Re: Looking for things to do with SIMMs

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <jscheef@y...>
      wrote:

      > Richard,
      >
      > It's an interesting idea and would/will be a terrific resource -
      > something that could induce people to become active members of
      > the organization/museum.

      That spare parts concept kinda describes my basement at the moment.
      If anyone needs any part for an older PC or Tandy computer, try
      emailing me to see if I have it. Unless I'm figuring on using the
      part for something, I would probably just give it away for postage.

      > PS - Everyone please note that I did not even mention the thought
      > about whether SIMMs of any kind are a 'vintage' part!

      Well, although some of the SIMMS would probably not be
      considered 'vintage', I have also seen a lot of projects to add
      memory to 'vintage' equipment using 30 and 72 pin SIMMS.

      I have a 16-bit ISA (or it may be VESA) ESDI controller that takes 30
      PIN simms (I think it has 16 slots). This is a two board set with an
      interconnecting bridge between the two cards.

      I'd consider that board vintage to at least some extent. This
      controller did striping, mirroring and cacheing under SCO and BSD
      linux on 386 and 486 computers quite a few years ago. Not your
      typical 486 IDE card here. It has a bar-graph LED that shows
      processor utilization (on the controller) that is real neat to watch
      under I/O load.

      Kelly
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006

        I  am happy to contribute parts to anyone who needs them (usually for free), but because I don't know what I will need and when for my own work, I prefer to keep everything I have on hand.  But, there may be a more practical alternative than storing them in a single location.

        I am waiting for Evan to officially announce (hint hint) our on-line and in production inventory system.  This will help us keep a virtual inventory of both the InfoAge and personal MARCH member collections.  We are computer people so let's find a computer solution, right?  If everyone in the group added 10-20 items I think that it would become clear that we have A LOT of stuff and would boost the reputation of the group world-wide.    If everyone in this group included their 10 favorite systems and also added 10 items that they have doubles of....or even 40 items each and we'd have a virtual inventory matched by few others.

        For example, and in tangential response to Jim, I have right now in this database a tester for 64/256K-era RAM.  Stand by for Evan's announcement.  hint hint.

        Bill D

        At 10:07 AM 1/2/2006 -0800, you wrote:
        Richard,

        It's an interesting idea and would/will be a terrific resource - something
        that could induce people to become active members of the organization/museum.
        However there are SO MANY other things we need to do first, like raising some
        money, VCF, cataloging the collection and getting the museum going that this
        and many other good ideas need to go on the back burner.

        Somewhere I think I have a box of 4164 RAM chips (64k bit) that would make a
        nice addition to such a parts bin.

        Happy New Year,
        Jim
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
          Sorry folks, I'm still catching up on things that were due on 2005, so it'll be a week or two before there is a major club update to share.  - Evan