Re: [midatlanticretro] Good day!

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 21, 2011

      On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:03:14AM -0500, system@... wrote:

      > This is why backup programs which were intended to be used for recovery
      > and restoration, and not as time wasting operations for tape operators,
      > used BCH EDC codes and a blocking factor when writing data to the tape.

      The BCH error correcting codes did exist in the 1130 time frame but expect
      were not used for these tapes. I didn't run across hardware/programs that
      used them until much later systems. How far back did you see them in use?
      The 1130 is 1965 time frame. Anybody know when the machine was retired?

      While I'm not familiar with this machine, I worked on Tape controller designs that originated from '75 where it's common to include hardware for this. In general, the Linear Feedback Shift Register circuits generating BCH codes go back as far the 1950's along with the decoding algorithms. I would expect IBM too would have this in their system.