Looking for things to do with SIMMs

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
      OK, I have several hundred various SIMM sticks. One half would be 1 meg
      30 pin stuff. The rest is 72pin stock of varying sizes up to 32 meg.

      Any suggestions for a project to use these up? Anyone need any?

      This is just taking up more space than I'd rather reserve for old
      memory.

      Thanks,
      Kelly
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
        Kelly,

        Early Pentiums that use 72-pin SIMMs make excellent routers - just add two or
        three NICs stir in M0n0wall, bake for 15 minutes and you have a very flexible
        router. If one of the NICs is a Wi-Fi card, you have a really cool wireless
        router with features seen only in commercial-grade Wi-Fi equipment.

        I think we already discussed my "need" for a set or two of 4M 30-pin SIMMs (4
        or 8 sticks) for my 486 machine.

        If you can find a nice set of 32M 72-pin SIMMs, they might work well to build
        a NetBEUI to TCP/IP bridge using NT as the OS. I have some vague idea that
        this could be useful for the museum.

        Jim

        --- Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:

        > OK, I have several hundred various SIMM sticks. One half would be 1 meg
        > 30 pin stuff. The rest is 72pin stock of varying sizes up to 32 meg.
        >
        > Any suggestions for a project to use these up? Anyone need any?
        >
        > This is just taking up more space than I'd rather reserve for old
        > memory.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Kelly

      • Richard A. Cini
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
          You know, this brings up an interesting idea. I don't know if this was
          discussed previously but why can't we have a "vintage parts stockroom" at
          InfoAge? A few sets of steel shelving and some boxes would enable us to
          aggregate and inventory our collective spare hardware for use among the
          members. So, if someone is looking for an ISA serial card or a monochrome
          video card, they'd know where to go.

          In reality, this is probably too hard to implement because the shipping
          burden would fall to someone close, but if you're within driving distance,
          it might make sense.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
            Richard,

            It's an interesting idea and would/will be a terrific resource - something
            that could induce people to become active members of the organization/museum.
            However there are SO MANY other things we need to do first, like raising some
            money, VCF, cataloging the collection and getting the museum going that this
            and many other good ideas need to go on the back burner.

            Somewhere I think I have a box of 4164 RAM chips (64k bit) that would make a
            nice addition to such a parts bin.

            Happy New Year,
            Jim

            PS - Everyone please note that I did not even mention the thought about
            whether SIMMs of any kind are a 'vintage' part!

            --- "Richard A. Cini" <rcini@...> wrote:

            > You know, this brings up an interesting idea. I don't know if this was
            > discussed previously but why can't we have a "vintage parts stockroom" at
            > InfoAge? A few sets of steel shelving and some boxes would enable us to
            > aggregate and inventory our collective spare hardware for use among the
            > members. So, if someone is looking for an ISA serial card or a monochrome
            > video card, they'd know where to go.
            >
            > In reality, this is probably too hard to implement because the shipping
            > burden would fall to someone close, but if you're within driving distance,
            > it might make sense.

          • Kelly Leavitt
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <jscheef@y...>
              wrote:

              > Richard,
              >
              > It's an interesting idea and would/will be a terrific resource -
              > something that could induce people to become active members of
              > the organization/museum.

              That spare parts concept kinda describes my basement at the moment.
              If anyone needs any part for an older PC or Tandy computer, try
              emailing me to see if I have it. Unless I'm figuring on using the
              part for something, I would probably just give it away for postage.

              > PS - Everyone please note that I did not even mention the thought
              > about whether SIMMs of any kind are a 'vintage' part!

              Well, although some of the SIMMS would probably not be
              considered 'vintage', I have also seen a lot of projects to add
              memory to 'vintage' equipment using 30 and 72 pin SIMMS.

              I have a 16-bit ISA (or it may be VESA) ESDI controller that takes 30
              PIN simms (I think it has 16 slots). This is a two board set with an
              interconnecting bridge between the two cards.

              I'd consider that board vintage to at least some extent. This
              controller did striping, mirroring and cacheing under SCO and BSD
              linux on 386 and 486 computers quite a few years ago. Not your
              typical 486 IDE card here. It has a bar-graph LED that shows
              processor utilization (on the controller) that is real neat to watch
              under I/O load.

              Kelly
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006

                I  am happy to contribute parts to anyone who needs them (usually for free), but because I don't know what I will need and when for my own work, I prefer to keep everything I have on hand.  But, there may be a more practical alternative than storing them in a single location.

                I am waiting for Evan to officially announce (hint hint) our on-line and in production inventory system.  This will help us keep a virtual inventory of both the InfoAge and personal MARCH member collections.  We are computer people so let's find a computer solution, right?  If everyone in the group added 10-20 items I think that it would become clear that we have A LOT of stuff and would boost the reputation of the group world-wide.    If everyone in this group included their 10 favorite systems and also added 10 items that they have doubles of....or even 40 items each and we'd have a virtual inventory matched by few others.

                For example, and in tangential response to Jim, I have right now in this database a tester for 64/256K-era RAM.  Stand by for Evan's announcement.  hint hint.

                Bill D

                At 10:07 AM 1/2/2006 -0800, you wrote:
                Richard,

                It's an interesting idea and would/will be a terrific resource - something
                that could induce people to become active members of the organization/museum.
                However there are SO MANY other things we need to do first, like raising some
                money, VCF, cataloging the collection and getting the museum going that this
                and many other good ideas need to go on the back burner.

                Somewhere I think I have a box of 4164 RAM chips (64k bit) that would make a
                nice addition to such a parts bin.

                Happy New Year,
                Jim
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Sorry folks, I'm still catching up on things that were due on 2005, so it'll be a week or two before there is a major club update to share.  - Evan