Re: Nintendo Virtual Boy repairs

  • BobShuster
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2011
      Update: After negotiating a partial rebate from the seller, I decided to hang on to the Virtual Boy. I bought a lot of three untested Virtual Boys on eBay, hopefully I'll get at least one good right display cable out of them, but if not I'll have some spares to attempt the repair on.

      Since Nintendo decided for some reason to glue the ribbon cable together rather than solder it, the repairs involve heating the cable (in an oven) to soften the glue so it re-adheres, which is not a permanent fix, or using drain cleaner to remove the glue, then doing the delicate soldering on each trace for a permanent fix.

      I'll keep y'all posted on my efforts, and again if anyone has any experience or other input on this, I'd love to hear from you. - Bob