....part of the '77 trio

                    Wrong!  1979 dude.

                    that 2nd oil crisis tended to blur everything from 77-79,  if you were there, together with all these new micro's  ;)

                    Rather than another Top20 list as with these weenie wannabe millennial generation tech writers who profess to be insightful on historical technology

                    --no offense anyone, just core dumping ;)

                    or they can be called microsoft millennials ~haa

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 28, 2011

                      PS - We don't have any N*, we'd have to get one.

                      But you listed it just now

                      I make mistakes sometimes too.  Very rare though.   :)
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 17, 2011
                        Busy day. Jeff F. dropped off another Lisa 2 -- sans keyboard just like
                        our other two Lisa 2 systems. Funny story: it came from someone who saw
                        our booth at Trenton. The guy said he had an Apple III. I called him
                        to say thank you, and to inform him that although we're grateful, it's a
                        Lisa 2, not an Apple III. We both had a harmless laugh over his
                        misunderstanding. He said, "Well, I also have a Lisa laptop" -- and he
                        wasn't kidding. "Excuse me? I'm sorry but you are mistaken again.
                        There was no Lisa laptop." "No, it's a Lisa laptop. It's around the
                        size of a laptop, with a handle on the back and a 5-1/4" floppy drive
                        built into the right side." "You mean an Apple IIc?" "Oh. ....." :)

                        I also showed Jeff around our H-building storage. He hasn't been by
                        since we moved out of that small corner in the adjacent section. But he
                        was one of the people who helped us stuff everything into that corner a
                        couple of years ago, so he was quite amazed to see how the collection
                        has grown!

                        Matt couldn't come today and Jeff J. is on vacation, so it was just me
                        and Jeff B. all day. We closed the museum today and spend the afternoon
                        in the hotel basement. We sorted all the books and magazines down there
                        into library and sale piles. That took pretty much the whole day, but
                        now it's finally finished.

                        However today's highlight was meeting Oliver Reynolds. Who, you ask?
                        Nobody in our realm ever heard of him until today. He's 88 and learned
                        about InfoAge by seeing an article in the local weekly newspaper
                        recently. He stopped by today and said he worked during starting after
                        World War II, and then worked there on and off for a few decades --
                        include outside stints at Control Data and Magnavox.

                        Old-times visit InfoAge and reminisce about their Camp Evans days all
                        the time, so that's not so unusual. The part that REALLY got my
                        attention was Steve took him to see our computer exhibits, and he said,
                        "Oh, we built a tube computer here in the 1950s."

                        OH REALLY .... !!!???

                        That is GREAT news. MOBIDIC starting in 1956 was a very early
                        transistor computer; meanwhile the generation started by ENIAC was
                        considered over by 1953. So if he really built a tube computer at Camp
                        Evans, even if it was post-1953, that is VERY early in electronic
                        computer history. We already know that Camp Evans was a customer of the
                        Moore School's differential analyzer in 1947, so it's possible that
                        Reynolds or his colleagues attended the legendary Moore School Lectures
                        in 1946 -- I didn't think to ask him. Even if he wasn't there, it never
                        occurred to me to look at the lecture roster and see if anyone from Camp
                        Evans was there. I'm going to check it out immediately. Meanwhile, he
                        did say that he's got a color negative of him standing with the
                        computer, and that InfoAge is welcome to scan it. That means we can
                        make it into a big poster. He added that he's got a huge scrapbook of
                        his time at Camp Evans. So, Fred and I were very excited about this.
                        He's going to come by Wednesday afternoon, bring his scrapbook, and do
                        an on-camera interview with Fred. Fred says I can ask the
                        computer-related questions. This will be fun. And if Camp Evans really
                        did build its own tube computer in the 1950s, well, that is a BIG
                        addition to our rich history. It's something we can really brag about.
                        It's also possible that the computer was classified, and that would
                        explain why it's not on the list of early computers in history books.
                        For example, I have a book called "An Introduction to Automatic
                        Computers" which is very thorough and highly regarded by serious
                        historians. It lists the Monrobot-1 (1953) being at Ft. Monmouth, which
                        could mean Camp Evans; I don't know any details. Then again, the book
                        also lists DYSEAC (1954) also as Ft. Monmouth, which to my knowledge is
                        a typo -- DYSEAC was built at the National Bureau of Standards (D.C.)
                        and tested at the White Sands Signal Agency (New Mexico).

                        Anyway .... I'll report back Wednesday.

                        Next weekend, now that we finished stage one of the book sorting, we'll
                        move into stage two, which is categorizing the for-sale books.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 17, 2011
                          > However today's highlight was meeting Oliver Reynolds. Who, you ask?
                          > Nobody in our realm ever heard of him until today. He's 88 and learned
                          > about InfoAge by seeing an article in the local weekly newspaper
                          > recently. He stopped by today and said he worked during starting after
                          > World War II, and then worked there on and off for a few decades --
                          > include outside stints at Control Data and Magnavox.
                          >
                          > Old-times visit InfoAge and reminisce about their Camp Evans days all
                          > the time, so that's not so unusual. The part that REALLY got my
                          > attention was Steve took him to see our computer exhibits, and he said,
                          > "Oh, we built a tube computer here in the 1950s."
                          >
                          > OH REALLY .... !!!???
                          >
                          > That is GREAT news. MOBIDIC starting in 1956 was a very early
                          > transistor computer; meanwhile the generation started by ENIAC was
                          > considered over by 1953. So if he really built a tube computer at Camp
                          > Evans, even if it was post-1953, that is VERY early in electronic
                          > computer history. We already know that Camp Evans was a customer of the
                          > Moore School's differential analyzer in 1947, so it's possible that
                          > Reynolds or his colleagues attended the legendary Moore School Lectures
                          > in 1946 -- I didn't think to ask him. Even if he wasn't there, it never
                          > occurred to me to look at the lecture roster and see if anyone from Camp
                          > Evans was there. I'm going to check it out immediately. Meanwhile, he
                          > did say that he's got a color negative of him standing with the
                          > computer, and that InfoAge is welcome to scan it. That means we can
                          > make it into a big poster. He added that he's got a huge scrapbook of
                          > his time at Camp Evans. So, Fred and I were very excited about this.
                          > He's going to come by Wednesday afternoon, bring his scrapbook, and do
                          > an on-camera interview with Fred. Fred says I can ask the
                          > computer-related questions. This will be fun. And if Camp Evans really
                          > did build its own tube computer in the 1950s, well, that is a BIG
                          > addition to our rich history. It's something we can really brag about.
                          > It's also possible that the computer was classified, and that would
                          > explain why it's not on the list of early computers in history books.
                          > For example, I have a book called "An Introduction to Automatic
                          > Computers" which is very thorough and highly regarded by serious
                          > historians. It lists the Monrobot-1 (1953) being at Ft. Monmouth, which
                          > could mean Camp Evans; I don't know any details. Then again, the book
                          > also lists DYSEAC (1954) also as Ft. Monmouth, which to my knowledge is
                          > a typo -- DYSEAC was built at the National Bureau of Standards (D.C.)
                          > and tested at the White Sands Signal Agency (New Mexico).

                          "Tu-be or not tu-be, that is the question." :-)
                        • Bob Schwier
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 18, 2011
                            `Alas, you still don't have a keyboard for those LISA's. I'm amazed.
                            I now seem to be holding a MacIntosh Performa with hard drive and CD
                            and manuals but no monitor or keyboard.
                            bs